Wiki Posts
Search

How tight to make your diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default How tight to make your diff

Is there an easy way to figure out how tight you should make your diff for stock TC?
Old 02-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

I always make mine as free(loose) as possible with out slipping. Then you can tighten from there should you desire.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Akhor
Is there an easy way to figure out how tight you should make your diff for stock TC?
start loose, hold both rear tires and try and slip the diff with the spur, tighten it to the point where you can't slip it, the diff should still feel very free.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

How hard u tring to spin it tho, thats whats hard to judge. I can make a tire spin or break a alum cvd, i just lock my spur in and try to lift the front wheels of the board , this way i have a accureate way of tellin my diff tention to someone else. Its very loose i will say. But does not slip
Old 02-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I like to set it up so when holding the spur and 1 wheel, that there is 'some' resistance in turning the opposite wheel. When I say 'some' resistance, I dont mean hard so it does not slip. I mean that it will slip slightly with abit of force, but not 'bark' when running on track. In general, the looser I setup the diff, the better the car rotates, for me.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MikeXray
start loose, hold both rear tires and try and slip the diff with the spur, tighten it to the point where you can't slip it, the diff should still feel very free.
+1
Old 02-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Addict

The general rule is that the diff should never slip on the track. If it does slip all your hard earned power is going down the drain.

The easiest method is to hold one wheel and the pulley(on the rear diff) and try and turn the other wheel. It should not turn.

Another way to do it is to take the diff out and lock both out drives. Then try and turn the pulley. It should not turn.

Your rear diff should not slip at all but you probably want it set as free as possible without slipping as this will give you good traction and handling.

regards
Mike
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you are running a TC, make sure your front diff is alittle tighter then the rear, so when You are going around a corner, and on the power, it will pull you out of the corner, rather then having the rear end of the car stepping out on you.

Shawn
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Great, thanks for the info!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

Originally Posted by ixlr8nz
The general rule is that the diff should never slip on the track. If it does slip all your hard earned power is going down the drain.

The easiest method is to hold one wheel and the pulley(on the rear diff) and try and turn the other wheel. It should not turn.

Another way to do it is to take the diff out and lock both out drives. Then try and turn the pulley. It should not turn.

Your rear diff should not slip at all but you probably want it set as free as possible without slipping as this will give you good traction and handling.

regards
Mike
I will disagree, that setting is TOO tight, the diff will be hard to rotate and the car will push.

it should turn, but the force required to turn will be extremely hard!