Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Its strange to hear everyone say the car is "tail happy", mine is TO planted in the rear.
Im running the KIT setup and even running the kit oils, mine did have some mid corner over steer in the begining, so you need to see if its in the front end OR rear end that could be making the cars rear feel loose.
Generally on my Tamiya going harder in rear gear diff oil would give the car more steering and that would make the rear feel loose on that car.
I always use HPI springs on my cars and on this one im running silvers all round, i will be testing the 2.00 chassis this week end plus a couple of other things will post the results if anyone is keen to hear.

Rhys
Old 11-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Adept

I think it mostly depends on the track you use. The standard setup works well on high(er) grip tracks but lacks some traction out of corners in low(er) grip conditions imho.

Originally Posted by crabboy
Its strange to hear everyone say the car is "tail happy", mine is TO planted in the rear.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Regular

half through the build, still waiting on a few parts to complete. i notice the front end uses a spool rather than a diff, what benefits would i expect by putting a gear diff and a ball diff in the front?

also, should i be putting grease on the joints? cvd, pivot..etc ? if so what kind do you guys recommend?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:56 AM
Tech Adept

Can anyone please confirm the exact measurement from the top of the chassis to the bottom of the top deck

Need to double check lipo fitment!

Many Thanks
Old 11-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

27.5mm, racer
Old 11-07-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by VexVegaz
27.5mm, racer
Wow you are good

Cheers bud
Old 11-07-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Regular

N.p i just got this new digital caliper that i really wanted to use.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

I made a cut to the chassis to get some rear flex today and managed to test it. It made a huge improvement on the on power out of corners problem that I had (at least it worked at my local track). I can drive it hard out of tight corners comfortably now. I m getting to love this car. Next test will be on mid day where the track temp is higher (simulating race condition) and hopefully it will work the same as I tested it this evening when the temp was cooler. I m super happy now. I can post a pic if anybody wants to see the mod I made.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dameetz
I made a cut to the chassis to get some rear flex today and managed to test it. It made a huge improvement on the on power out of corners problem that I had (at least it worked at my local track). I can drive it hard out of tight corners comfortably now. I m getting to love this car. Next test will be on mid day where the track temp is higher (simulating race condition) and hopefully it will work the same as I tested it this evening when the temp was cooler. I m super happy now. I can post a pic if anybody wants to see the mod I made.
Let's see the pic
Old 11-07-2011, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

First of all nice looking car! Very stealth.

For #3, running on outdoor parking lot for fix my rear tail swing on power. I did...

1-Orange front/white rear spring... didn't work so i changed back to Orange/Yellow
2-Added more front droop, worked a bit, but still swinging
3-Lengthened rear wheelbase to 5mm worked!
4-Changed rear suspension block spacers from 1mm down to 0.5mm. combined with #2 & #3 above made the rear planted.

Earlier in the summer I used 3000 diff oil with 2 gears diff per forum suggestion. Now on carpet I am testing the 1200 oil with 2 gear diff and it's working great.

Finished building it today and sort of mini tested it at the track before dark. First impression, as most of you guys found out, very tail happy on power out of corners. I didn't expect it to be that bad and I m really worried now, I know I will work it out and hopefully can get rid of it by end of this weekend coz I ll have a race this Sunday.

Few questions:

1. I was using basic asphalt set up (not the kit set up) that I found on petit r/c, with the exception of ride height, I was using 7mm at the rear and 6.5mm at the front (our track is very bumpy and I m also trying to save the chassis from scrapping). Now, with the usual droop of 6mm at the front and 5mm at the rear (from set up sheet) how much of chassis lift value is it actually? I just want to transfer the value with my current ride height setting.

2. My car I think is a V1, came with 2.5mm low deck and no spur gear. When I finish building it I felt the car is too stiff (compare to my other previous cars). Is this one of the reason its very tail happy on power? I have ordered the 2.25mm chassis and should be here by early next week. Having said this anybody has experimented cutting maybe some holes especially at the rear (maybe behind the motor and the batt? kind of like BD5's chassis) or will removing some top deck screws (rear)provide some flex and improve the rear grip.

3. Can you guys list me a step by step on what to do next to improve the rear grip on power. So far what I m thinking of doing are:
-to remove both the rear 1mm bracket shims
-set the front droop to get more on power weight transfer to the rear (pls provide me chassis lift value)
- softer rear spring ( I have White springs on order as well as some HPI springs which usually work with all my previous cars)
- maybe trying a thicker diff oil coz I think it unloaded easily during cornering and make the car look like it did not want to straighten up.
- wait for my 2.25mm chassis and hopefully it will improve the handling drastically.

FYI I tested my car using Much More 36 tyres with 7.5t motor mildly boosted. My local track is parking lot asphalt with medium grip.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Heh all I had was Tamiya ball diff grease so I used that. But any thick grease should work.

Originally Posted by VexVegaz
Thnks a million Jin, BTW what grease do you recommend to use for the pivot joints/shaft? and associated stealth grease ok for cvd's?
Old 11-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

I PM'ed RC Martket and he said Mid-November...

Originally Posted by gearhead_22
anyone now where to get http://serpent.com/product/401445/
Old 11-07-2011, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Chassis mod pics....took from my phone's camera, the white film is chassis protector. If my 2.25mm chassis arrive this week maybe I ll try it stock first and if it doesn't work I mod it like this too. At least this cut really worked at my local track (parking lot asphalt, low - med grip).

Note: On the upper deck, I only use 4 rear screws and at the front only 2 screws.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-chassis-mod.jpg   Serpent S411-chassis-mod-left.jpg   Serpent S411-chassis-mod-right.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jinjiro7
First of all nice looking car! Very stealth.

For #3, running on outdoor parking lot for fix my rear tail swing on power. I did...

1-Orange front/white rear spring... didn't work so i changed back to Orange/Yellow
2-Added more front droop, worked a bit, but still swinging
3-Lengthened rear wheelbase to 5mm worked!
4-Changed rear suspension block spacers from 1mm down to 0.5mm. combined with #2 & #3 above made the rear planted.

Earlier in the summer I used 3000 diff oil with 2 gears diff per forum suggestion. Now on carpet I am testing the 1200 oil with 2 gear diff and it's working great.
Thanks for the tips, at the moment running PattoJnr set up with the mod chassis. I m getting happy now
Old 11-07-2011, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

DO YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH SPURS STRIPPING WITH THE TWO SCRES REMOVED ON THE REAR UPPER DECK? I REALLY LIKE THE MOD. LOOKS LIKE THATS HOW IT CAME OUT OF THE BOX.

ARE YOU ON CARPET OR BLACKTOP WITH THE CAR?

Chassis mod pics....took from my phone's camera, the white film is chassis protector. If my 2.25mm chassis arrive this week maybe I ll try it stock first and if it doesn't work I mod it like this too. At least this cut really worked at my local track (parking lot asphalt, low - med grip).

Note: On the upper deck, I only use 4 rear screws and at the front only 2 screws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.