R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   IRONMAN discussion, all classes at an event. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/484836-ironman-discussion-all-classes-event.html)

Bob-Stormer 02-22-2011 12:32 AM

IRONMAN discussion, all classes at an event.

Who's a true "Iron Man"? To do it, you have to run ALL the classes at an event, and unless it's 6 or 7 or more, don't expect to get much respect here. :lol:

4 classes? ...pfffft... everybody does that.

Post up any tricks you've learned about running a LOT of classes at an event.
Help out your fellow Iron men.

Bob-Stormer 02-22-2011 12:41 AM

Few tricks we've learned.

1) Run LONG charge leads, like 48" or more. Helps a lot when your pit area is full of cars.

2) Put all your body clips in one area, like a little bin of some kind. You'll be using them a LOT. Be organized.

3) If you have a LOT of chargers, and you will need them, put the 1s cars and 2s cars on opposite sides of your main pit space. Helps sort out what's what.

Here's a picture of our entrys from last weekend. For the 3 of us from Stormer Hobbies, with spec tires was $405 for entry fees. which isn't all that bad if you figure we had 21 entrys, were in 105 heats and mains, not including practice. It was fun, but stressful. I think we all made every qualifier and main and every single corner marshal. Well, close, Evan missed one qualifier, I had 2 DNF's when a siezed bearing got so hot that it melted the center out of a wheel (2 different times before I figured out what it was).

Good fun.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5171/...1786a823_b.jpg

blazeblazucki 02-22-2011 02:37 AM

My best "iron man" race was in 5 classes.

However in my opinion it was a lot because we only had 6 classes at this event.

I only missed one because it was some sort of beginner class.

I run Touring mod, Touring 27t stock, Pro10, 2wd-mod, 4wd-mod.

What was most important it was a combined race onroad and ofroad, that was one year idea for organizing the Polish National Championships ( outdoor)

Total number of drivers less than 100. Onroad classes in the morning 7-13 and ofroad classes 13-19 ( or something like that). They make onroad run first in order not to cover the track with dust from ofroad track.

So the tips i used
1- get someone for marshaling ( i had only 5-10 minutes between my heats)

2- be very organized with batteries , you need to have some marking system to know which pack is charged and which is after run.

3- check you chargers if they are charging ( sometimes even little voltage drop can switch of charging, or someone passing by can move by accident one of the wires)

4-keep your soldering iron always on ( you cant wait 3 minutes till its hot )

I used to have back up transmitter , receiver and esc already programed just as others. its always best to have the same type of electronics in all cars.

My memories from racing in "all classes at an event" ?? Its a lot of fun till something goes wrong. Such event must be without mistake.

My results from mentioned Nationals:
Touring stock- 3 place ,
Pro10-3 place
2wd- 1place
4wd-2 place

I didn't make podium in Touring mod because of some technical problem but it wasn't possible to solve them without spoiling other classes.

heretic 02-22-2011 04:13 AM

Wow , that is a marathon. Pro10 and 2wd offroad the same day, must be a hard switch to make ! I had a friend trying to race 1/12 and TC the same day and he told me he just couldn't switch fast enough to make it worthy. The difference is that he was running both alternatively, back and forth so it was quite exhausting on the nerves; whereas you make the driving style change only once in your case. Congrats, still !

I've never raced several classes except in pracice, but getting a battery/tires/marshalling slave sounds like a great idea. :lol::lol:

The long charging wires are a clever addition, too. And keep note of everything, especially setup chages, to remember what car did what and what you changed, etc.

Timbulb 02-22-2011 04:44 AM

Obviously lax rules on putting your lipos in a lipo sack help save time. :sneaky:

CarbonJoe 02-22-2011 05:05 AM

The iMax Quattro chargers are ideal for this (4 chargers in one box). Label the ends of the charger wires with a piece of tape so you don't have to trace them back to the right charger. Hustle back to the pits before marshalling and get the battery charging. Don't forget receiver packs!

Write down the heat order so you don't forget and know what order to sauce your tires. Update it after the resort.

Keep tools in a central, consistent location so you don't have to hunt for a specific tool. Line them up in order by size as well.

Run the same brands in similar types of cars (1/12 scale , WGT) so you have common parts. Best of all, don't break anything.

BoneCrusher 02-22-2011 09:44 AM

Have to admit you guys did a pretty good job in Regina. I did find your 4 feet long charging leads very helpful though.

You just need to clean up your pit area a bit better. Looked like a disaster zone between the 3 of you. My entry fee was only $105 cause I only got 1 set of spec tires (had to change tires between touring chassis though) and if you want to make it more difficult, try running one 12th scale in both classes where you had to change motor/pinion/esc setting. No time for tire change there and same set for the whole weekend. Also, no practicing or car testing between Saturday/Sunday.

So for me, 7 entries, 35 heats with no breakage and completed all races. Only needed volunteer marshal once during each round cause I was back to back. Results were okay with all A Main qualifying with 6 top 5 finishes and a win. Pretty impressed with you and Randon though winning 3 of the 7 events too…but missed all three of you in the Superstock Touring A Main though…..rookies. :p

Hope to race with the Stormer Hobbies Crew again soon! :nod:

Ivan

theisgroup 02-22-2011 09:51 AM

dumas did 5 at this years snowbirds. he could not run anymore because the other classes were spec.

it helps to have bruce wrenching for you

JLock 02-22-2011 10:16 AM

I have run three classes many times at a few events in the past. It is especially hard when you have to run a back to back or run-marshal-run-marshal-run-marshal and you have very little time to check/repair your cars due to the pressed time in a short program. Now a true "ironman" is running a 30min nitro B-main and bump up, run a 45min A-main from one nitro class, then turn right around and run another 45min A-main from the bump up from the other class you were running.

rccartips 02-22-2011 01:48 PM

My friend (white shirt) did 6 classes a couple of weeks ago. The rest were kiddie classes so he couldn't do more. He almost never left the driver stand.

http://www.rccartips.com/tamiya-rc-d...nman-tutoy.jpg

He had a guy to help him with his cars and do marshalling.

syndr0me 02-22-2011 02:47 PM

When running 1 car in three classes (IIC, Snowbirds) I found it useful to create a checklist for each class, and refine it as the week went along. I include things like "check wheel nuts" for spec classes where I'm swapping tires every race, usually near the bottom.

Whenever possible, I leave pinions on the motors they're to be used with.

Arrive at the race with your gear ready to hit the track. If you dig a hole, it's hard to recover. Avoid unnecessary maintenance for the same reason.

Sorta related: Never underestimate the importance of sleep when trying to perform at a high level. Read a book on it if you're doubtful.

UrabusDenis 02-22-2011 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by rccartips (Post 8693728)
My friend (white shirt) did 6 classes a couple of weeks ago. The rest were kiddie classes so he couldn't do more. He almost never left the driver stand.

http://www.rccartips.com/tamiya-rc-d...nman-tutoy.jpg

He had a guy to help him with his cars and do marshalling.

And this isn't a kiddie class ? :D

VooDooPH 02-22-2011 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis (Post 8694324)
And this isn't a kiddie class ? :D

practice runs... :)

dumper 02-23-2011 05:56 AM

2009 Snowbirds - 6 classes, 4 road course 2 oval
2010 Snowbirds - 6 classes 3 road course 3 oval
2010 US Indoor Champs 7 classes 4 road course 3 oval (7 A mains too)

1fastdude 02-23-2011 06:05 AM

Hey Bob, a few years back I raced at our nitro track (Tri-State) for the 1/8 scale on-road World's in 2003, when finished for the day I went and raced 1/10 carpet oval at our carpet track that evening. Not a lot of classes, but certainly 2 different venues in the same day.