Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Offset +2 = 0 offset!??? >

Offset +2 = 0 offset!???

Offset +2 = 0 offset!???

Old 09-11-2001, 07:47 PM
Tech Master

Default Offset +2 = 0 offset!???

humm~~ I have some Tamiya +2 offset rims and 0 offset rims. I mesaured their measurements and every single mesurements are the SAME!!!!!! Where the hell is the "offset" comes in?????? I thought it's the width of the rim isn't it????? But it's exactly the same!

Also, I was checking out yokomo's rim and they have some weird mesurment. 24x8x50 (last measurement has a mathmatical symbol "thi"(I think i spell thi wrong) behind it) And some other rims are 24x8x48 thi. So does that mean it's offset +2????

anyone has any idea????
Old 09-11-2001, 08:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Rim width is called just that, rim width. The offset is basically how far the rim moves the tire in or out. +2 offset, would move the tire out 2mm, I suppose... +1 would move it 1mm. Something like that. I've never tried different offsets, but I'm pretty sure it works like that.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:20 PM
Tech Elite

yup, Jeff is right...Just be careful not to go over 190mm for the width or your car, if you race.
Old 09-11-2001, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

speedo, you mean if they race and are teched....
Old 09-11-2001, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for clearing that up JeffC.

So it just depends on how the rim "holds" the tire right?... Ok then what about those Yokomo rims??? any idea what the measurement means??
Old 09-11-2001, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

I assume you have the Tamiya wheels (such as the BBS Modena's which I have), which are 24mm, but have an offset of 2mm?

I guess they did such a thing to equal the width of 26mm wheels.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The offset shouldn't have anything to do witht the width. It simply moves the whole tire in or out. There's the same size contact patch, it's just in a different spot. Going to a wider tire (26mm from 24mm, etc) wouldn't necessarily change the car's overall width, because if the rim offset is the same, the extra 2mm of rubber would be further IN, not sticking OUT.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

mr. losi, yes that's right, LOL

Jeff, it widens the car. Moving each rim out 2mm moves each tire out 2mm, effectifievly wideding the car by 4mm.
Old 09-11-2001, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Speedo,

when you say moving the rim out by 2mm... are you saying the center part of the rim (where te locknut-like thing contact the center of the rim from inside) is 2 mm thicker than offset 0?

by the way, Got any answers about yokomo rims????
Old 09-12-2001, 07:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

NO, imagine the rins on your car as 2 piece rims, the actual rim that holds the tire and the center (spoked) area. what an off-set does is move the spoked area in/out further. So a + off-set would move the inner piece closer to the back of the rim, and a - off-set would move the center of the rim towards the front of the rim.

In the automotive industry rims with alot of +off-set are refered to as deepdish rims.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2001, 07:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by TRF-Powered
Speedo,

when you say moving the rim out by 2mm... are you saying the center part of the rim (where te locknut-like thing contact the center of the rim from inside) is 2 mm thicker than offset 0?

by the way, Got any answers about yokomo rims????

from what i've heard, the center part is thicker causing the WHOLE rim to move outwards
Old 09-12-2001, 08:56 AM
Tech Adept

From HPIs website;
Wheel Offset -- This is in relation to track width, but refers specifically to the wheels of the car. The more offset a pair of wheels has, the wider the track and overall width of the car will be. Most HPI sedan wheels are 0mm offset, meaning the edge of the wheel hub that comes in contact with the axle hex adapter is exactly in the middle of the wheel. Some of our sedan wheels (like the 3mm Offset Mesh and Super Star wheels) feature an offset of 3mm, which widens the car a total of 6mm.

The weird yoke wheels that measue 24x8x50 are probably "inch-up" wheels. A standard wheel has a 48mm(1.9 inches) diameter, inch-ups have 50mm(2 inch) diameter. Using inch-ups means less sidewall flex.
Old 09-12-2001, 04:51 PM
Tech Elite

I think dave's post should clear it up...I just use yokomo dish rims, will be trying speed tech rims next though.
Old 09-12-2001, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

speedo, I have used both types of wheels. They look like they were made in the same mold. If like the Yokomo dish, you will love the speedtech wheels, same wheel better price! Plus, Steve is great to work with, quick emails and even quicker shipment.
sorry for getting off the subject