Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
T3R upgrade help please >

T3R upgrade help please

T3R upgrade help please

Old 02-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Adept

Default T3R upgrade help please

I just ordered a T3R yesterday because I found it at a really good price and because the 2011 version is made for LiPO and I prefer to use NiMH.
Anyhow, I was wondering if you guys can give me a list of recommended upgrades for the car. I have already ordered the following:

Team Tekin RS Pro Sensored ESC
Team Tekin Redline 2.5 Sensored Brushless Motor
TK1450 Team Tekin HotWire ESC PC Interface

Most of my confusion comes from the fact that xray has divided the upgrade list into foam and rubber tyre setups. Which ones do I want? Will it be better to go with the rubber tyre parts or the foam parts? I will be running with mixed tyre types

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Tech Addict

Decide whether you will run rubber or foam. That makes it much easier, in my opinion. Racing rubber you will need flex (thinner chassis and stuff like that), and you won't with foam (stiffer chassis and so on).

Are you really going to use a 2.5T motor? That's insane! I race modified, and I would never even consider using a 2.5T.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

i have already bought the motor and esc. the car is going to be both for track and bashing and that's why i cant decide between rubber and foam.

I don't mind the motor being too powerful. I can always reduce the throttle to 50% or something for track days. Would be lovely for top speed runs though

if i decide to go for the foam upgrades, would it really hinder the performance on rubber tyres?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Why didnt' you get the regular T3? You dont have to upgrade much on it.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

i found the T3R quite cheap i reckon. I just couldn't pass the deal really. I will admit, it was mostly a spontaneous purchase

I would like to have this one set up as a proper racer as opposed to my TT01E which is meant for bashing. So what are some good racing upgrades for this thing? I am no expert racer but I might as well buy the stuff I need now so i don't have to spend extra on incremental upgrades.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by omegaf
if i decide to go for the foam upgrades, would it really hinder the performance on rubber tyres?
Yes - converting the car to foam will reduce the car's performance on rubber.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

i can't get the best of both worlds then

oh well, i suppose the best choice for me is rubber upgrades since 99% of the time if not always, it will run on rubber.

I would really appreciate it if someone went to the trouble of telling me which upgrades are worth it and which ones are a waste of time and money.

Thanks for helping out so far.

Last edited by omegaf; 02-06-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omegaf
i can't get the best of both worlds then

oh well, i suppose the best choice for me is rubber upgrades since 99% of the time if not always, it will run on rubber.

I would really appreciate it if someone went to the trouble of telling me which upgrades are worth it and which ones are a waste of time and money.

Thanks for helping out do far.
In my opinion, i would get the foam parts: arms c hubs, etc... I have a 007 foam car, set up for rubber tire vta and surprisingly it does well. i tuned it by taking a lot of screws out so the chassis can flex. upgrades are obviously a hard foam bumper and the wider lower bumper. get a variety of oils and springs to swap from foam to rubber. you can tune the chassis by taking screws out, but i think the t3 is set up for rubber anyway. maybe a set of roll bars for front and back.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Pick up the aluminum chassis braces, the small posts that fit between the two plates. Mount one right behind the steering post. In a high speed corner the chassis will flex so much that the steering post will pop loose from its mounts. Also get som 64Pitch spur gears.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Tech Rookie

He cant even play to see if he likes it you know how you automatically got to buy one worker the first worker for him costs 2,500 shiny and he cannot do anything until he buys it he cannot build a map room..