Wiki Posts
Search

New SPEC Class racing motor from EPIC/Trinity

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Just wanted to see what you guys thought of this new offering from EPIC/Trinity. No flaming or bashing...just honest opinions good and bad of the idea and possible class.

EA
It's funny how they are playing both ends of the field, this article talks about the complexity of brushless, and another thread here has their chart about the 9 rotors possible for a D3, seriously?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm all for it I start running non-boosted at my local club and it's fun and I don't have to mess with your laptop just focus on your driving and setup. I'm only few tenths slower than my boosted car.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i really like this... this is what stock racing needs -- not 21.5T or 25.5T motors...
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
i really like this... this is what stock racing needs -- not 21.5T or 25.5T motors...
Yup,

Jacko
Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Looks like a great idea and is being executed well. Our local club is currently running 17.5 non boosted and yields close tight racing. Most nights we have a full A and B and sometimes more. Since our indoor season has started we've seen 17.5 NB slowly creep up in speeds. With a locked down timing motor this will make racing even closer then before. Yeah speed controls still come into play but at least having motors close will help. Then you have the 13.5... Perfect Super Stock motor for clubs and races were a middle TC class is needed!

Sounds like its based on a good reliable motor as well. Thats always plus in my book!

Our club will be watching with a close eye.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:58 PM
1M
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I like the concept as long as others will be allowed to "play" in the market should the choose to do so.
I agree, need more than 1 to choose from.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Spec/Locked Stock class..YES

this is what I've been waiting for...
level it all out...
No More of the ..."What da hell did he do this motor!" shizzz...
level it out...and let the driving skills take over.
but..hell even then I'll be in tha pack of da pack..

Let's see how it plays out..this spring season.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by olhipster1
this is what I've been waiting for...
level it all out...
No More of the ..."What da hell did he do this motor!" shizzz...
level it out...and let the driving skills take over.
but..hell even then I'll be in tha pack of da pack..

Let's see how it plays out..this spring season.
First of all, I do not mean to say the following to you, just to people in general that always blame it on the other guys motor or whatever. I just don't know another way to say it so please don't take it personal.

So what are you going to blame it on next? His batteries, his tires, a hacked esc, what? Face it, you just can't drive.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Old 02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ercwhtsd
EA-

It is an interesting concept and sounds as if this has been in the works for some time now seeing as how another manufacturer has also released info today on their "locked" sensor motor as well.

My question as a Trinity/Epic direct dealer account, with a carpet track and shop is this. Wouldn't it have been a benefit to release this info to ALL dealers with tracks earlier and maybe send a motor out to those tracks for use and generate interest at a club level?

Just a thought
In a perfect world it may have been a good idea to let tracks test the motors before hand but how do you choose a track, how do you choose a person to run it and how do you know the feedback is actually good due to reliable testing? Club's have already been testing this sort of class...Non boosted or Blinky 17.5 all winter. The consensus is always that its helped turn out.

Originally Posted by MikeXray
It's funny how they are playing both ends of the field, this article talks about the complexity of brushless, and another thread here has their chart about the 9 rotors possible for a D3, seriously?
all that was released several months ago. This is a new idea that has been implemented and Ernie is taking a HUGE chance on this. What if it doesnt take off or well receipted? Then he just spent a large chunk of change for no reason......There goes a Bently payment! LOL

EA
Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
First of all, I do not mean to say the following to you, just to people in general that always blame it on the other guys motor or whatever. I just don't know another way to say it so please don't take it personal.

So what are you going to blame it on next? His batteries, his tires, a hacked esc, what? Face it, you just can't drive.
I didn't take that personal....i know I can't drive..

but let's get real here....
we all see everyone tinkering with brushless motors...come'on....be for real..
When someone is geared identical to another racer...same batts...etc...and shazzam.. you get passed on a straight like you were sitting still on acid...hmm..

sure I'll play
calculate the variables...
hacked esc...hmm...wasn't that called 208 or some other number.... blinky..blink...oops..
battery.....14 months 25C, 9 months 40C, 4 months ago 65C...make sure to only warm the core...get it tech'd before it starts to increase outer shell temp...

at the end of the day...i don't really care....i go to have fun.
just nice to have something to level the field...
ps..just in case...it wasn't obvious..i was kinda poking fun at it....but still supporting the idea.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hanulec
I'm curious why you think this has anything to do with this subject ? A 21.5 and 25.5 are both slower than a 17.5 irregardless of timing, boost, or voodoo magic. There ARE classes , and more importantly DRIVERS who can benefit from ,or just plain enjoy, racing at slower speeds even lower than what some refer to as "STOCK" speeds. Hell, 27t brushed was to fast for many. VTA and GT were both created with the idea to simplify, slow down and make less expensive classes for the largest group of RC'ers that exist. That's the people we have YET to get into the hobby. Continual promotion of rc car racing as some elitist, high budget , specialized skill hobby will keep it exactly where it's at. Minimal growth...IF ANY.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:47 AM
Tech Master

I'm sure this motor will sell, and guys will praise it for a multitude of reasons, but I won't buy one.

I like the boosted classes, if for no other reason than my motors run cooler than they ever did *before* timing, and I can set my car up for more speed than I can use in most cases, even if my gearing is off by one tooth.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer

+1 on this, how is going slower going to make anyone a better driver? how did putting timing in a motor or speedo equate to everyone cheating? I've put 40 degrees timing in all my novak motors and haven't touched my tekin setup for months and i run regurally on a 60 foot and 90 foot straight and have never been down on power or speed, it's not that hard, people just make it harder than it is and it seems to be an easy excuse for people.

I do agree for begineers this is a good idea but if you have been getting lapped for years this motor isn't going to fix that problem for you.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HenBeav
+1 on this, how is going slower going to make anyone a better driver?

I do agree for begineers this is a good idea but if you have been getting lapped for years this motor isn't going to fix that problem for you.

I can't argue with your second statement. But the first one should be obvious. Take away speed and what's left ?? DRIVING and SETUP. Just my opinion but WAY to many racers are spending money and time trying to make the car "faster" when they should be learning to drive and set up the car so they can handle the car better. Everything happens faster as speed increases. THAT'S how going slower makes you a better driver.
But you're right...ASSUMING racers in a given class with a given set of equipment requirements ALL have the same LEVEL of equipment and a driver doesn't have driving skills...then he/she will always be behind.
I don't really know why this discussion is important. If people want to run with timing or boost and they have the opportunity....go for it. So what's the concern here ??? Are "stock" racers concerned that this locked timing type motor will become the standard for stock racing ?? Even if that becomes the case....so what !! If you want to go faster there's most likely a class for you beyond that. Granted, your local track or club may not offer it but ultimately that's YOUR decision.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.