Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 10-22-2011, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Deepsouth
Got my car from RAB hobbies yesterday, built it up watching aus vs Wales in the hotel room. Went together a treat, no hassles with anything, everything was there and even with limited tools was a super smooth. My tech naive wife even was able to build the front end for me can't wait to get home and try it out now!
Thanks Ren for the superb service and advice
its always a good thing when the misses can work on ya front end for you . specially watching Rugby, and building a serpent !
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by olly986
cool fellas ! I am not slagging your cars, it is just that I hear non stop about how sturdy Serpent cars are, and obliviously they do break like others too.
My pal is not a beginner either but the frontal shock was fairly big, so were the damages, I think the S411 is a very nice chassis with good design.
Hi !

The complete Serpent Germany Team have no problems with broken Parts. Last weekend on a practice day i parked my car out of the "racing line" on the end of the straight. Someone hit me then from behind, it was a horrible crash and sound, too... On his Tamiya was broken the Whishbone and C-Hub - on my serpent only one body post broke.

"normal" crashes are no problem, no broken parts for us very stable car!
Old 10-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Debating on a new TC possibly, just browsing mainly. Really hear great things about the S411, and I know they came out with the V2 already, although not sure how long? Do you think Serpent will release a "2012" model?

I really like the XRAY T3 2012 too, but not sure. It seems there is a trend moving to front and rear gear diffs? Away from front spool and rear gear diff?

If anyone can provide their opinions and thoughts, it'd be much appreciated.
Old 10-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

personaly i think they are both great chassi and could really come down down to what colour you like more.
how ever saying this i do like the gear diffs a whole more as they have metal gears and shafts not moulded in my opinion this makes for a mich more reliable diff.
the serpent also responds well to changes made but i can not compare the 2 im sure Patto could
Old 10-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dan
Debating on a new TC possibly, just browsing mainly. Really hear great things about the S411, and I know they came out with the V2 already, although not sure how long? Do you think Serpent will release a "2012" model?

I really like the XRAY T3 2012 too, but not sure. It seems there is a trend moving to front and rear gear diffs? Away from front spool and rear gear diff?

If anyone can provide their opinions and thoughts, it'd be much appreciated.
i previously ran the Xray t3. as i run gas onroad for Serpent , soon as the 411 was out, it was a must change for me. i drove the Xray for 3-4 months, was runner up at the WA state titles in Mod with the car. but i can say on teh very first outing wiht the 411 (practice day) 2 changes to the kit setup and i was already faster. Gear diffs are solid units, as Matt said, they are alloy geared, the Hex for the outdrive to crown gear prevents wear also, everyother diff out there uses a pin through the outdrive, and they can chatter and strip where the pin load increases. apart from one Mechanics error last round, i dont think i have failed to finnish a race due to the actual car failing me. it has been either electronics or personal error.

Diff question ......... front and rear geared diffs. for me , i went this way to try to ease the scrubbing of front tyres for our track. a high speed straight into a banked sweeper really hurts the tyres with the spool. also when using a front diff, go very heavy oil. it will still have a spool pull out of the corner, but you will have increased turn in. it also adds a little extra weight over the front axle, this can help with balance front to rear and weight transference.
but my main reason was to lessen the scrubbing of my front tyres. but i like the extra turn in .
Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

A few Question's for you guys. I am also in 2 minds between the S411 and the T3'12. I am leaning towards the Xray as i have buckets of spares already but there are heaps of S411 at my local track now and I really like the look of the sway bar set up on the serpent and the shocks look very different. Otherwise they are similar in many ways and apart from price there is not much in it.

With the revised plastics in the new kits, would i have to buy the hard arms, hubs and knuckles like everyone was doing with the initial kits?

And is 2.5 or 2.25 the preferred chassis for low to medium grip asphalt? Ill be running 17.5 boosted.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Benzaah
A few Question's for you guys. I am also in 2 minds between the S411 and the T3'12. I am leaning towards the Xray as i have buckets of spares already but there are heaps of S411 at my local track now and I really like the look of the sway bar set up on the serpent and the shocks look very different. Otherwise they are similar in many ways and apart from price there is not much in it.

With the revised plastics in the new kits, would i have to buy the hard arms, hubs and knuckles like everyone was doing with the initial kits?

And is 2.5 or 2.25 the preferred chassis for low to medium grip asphalt? Ill be running 17.5 boosted.
id go for the 2.25 kit, as far as arms, for low to med grip, you would want M arms which are now in the updated kits. the H arms i use as a tuning tool, take grip out of one end of the car. generally the front as the car has alot of steering.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

what about c-hubs, steering blocks, and uprights, medium, hard, or aluminum?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:06 AM
Tech Initiate

ran my s411 today for the first time and loving it! Need to sharpen up the steering a little but other than it was awesome! Once the tires heated up it gripped awesome and was super super smooth!
Only annoying thing is sorting out the pinion and spur gears. A tad bit time consuming but I suppose once you've got it sorted its all good.
Punch out of the corners was fantastic and it held its line really nicely
Hanging out for my 13.5 to turn up so I can really get her moving
Old 10-23-2011, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

I have never driven a touring car with kit setup that was so shit......
Old 10-23-2011, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
what about c-hubs, steering blocks, and uprights, medium, hard, or aluminum?
i ran the car with the soft hubs and up rites and arms i went with the hard plastics as i like the way the car felt, i tried the gear diff in the front for the first time last week and it felt very good, I have a set of medium arms on there way to try for the rear

i have been running 17.5 boosted
Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

anyone know of a place in the usa that sells the medium and hard parts?
Old 10-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

anyone know of a place in the usa that sells the medium and hard parts?
http://www.serpentamerica.com/shop/home.php

[email protected]

305-677-3253
Old 10-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
i checked there. they don't have the parts listed on the website.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i checked there. they don't have the parts listed on the website.
I called last week, parts are there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.