Search

Drifting using Counter-steer, overdrive, 4WD, front one-way

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 10:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Questions?? Drifting using Counter-steer, overdrive, 4WD, front one-way

Hi guys!

Have u guys tried drifting using different set-ups like front one-way, 4WD, overdrive or counter-steer before? What are the differences? Isn't drifting with 4WD more realistic like how real cars drift?

Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Real 1:1 drift cars are 2WD because they have the weight to keep enough traction. RC drift cars are all 4WD, they wouldn't have enough traction with 2WD and would spin out. I'm sure some people have messed around with 2WD RC drifting, but 99% are 4WD. The weight and size of a 1/10 RC car are not proportional to a real 1:1 car. A 1/10 scale HPI Sprint 2 Drift is about 3lbs, if you scaled it up to 1:1 it would be a full size car weighing 30lbs! This is why they need to be 4WD.

Not sure about using a 1-way diff or overdrive, but counter-steer is very common in RC drifting.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Originally Posted by simplechamp
Real 1:1 drift cars are 2WD because they have the weight to keep enough traction. RC drift cars are all 4WD, they wouldn't have enough traction with 2WD and would spin out. I'm sure some people have messed around with 2WD RC drifting, but 99% are 4WD. The weight and size of a 1/10 RC car are not proportional to a real 1:1 car. A 1/10 scale HPI Sprint 2 Drift is about 3lbs, if you scaled it up to 1:1 it would be a full size car weighing 30lbs! This is why they need to be 4WD.

Not sure about using a 1-way diff or overdrive, but counter-steer is very common in RC drifting.
Im running a one way up front and a spool in the rear its over driving in the rear of course. BLAH BLAH BLAH! Just go to Hyper Drift. com and you will get all your answers there!

See you there!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simplechamp

Just to let you know if you full-size a 3 lb RC car, it's not 30 lb, it's 3,000 lb. You forget 1:10 refers to one specific length in 3D (length, width and height). So essentially, you need 10 X 10 X 10 to make a full sized car, not just 10.

But the issue is not that our car weighs less, it's more that our motor is way too powerful for the scale. Plus out tires are too sticky compared to full scale car. Can any of the 1:10 tires runs at least 1,000 mi (full scale 10,000 mi in length only) before worn out?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by eComet
Just to let you know if you full-size a 3 lb RC car, it's not 30 lb, it's 3,000 lb. You forget 1:10 refers to one specific length in 3D (length, width and height). So essentially, you need 10 X 10 X 10 to make a full sized car, not just 10.

But the issue is not that our car weighs less, it's more that our motor is way too powerful for the scale. Plus out tires are too sticky compared to full scale car. Can any of the 1:10 tires runs at least 1,000 mi (full scale 10,000 mi in length only) before worn out?
I think your explanation is very logical, thanks for sharing the knowledge!
Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There are two levels of RC Drifting,

Standard 4WD TC with drift tires is known as "50/50" now days
Overdrive the rear is known as "CS" aka "Counter Steer"

50/50 systems are same front and rear FDR thus front spins the same as the rear, These you turn in then wheels square up and you slide around the corner looking like your on ice with a 4WD power slide, not very realistic, there is some counter steer with these setups but its only between corners or switch backs.

Counter Steer systems are allot more difficult to get setup correctly... Since you over drive the rear you have to hold the front wheels at locked or counter angles to get the car to go where you want , this is the most realistic form of RC drifting and once you run a CS car you wont go back to a 50/50 setup its just not as fun.

Some guys run a oneway in a CS car but i find CS setups with a oneway are unpredictable and to drift quickly with a CS you need to have brakes to help initiate high speed switch backs, braking with a oneway doesnt happen you'll just spin out, and the front wheels free roll and make cornering off power unpredictable.

check some drift sites for more info, http://csjunkies.com/ is where alot of the info can be found. there are kits out there for cars but some mods are required and some car just wont be able to CS convert them, I spent a pile of money researching and buying parts trying to make it happen as CS was early days when I converted my car, I believe my Hotbodies TCD was one of the first to be converted outside japan, and i documented it well on driftercentral website.

My setup can be found on CS junkies http://csjunkies.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=628
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This video is our local group of guys everyone is running 50/50 in this video other than myself, Mine car is the Red DR30 Skyline with white wheels, its CS is 86% overdrive running on HPI T-Drifts and is rather quick car, this was awhile ago now and my driving back then might be a bit loose as i was still setting up the car.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Tech Regular

wow... nice video! thanks for sharing with us your valuable experience. seems like u are a pioneer in CS drifting
Old 10-26-2017, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jiewei1987
Hi guys!

Have u guys tried drifting using different set-ups like front one-way, 4WD, overdrive or counter-steer before? What are the differences? Isn't drifting with 4WD more realistic like how real cars drift?

Thanks for sharing!
In 4WD drifting, there is no counter steering, like in rally cars, where you see drivers turning into corners and then flooring it to slide around a corner. Counter steering is done in 4wd drifting only under certain conditions, such as switchbacks or reverse entries. In CS setups, the front wheels or underdriven or the rear wheels are overdriven, giving you control over the slide after initiation, while still looking a lot like RWD 1:1 drifting. I don't prefer one ways as I feel they upset the symmetry of the car and turn it into a one way drift machine. I prefer to lock the center, rear and front diffs, but once I finish building my LSD for the front, I'll give it a bit of play to make the turn in sharper.