Drift Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? Drift Wheels

Hi All,
I have a small issue at the moment.

I have recently purchased my MR4-TC SD SSG Special and purchased a 190mm RX7 Body [http://www.hobbyhabit.com.au/Retail_...05Y_item.html] and am having trouble with the wheels.

I have a few sets of wheels, but am uncertain of their offsets. One set allows me to use the 200mm bodies on it, which doesn't suit the 190mm bodies too well.

I fit my other rims and they scrape on the upper ball cup, when I turn.
What can I do to get around this issue??

Do I just adjust the steering so that I don't have so much lock?? or do I try to find the right wheels with the right offset.

Someone....... PLEASE HELP ME lol

Here's some pics showing the scrapping and rubbing.

The last photo shows where the rear 'Fake Disc Brake' has rubbed into the rear hub.

Last edited by DK2B; 03-02-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Post HELLLOOOO

HELLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO..................... anyone???
Old 03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i dont know anything about drifting or onroad cars, but i think that finding the right wheels would be your best place to start. i am thinking of building myself a drifter sometime in the future but am clueless as to what i need, lol! i know it's not much help but i figure one person responding is better than none...
Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blystr
i dont know anything about drifting or onroad cars, but i think that finding the right wheels would be your best place to start. i am thinking of building myself a drifter sometime in the future but am clueless as to what i need, lol! i know it's not much help but i figure one person responding is better than none...
Cheers Mate,
If it any help with your decision on a Drifter, go for the Yokomo, but buy a Brand New one. My second Hand one has had to have a 'Full Re-Build and I have only had it roughly 4 weeks now. Regardless of my issues, Yokomos are definitely the way to go and you can actually buy the Yokomo drift package.

This not a spam a such, but just for your record, think abnout one of these:
http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-yok...4-p-28153.html

There are many suppliers of this chassis and I am certain that you will not be dissappointed

If anyone could give me any information on my current issue, that would be grately appreciated
Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DK2B
Hi All,
I have a small issue at the moment.

I fit my other rims and they scrape on the upper ball cup, when I turn.
What can I do to get around this issue??

Do I just adjust the steering so that I don't have so much lock?? or do I try to find the right wheels with the right offset.

Someone....... PLEASE HELP ME lol
does it only happen on full lock? pictures? my buddy has one and i dont recall it having that problem even with 0mm offset rims... Ill have to double check when i get a chance but if its just a ball cup, just shave it down a bit with a file, ball cups are inexpensive and easy to replace.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Oh please don't do that !! It's a simple solution and one that many of us deal with whether it's a drifter or a touring car. Some chassis use a very shallow wheel hub (in other words they don't have much, if any offset ) Many wheels will rub on the upper ball cup and NO....different offset won't solve the problem. Simply put a washer on the axle before you put the wheel on. It should be just large enough to fit the hex opening on the back of the wheel. Use what ever thickness you need to make the inner part of the wheel clear the ball cup. Don't go too thick or you may not have enough axle left to adequately tighten the wheel down. I always make sure that when I tighten wheel nuts, the axle tip must meet the edge of the wheel nut. You probably won't need that much spacing so thats at the extreme. use same size washers on each side of course.
BTW, to clarify...Many high performance chassis will have your problem simply because they're designed to primarily use 24mm racing wheels. When using 26mm wheels, you run into the problem you're having and thats why offsets won't help.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Evoracer
Oh please don't do that !! It's a simple solution and one that many of us deal with whether it's a drifter or a touring car. Some chassis use a very shallow wheel hub (in other words they don't have much, if any offset ) Many wheels will rub on the upper ball cup and NO....different offset won't solve the problem. Simply put a washer on the axle before you put the wheel on. It should be just large enough to fit the hex opening on the back of the wheel. Use what ever thickness you need to make the inner part of the wheel clear the ball cup. Don't go too thick or you may not have enough axle left to adequately tighten the wheel down. I always make sure that when I tighten wheel nuts, the axle tip must meet the edge of the wheel nut. You probably won't need that much spacing so thats at the extreme. use same size washers on each side of course.
BTW, to clarify...Many high performance chassis will have your problem simply because they're designed to primarily use 24mm racing wheels. When using 26mm wheels, you run into the problem you're having and thats why offsets won't help.
Thanks for the insight, I realize now why I never had that problem with that car, and it was because it has 24mm tamiya rims mounted on it.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Team Tekin

You need +3 offset for 190mm bodies. I run +6 on my 200mm STi body and with a little camber they tuck right up into the fenders perfectly. My chassis allows for too much steering throw and the inner lip of the wheel will rub the shock end, you just need to adjust your steering EPAs on your radio (if you have the option) to prevent rubbing.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up Thankyou

Cheers for all the input everyone, grately appreciated.

I think that I will purchase a set of wheels with the +3 offset and will also try the washer with my current wheels.

I like having a selection of wheels to choose from, so another set would be nice.

Once again, THANKYOU to ALL for the tips and advice, much appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to use this thread to discuss wheels, Rims, offsets etc if you all like.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

I have a retired SD SSG that I just use for sporting around or if I want to drift. Just like Ty I use a +3 in the front and +6 in the back. Thats on 200mm Shells. HPI Vintage shells are 210mm in the back so I will go +3 and +9 on Vintage shells. Sometimes +6 and+9.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
I have a retired SD SSG that I just use for sporting around or if I want to drift. Just like Ty I use a +3 in the front and +6 in the back. Thats on 200mm Shells. HPI Vintage shells are 210mm in the back so I will go +3 and +9 on Vintage shells. Sometimes +6 and+9.

So the 3mm offset wont be any good with the 190mm body??

I think that my main set of wheels that I use with the 200mm body is +6, but am not 100% certain.

I'm probably just going to buy a cheap set of +3 and test from there

This is all a part of learning and I need to learn lol
Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Champion

I will tell you one thing. The HPI LP series of drift tires should not have a problem there because the inner diameter is larger. I use them with a Vintage shell that is 200mm in the front and 210mm in the back. Usually I will put an LP32size tire in the back sometimes an LP35. They use odd size tires so check the website for tires that match.

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/33459/

Last edited by snoopyrc; 03-03-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Fake Brakes

Okay, I think that we have reached a conclusion as to my wheels scrapping

Just looking at my wheels, it appears that they have a smaller diametre.

The diametre of wheels which I got with the RX7 Body are 49-50mm.

The diametre of the wheels that I have just purchased are 52mm and have the 3mm offset.

These are the ones that I just purchased:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...vp3320072_code

Hopefully they will get me out of trouble lol

Next thing is....... Fake Brakes!! How do I get around them rubbing on the rear hub?
Are Fake Brakes really worth the effort? I now need to go out and spend another $20.00 on new hubs again...... Those were actually brand new grrr lol
Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

What kind of ball cup is that? It looks fatter than stock.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Stock

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
What kind of ball cup is that? It looks fatter than stock.
It is actually a Stock Nylon Type

My LHS reccommended it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.