Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible Drift Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Possible Drift Ideas

I am thinking about getting into the drift side of rc cars. I have been looking at the HPI Sprint 2 drift. Does anyone else have any other ideas.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

sub
Old 02-14-2011, 02:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO the Sprint isn't a great drift chassis..
You're much better off with a used competition chassis (Cyclone, TRF etc.).
Or if you want a new chassis i would recommend a Tamiya TA05 (If you don't want to spend much )
Old 02-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DarkSupra
IMO the Sprint isn't a great drift chassis..
You're much better off with a used competition chassis (Cyclone, TRF etc.).
Or if you want a new chassis i would recommend a Tamiya TA05 (If you don't want to spend much )
Really? My brother got a sprint 2 and I love it in stock form. It has great slide to grip and I can make it do whatever I want with throtle alone. Compare that to my drifter (RS4 Nitro 2) and youve got a different monster, tons of power but unusable. It slides easy and holds slides well but its hard to get it out of the slides. Ive had to throw every redneck trick in the book to get it where it is now and I keep up with all the tuned chasis I drive with. But with the sprint 2 im all over them like crap on velcro.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Dude if you want the sprint 2, get it then.... dont let any one steer you away from what you like and are already use too!

Me my self I have both sprint 2 , and a CS cyclone S (hybrid) so I call it, and I find my self always drifting the cyclone and never the sprint 2, BUT im in the mix of converting the sprint 2 , to a front motor layout like the Ta05 and the VDF, so then it will be all about the sprint 2 and I have a tons of aluminum parts like carriors, castors,arms and dogbones on the way to me from over seas thats gunna make my sprint 2 one BAD MOFO!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kb525
Really? My brother got a sprint 2 and I love it in stock form. It has great slide to grip and I can make it do whatever I want with throtle alone. Compare that to my drifter (RS4 Nitro 2) and youve got a different monster, tons of power but unusable. It slides easy and holds slides well but its hard to get it out of the slides. Ive had to throw every redneck trick in the book to get it where it is now and I keep up with all the tuned chasis I drive with. But with the sprint 2 im all over them like crap on velcro.
You're compairing a nitro with an electro... no shit that the sprint is better in drifting. Nitro's aren't the best thing for that.

Tried a sprint chassis from a friend and it had lots of understeer compaired to my pro4/cyclone and couldn't get rid of it.
I must admit that i didn't get much time to try things but on my pro4 and cyclone i didn't change much to make it drift how i liked.
Think it has to do with the design of the sprint, it has most of its weight on the back wheels.
My experience with rcdrifting is that you need more weight on the front. Most of us here even put weights on the front bumper.

But yeah if you really want a sprint just buy it.
Quality wise it isn't that bad, especially if you compare it to a Tamiya TT01..
Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DarkSupra
You're compairing a nitro with an electro... no shit that the sprint is better in drifting. Nitro's aren't the best thing for that.

Tried a sprint chassis from a friend and it had lots of understeer compaired to my pro4/cyclone and couldn't get rid of it.
I must admit that i didn't get much time to try things but on my pro4 and cyclone i didn't change much to make it drift how i liked.
Think it has to do with the design of the sprint, it has most of its weight on the back wheels.
My experience with rcdrifting is that you need more weight on the front. Most of us here even put weights on the front bumper.

But yeah if you really want a sprint just buy it.
Quality wise it isn't that bad, especially if you compare it to a Tamiya TT01..
Ive driven the other guys cars and they just arent my deal, i prefer the sprint 2 over them because of the understeer it has dialed in. Its very easy car to control better, just dont expect it to drive perpendicular. My problem with it is like you said lots of weight in the back which eventually with tire wear makes the rear scrape with the soft springs it has. And i do have weight under the bumper in the nitro.