Wiki Posts
Search

what are you running for steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzo416
I want to buy some Savox servos but I fear the glitch problem you're talking about. I run a Tekin speedo, a Spektrum rx, LRP X-12 17.5 boosted.
You're probably fine. I'm running several Savox servos with no issues, but I always run a glitch buster cap for extra insurance with my Tekin/Spektrum combo. Been running a second gen DX3.0 with DSM1 since August 2010 indoors and out without a single problem.

The issue is with many of the newer servos drawing much more current than they ever have, thus compounding the brown out issues, and now it looks like they're drawing enough current to actually be effecting the brain in some ESCs as well. I've seen it happen, and the glitch buster always fixed it, which is why I run them even though I personally have never had an issue.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (98%+)

Originally Posted by Buckaroo
You're probably fine. I'm running several Savox servos with no issues, but I always run a glitch buster cap for extra insurance with my Tekin/Spektrum combo. Been running a second gen DX3.0 with DSM1 since August 2010 indoors and out without a single problem.

The issue is with many of the newer servos drawing much more current than they ever have, thus compounding the brown out issues, and now it looks like they're drawing enough current to actually be effecting the brain in some ESCs as well. I've seen it happen, and the glitch buster always fixed it, which is why I run them even though I personally have never had an issue.
Where can I get them?
Do you have a link?
Thanks
Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gonzo416
Where can I get them?
Do you have a link?
Thanks
Link to Tower Hobbies for the Novak

That's the link to the original, but it's huge and priced to match! The Spektrum one is about $6 and half the size (more cask of whiskey to the Novak keg-o-powder!!). Both work fine.

If you do a little poking around, especially on ebay, you can find them for about $5, but I'd work through my track/local hobby store (NOT Hobby Town) before paying shipping unless I was already getting something else.

List of glitch buster caps from Amain Hobbies

I run the Spektrum and a few generic ones, never had an issue with my 10th TCs.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

I have had good luck with INOLAB servos and they are a cheaper brand who are mainly into heli's but changing to a quality servo like the Ko servos I have had zero issues. I did start having some issues with my HW speedy and glitching issues on my then KO radio. It was suggested that i get a novak glitch buster and all my problems went away. I switched to Airtronics recently but have kept the buster in the set up as I think it makes a difference especially if you are running a personal transponder at a big event. If your handy get yourself a 10v 5600uf capacitor and solder it up with a plug and your away.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I run a spektrum cap, but you have to be careful of the joint between the wire leads and the cap. The wires are very thin and can break. I had to re-solder one of mine, and I triple shrink wrapped it for stress relief. I think it probably broke when I zip-tied it close to the cap.

-Mike
Old 02-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I run a spektrum cap, but you have to be careful of the joint between the wire leads and the cap. The wires are very thin and can break. I had to re-solder one of mine, and I triple shrink wrapped it for stress relief. I think it probably broke when I zip-tied it close to the cap.

-Mike
what is the spektrum Cap for? glitching?
Old 02-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bigben1165
cheaper servos put of lot of hash & noise back into the receiver- I saw this on my oscilloscope. The cap helps filter it
Otherwise the spectrum rx will reset/restart, often (glitching)

Not needed with good servos :Futaba, KoPro etc
Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1101
cheaper servos put of lot of hash & noise back into the receiver- I saw this on my oscilloscope. The cap helps filter it
Otherwise the spectrum rx will reset/restart, often (glitching)

Not needed with good servos :Futaba, KoPro etc
Yeah, basically that. When I upgraded to a used DX3R from my old 75mhz stuff, I bought it because more than a few people on the Tekin RS thread were talking about brownouts with Spektrum + Tekin causing crashes. I figured $6 and a few grams to maybe avoid that was worth it. I haven't had any issues with either a BLS551, or a Savox 1251. Just running 25.5-17.5, though. No mod, and only occasional boost.

I actually just put my extra 1251 into my 17.5 car, mostly for the hell of it. It's actually quite a bit smaller (7mm if I remember correctly) than the BLS 551 in terms of height (the dimension along the axis of the motor / output spline). Not sure if it's lighter.

It doesn't seem quite as fast, even though the spec is a bit lower. But it's still quite fast. The gears also seem less robust, judging by the amount of time I've run the futaba without stripping any gears, vs. the amount of time I ran a Savox before stripping a gear (without a servo saver in both cases). But it's hard to argue with the price and $11.50 for a gear set if you do strip it. I run servo savers in both my cars now.

-Mike
Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

ill just get a middle of the road spektrum servo and call it good
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

ill just get a middle of the road spektrum servo and call it good
Heh, Heh, You know what I'm gonna tell you !!
The servo saver comment brings up a good point. For the life of me I can't understand why anybody would try to go without one. Especially in off road use. Us touring car guys have it a bit easier but I still use one simply to balance out the load from a bump or a wreck. Some cars/trucks have a saver built in to the steering but that still translates to the servo taking a beating. Every little bit helps.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

all this servo talk is making my brain hurt i liked it better when i could buy any servo i wanted and run it without issue.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

I'm using a Savox SC-1251MG Low Profile Digital "High Speed" Metal Gear Servo in my TA-05 V2, and a Savox SC-1257TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo in my FF-03
Old 02-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SteveM
I'm using a Savox SC-1251MG Low Profile Digital "High Speed" Metal Gear Servo in my TA-05 V2, and a Savox SC-1257TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo in my FF-03

bigben....Now you HAVE to get a Savox. Look, even the Canadians are doing it !!!! Hi Steve !!
Welcome to forum talk Ben.....it's like information overload sometimes.
can't remember the commercial but I quote " JUST DO IT !!"
Old 02-22-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Addict

Savox SC-1251MG

Specifications:
Speed @ 6.0V: .09
Torque @ 6.0V: 125 oz-in / 9.0 kg-cm
Weight: 44.5g
Bearing: Dual
Type: Low Profile
Gear: Metal
Output Shaft: 25T Spline (Futaba)
Case: Aluminum Heatsink
Case Size (LxWxH): 40.8x20.2x25.4mm
Running it in a T3 17.5 sportsman class with no problems.