Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange Battery Noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default Strange Battery Noise

I was discharging my batteries (GP3300) on a Deans discharger last night and noticed a popping sound coming from the batteries as the bulbs began to dim. Is this normal?
Old 08-16-2004, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thats the batteries venting built up gasses from within the cell, I have not experienced it with GP3300 cells, only with much older stuff which has seen a hard life, at best they need a good cycle and rest, at worst, they are hammered.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Not a good sign. Usually after a cell vents, its performance decreases drastically. Pay attention next time to see if one or more of the cells are signifacantly hotter than the others and that may be you bad cell(s).
Old 08-16-2004, 03:44 AM
Tech Regular

Crap, I heard a pop from my GP3300's tonight, too. I was really wondering what that was? I disconnected the discharger ASAP and felt the batteries. One of them was warmer than the others but by no means as warm as when you charge the batteries at 4A. Kinda weird. One pop. I hope my batteries aren't toast. Those were my expensive ones too
Old 08-16-2004, 07:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

did u immediately discharge your batteries after racing/bashing with them, or did u let them cool down? If you didnt let them have a break in between thats probably why you heard the popping. What i would suggest doing is getting a stand or something and get a little computer fan and put it underneath the stand, and after racing let it cool down some. After its cooled down, then discharge it. Ive done this and my batteries are still like new (except for the one cell i fried because of a crossed connector )
Old 08-16-2004, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

O.K. none of this sounds good. This was not an old beater pack and they had not been just run. In fact they had been sitting with a full charge for about 1 month.

I'll charge them up and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

More than likely, thats the reason they HAVE vented, is that they HAVE been stored charged, they should be stored part charged or equalised, the venting might just be gas build up from being stored charged.

I sugest you cycle the cells on a low amp and discharge on a low current too, and then let them rest and do a proper cycle, if they get hot and vent, bin them.

As for leaving them to cool before discharge, it makes no difference, as racing you will want the cells to peak just before you go to race.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Elite

Discharge at low amps then equalize the whole pack. Charge it again at race settings and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for all your help.

I will try discharge/cycling as per your suggestions.