Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Acer Ceramics need help! >

Acer Ceramics need help!

Acer Ceramics need help!

Old 08-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I agree with Coxy,

The Acer's is using polyamide seal.. they have to be "run-in" then only you'll get smooth free spining.... When you run the bearing, the seal will be seated and fit just nice.
But, If your bearing totally binding dead, you should call them..

cheers...
Old 08-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys for your help, i finally got a call from someone at acer, he told me to remove the seal on one side spray the heck out of them and re oil them i did but no difference i even soaked them for 2 hours in motor cleaner, & still no difference i ran 9 packs while sitting on the stand, wheels off about 1/3 throttle with a stock motor, i think i just got a bad set, it can happen, so im going to send them back he said no problem, maybe i will try them again if i can inspect them at a hobby shop before i buy them, thanks again for your input.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I must say that I am pretty curious to try these fellas out in my car. I am yet to get them of course, but I may get them soon, a bit unsure. Is the run in period about 10 runs or longer?? I've heard something like guys saying it gets better after a month or so.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

stll does not justify the fact that you pay 100 bucks for bearings and in a month or so they will run great or you have to break them in. gee for that price why dont they do the work. Quality control is always the most important division of any business!!!
Old 09-10-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ALBERTO
stll does not justify the fact that you pay 100 bucks for bearings and in a month or so they will run great or you have to break them in. gee for that price why dont they do the work. Quality control is always the most important division of any business!!!
Trust me, it will not take a month to get these bearing to spin freely. It will take about 5-6 packs run through them. After that initial break in, the more you run them the better they get. Also, if you run on carpet or a dirty track, there is NO better seal to keep out carpet fibers and dirt!

I have run my one set (one of four...all my cars have these bearings!) for over 2 seasons in my TC3 and have never had to replace one bearing from that set. I have only cleaned and relubed them 3 times during this period and my car free wheels as long as any I have seen.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Tech Regular

The current batch of Acer Ceramics do not use polyamide shields. They are shielded with a red rubber shield. They won't spin as freely when they are new compared to say metal shield bearings but they will after a few battery packs are put through the car. They also come packed with thick grease so it would be a good idea to flush them out and re-oiled with some bearing oil.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Okay, that's great to hear. I hope that I get these sometime and play with them. I'll let you know how I go!
Old 09-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Tech Addict

Default I am be looking to order a set, but...

can you get them with polyamide shields or do they not sell them anymore. Some one said the current batch was red sealed. Are these bearing over hyped or should I just get a good set of teflon bearings from AE and degrease them? Ceramics are a big investment.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Default any...

response?
Old 09-12-2004, 10:50 PM
Tech Elite

I have no idea! I would just go to www.acerracing.com and see what it comes with and order it from there. If they don't have what you want or you want something different, contact them.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: I am be looking to order a set, but...

Originally posted by Nightbreed
can you get them with polyamide shields or do they not sell them anymore. Some one said the current batch was red sealed. Are these bearing over hyped or should I just get a good set of teflon bearings from AE and degrease them? Ceramics are a big investment.
I believe all the ceramic bearings from Acerracing are rubber shielded. They came with polyamide shield some time ago.

The only bearings with a polyamide shield are the non-ceramic bearings.

There is nothing wrong with the rubber shields I put about 5-6 packs through them and they feel silky smooth. Just flush and re-oil.

For some strange reason they don't spin as smooth when you spin them on your finger but when they go into the car and you spin the drive train, they feel much smoother than my old kit bearings in my TRF415.

Bear in mind that while the non-ceramics bearings may spin longer it could be due to the fact that they are heavier than the ceramic bearings. In my opinion smoothness is much more important than spin time.