Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 08-24-2011, 12:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
If you are running a kit diff then try 3000cst in your diff. When you change to 4 bevel gears the diff works a lot better on power so with 4 bevels I us 500cst oil and it is better again everywhere on the track.
ill give that a try on sunday , im using the 4 bevel gears already

will the hard rear up rights work plus the front hub/caster blocks?

cheers again....
Old 08-24-2011, 02:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Newbie gear set up question

Hi everyone, enjoying reading the thread. Have just built S411 and got it reasonably set up and gave it first run last night.
If possible can i msg someone regarding the spur gear and pinion gear setup so as i dont clog up your threads.
Cheers
Matt b
Old 08-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team STPN
I had the same issue and lowered the rear roll center from 1m to .5 m and no issue after that

thats exactly what i shave done and its made a huge differance i also use the red springs on the front white on the back and have moved the rear wheel base back 1mm hard uprites front and rear with hard arms.
2mm chassi 2mm top deck 1.2mm rear sway bar
Old 08-24-2011, 04:33 AM
Tech Elite

what would you like to know about the spur and pinion
Old 08-24-2011, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Despite people thinking softer has more grip soft springs also struggle with load. Too soft will see too much weight transfer and the tyres will not be able to coop. Its always about when you need the grip not what end.
As I understand it...

Stiffer springs create more lateral weight transfer and less roll.

Softer springs create less lateral weight transfer and more roll.

More lateral weight transfer will usually lead to a loss of grip at that end of the car mid-corner, since the load/force graph of a tyre is not linear. Therefore more weight transfer (stiffer spring) will mean more grip is generated at the outside wheel, but the loss of grip from the inside wheel will be more than the gain on the outside...
Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Adept

Something that might be of interest;

http://teamserpent.com/2011/08/serpe...rca-nationals/
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
later release !
great i will be waiting as patiently as i can
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
what would you like to know about the spur and pinion
Hi and thanks for the reply
am running serpent s411, 21.5turn (no boost etc) in stock/blinky mode at local club (sma) in sydney.

Am really lost regarding the spur and pinion setup.
Currently has 84tooth spur and 24 tooth pinion (48pitch), Hobbywing extreme stock esc (60amp) and 7.4, 5000mah 30c lipo. The S411 has a ratio of 2.0 (from the manual)

Ran it last night, and its slow as a wet cat.

Turned the turbo and boost up to full and it ran well.

Am trying to work out if it is a gearing issue or an issues with the esc programming
Old 08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mingnon
Hi and thanks for the reply
am running serpent s411, 21.5turn (no boost etc) in stock/blinky mode at local club (sma) in sydney.

Am really lost regarding the spur and pinion setup.
Currently has 84tooth spur and 24 tooth pinion (48pitch), Hobbywing extreme stock esc (60amp) and 7.4, 5000mah 30c lipo. The S411 has a ratio of 2.0 (from the manual)

Ran it last night, and its slow as a wet cat.

Turned the turbo and boost up to full and it ran well.

Am trying to work out if it is a gearing issue or an issues with the esc programming
you are gearing it all wrong when running 21.5 with no boost, you are gearing 7.0. you need to gear around 3.5-4.0 depending on track size.

i think you are doing somthing wrong when calculating the gear ratio the correct formula looks like this (spur/pinion)x2.0

hope it helped a little

Steven
Old 08-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by StevenOlsen
you are gearing it all wrong when running 21.5 with no boost, you are gearing 7.0. you need to gear around 3.5-4.0 depending on track size.

i think you are doing somthing wrong when calculating the gear ratio the correct formula looks like this (spur/pinion)x2.0

hope it helped a little

Steven
Steven
thanks for the heads up, went back and checked and yeah all wrong

Aiming for the middle (3.7), will need to get a 74/40 and see if it will fit, might need to modify the motor mount plate to fit the pinion.

If it is okay to ask, where did you get the number for the gearing? have been trying to find a list as one race at is outdoor and fairly long and the other is an indoor carpet track at the local sports centre (about 1/6th the size of the outdoor)

Last edited by mingnon; 08-24-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Added extra question
Old 08-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Tech Adept

Steven
thanks for the heads up, went back and checked and yeah all wrong

Aiming for the middle (3.7), will need to get a 74/40 and see if it will fit, might need to modify the motor mount plate to fit the pinion.

If it is okay to ask, where did you get the number for the gearing? have been trying to find a list as one race at is outdoor and fairly long and the other is an indoor carpet track at the local sports centre (about 1/6th the size of the outdoor)
its from reading a bunch of treads here on rctech. readīng what others are gearing and/or is timing both the motor and the ESC. but the most importent testing it your self :-)
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thumbs up

Steven
thanks for the heads up, have finally worked out the gearing to a sufficient level and will continue to read

time to look for spurs and pinions that will fit this, am in unknown territory as no one at the tracks have one of these nor have they seen one in the flesh. Im really impressed with the s411 and its quality, and its a huge step up (for me) from the learning car previously used.
Thanks for all your help
Old 08-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Steven
thanks for the heads up, have finally worked out the gearing to a sufficient level and will continue to read

time to look for spurs and pinions that will fit this, am in unknown territory as no one at the tracks have one of these nor have they seen one in the flesh. Im really impressed with the s411 and its quality, and its a huge step up (for me) from the learning car previously used.
Thanks for all your help
I'm using the XRay spur right now however, The Associated Spurs work as well and are quite a bit less expensive.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
great i will be waiting as patiently as i can
they said end of AUG release !
Old 08-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Steven

Thanks for all your help
Whay day do you race at SMA. I have only had mine there once so far but will have to go back some time for some more testing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.