R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Racing Etiquette (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/482293-racing-etiquette.html)

Dadic 78 02-14-2011 05:36 PM

Racing Etiquette

This coming Friday will be my first time racing in an organized race league. Can you guys that have been racing for a while suggest some racing etiquette for someone in my position to keep in mind? BTW, I'm 32 and just coming out racing for fun. I will be racing 1/10th TC 4WD on carpet.

I've spent the last 12 years in the gym, and there's nothing more obnoxious than the new young guys that come in, throwing weights around, grunting, groaning, and flexing their "muscles" in the mirror... UGH... Etiquette...

Thanks in advance!

hanzo3 02-14-2011 05:42 PM

Just have fun. Just say nice race to people. Remember, you have to turn marshal after your race!

http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebp...?page=article8

mxrich 02-14-2011 05:43 PM

Keep it fun more than anything else. Hang out with the cutups (usually older racers) and enjoy the bench racing as much as making laps. Look forward to the next race. If it becomes frustrating or like work take a week off and clean your car. Then go get'em!

trerc 02-14-2011 05:44 PM

12 years in the gym eh, I doubt you'll have any problems on the drivers stand. :lol:

stiltskin 02-14-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dadic 78 (Post 8653333)
This coming Friday will be my first time racing in an organized race league. Can you guys that have been racing for a while suggest some racing etiquette for someone in my position to keep in mind? BTW, I'm 32 and just coming out racing for fun. I will be racing 1/10th TC 4WD on carpet.

I've spent the last 12 years in the gym, and there's nothing more obnoxious than the new young guys that come in, throwing weights around, grunting, groaning, and flexing their "muscles" in the mirror... UGH... Etiquette...

Thanks in advance!

If you are willing to accept that you aren't going to win on your first day, you will be doing better than some. :cool: Try to keep your car between the rails and let the faster drivers go. You'll do well if you show them some respect. The best part is that they will most likely return the appreciation and give you some help and advice so that everyone can have a good day. Nothing worse than a new guy that thinks he's going to win on day one and shoots at you in each corner. Take your time, learn the layout and ask a bunch of questions. Good luck.

Chaz955i 02-14-2011 05:51 PM

Thanks in advance!

I was in your position just starting out about a year ago. I'm still learning but it is fairly basic:

1.Do your best to not impede the leaders. You don't have to dive out of their way when they get close. Try to hold your line and go a little wide in a corner and they can usually get by.

2.Don't get overly worked up if there is a little contact. It happens. If you aren't smooth it is tough for the other drivers to anticipate which way your are going to go.

3. If you mess up, say sorry. Most people are pretty cool and are willing to give the others a break. If someone gets all worked up and starts acting like a moron, ignore them.

4.If you break during a race, calmly step back and watch the race until the finish. Instead of dwelling on what you did wrong watch what the leaders are doing on the track. Don't just walk off the stand.

5.Have fun. :D

6.Listen to what the experienced guys have to say, there is a lot to learn.

Dadic 78 02-14-2011 05:56 PM

Right on, thanks for the fast replies guys!

I do intend to go into this with the notion of just having fun. I typically run Nitro MT's and buggies, so this is a totally new beast for me, and I'm not the type to take R/C seriously, at all, racing or not.

Dadic 78 02-14-2011 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by trerc (Post 8653380)
12 years in the gym eh, I doubt you'll have any problems on the drivers stand. :lol:

Well that's part of the problem sometimes... When you're a big guy, people can get easily intimidated, and assume I'm an a**hole. I'm not, quite the opposite in fact. This is why I thought I'd get some pointers on how to act ahead of time, so I don't come off the wrong way first time out. :D

HarryLeach 02-14-2011 06:06 PM

In addition to what Tony said.

Regardless of what you might see in some classes, RC racing is NOT a contact sport. If you're making a pass, try to do it in such a way that you don't boot the car ahead out of the way. If you happen to unintentionally, it's good form to stop your car, allow them to regain position, and try to get them clean.

If someone's catching you, and you want to give them room to pass, SPEAK UP, don't slow down suddenly and change lines thinking you're doing anybody a favor, say, loud enough for the driver to hear, where you'd like them to overtake, preferably on a straight and BEFORE you get to the corner. If you don't say anything, just drive a consistent line, they'll find a way past.

Above all else, have fun. Some guys take racing very serious, but club racing should be fun. Yelling on the stand, getting cars broken for no reason, or people acting like spoiled children isn't fun. Close racing in a relaxed atmosphere is fun. :)

hairy 02-14-2011 06:13 PM

Before the race ,Introduce your self and let them know you are a rookie and will try not to get in the way. You will find that simple gesture will go miles on the stand.

DuckStang 02-14-2011 06:13 PM

Dadic, yeah, you are an ass. I mean, Fabio as your avatar?? come on now.:):):)

Just kidding bro, these on-road guys are pretty cool about jumping in and telling you that your car is messed up and help is right there when you need them. Lots different than off-road. You will like on-road, I guarantee it. The best part of it, no 3 hrs of maintenance after practice or racing. It's a lot cleaner, also.

RedBullFiXX 02-14-2011 06:21 PM

Two things I see the new racers do most.

1) Trying to race others in practice. Please don't be that guy :rolleyes:

2) Fixating on the car in front of them, so much so that they forget to let off for the corner, and drive thru the often quicker driver in front of them.
This takes a while to get a handle on.

Hold your line, and
Practice, Practice, Practice :nod:

Dadic 78 02-14-2011 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by DuckStang (Post 8653568)
Dadic, yeah, you are an ass. I mean, Fabio as your avatar?? come on now.:):):)

C'mon now, you're just giving Fabio a hard time because I think Jones may beat Rua! :)

Thanks for the advice guys. It's all simple enough, but the last time I raced I was 15 and it was open class. Getting back into R/C in the past five years, things have REALLY changed, and it's become very technical, and I've noticed many people take it quite seriously. I am NOT one of those people, so I just don't want to come off the wrong way.

Thanks again for all the input everyone. I'll let you know how things go friday.

tc3team 02-15-2011 04:49 AM

Thanks in advance!

Some guys are initimidated of the unknown, meening unless there is communication they won't know what kind of a guy you are.

Just the simple words of "nice race" or introducing yourself as a new guy to racing to the regulars and the people at race control will help if they people around you are worth chatting to.

I've raced for 15 years now and you can usually tell if the people around you are worth talking to or not.

The guy that picks his car off the track and goes to focused mode (straight to hiding in his pit area and saying nothing) could be working on his game plan for the next race.

If they are chilled out and chatting away in the pits, sure have a chat.

If they look in full on concentration mode setting their car up... woah there, probably not a good time to chat lol :lol:

Just the obvious I know, but easy to overlook, like other things can be when you are new to the hobby.

Like over taking the opposition, there is a right time and place for it, or it ends in tears... :lol:

Oh, and always let the faster guys through when its safe to do so, move off the racing line for a few seconds, let them pass and they'll be grateful.

snoopyrc 02-15-2011 06:41 AM

I think this thread should be a sticky. Lots of people should be asking these questions when they get into the sport and maybe they don't know that they should be asking them.