tire treatment

Old 02-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default tire treatment

I was wondering what you guys do with new tires. Do you use them direct from the packaging or do you clean them first? here we use lrp27x and i notice that when you clean the new tire with tire cleaner, you are removing a layer of wax or something like that. is this wax good for grip or is it better with out it??
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah, new tires need to be cleaned before running. This is what I do:

I clean 'em with denatured alcohol, then give them a spin on the tire truer and scuff sand the gloss off carefully. It's very easy to overheat the tires, and that's not good. Fist time on the car, double treat with traction compound (paragon in my case), and then about 5 minutes of zipping around the track to even them out.

Then they get cleaned again with denatured alcohol and they're ready for more paragon and racing.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

That waxy coating you noticed is a mould release that is left over from the manufacturing process and you want to clean that off for sure. After that, everyone seems to be doing something a little different. Scuffing them in with a tire sander is a good idea only if you know what you are doing.