Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wheel flicking

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Default Wheel flicking

Got a problem in that I have started flicking the wheel on my controller. I am letting go of the wheel to return it to centre.I have had a few guys pickup on the sound it makes when it bounces on the neutral position. First question is how will this effect my driving and second question is how or what is the best way to stop. Its hard as i dont realise i am doing it. I have triad a stick radio but it was worse as i was flicking the steering and throttle sticks.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

While I wouldn't recommend doing it, there are some very successful drivers that do.

If you are just doing it for small corrections on the straight, I think that's fine. If you do it everywhere, work on stopping it.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I see this alot with our new drivers. Try setting your radio up with 0 exponential, steering speed at high or 0 for max servo speed. 0 toe or 1 degree out in front. All this will make the car twitchy and amplify any movements. if you "flick" the car will be a handful both on straights and especially in turns. It might help break you of the habit. It's not a good one no matter what.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Good idea I hadnt thought of that. I did have a go at really trying to keep my hands on the wheel and it was almost like learning again. Guess I will just have to bite the bullet and stick at it.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

As a last resort. Put double sided tape on the wheel, it will make it harder to let go and when you do you will know.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Evoracer
I see this alot with our new drivers. Try setting your radio up with 0 exponential, steering speed at high or 0 for max servo speed. 0 toe or 1 degree out in front. All this will make the car twitchy and amplify any movements. if you "flick" the car will be a handful both on straights and especially in turns. It might help break you of the habit. It's not a good one no matter what.
+1

I drive a twitchy car anyway, but not using expo prevents me from wheel flicking

also try decreasing your dead zone at the centre of the wheel, that way if it flicks shut, there is a good chance the the vibration around the center will be transfered to the car, making the car unstable. That way you stop flicking, else you are effectively "getting away" with it because of the dead zone