Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Tech Regular

I do find them a bit loose only because the cvd,s are allot rounder on the ends compared to others but they still cover the pin even if they are moving.I did a whole days practice with out any problems.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have Spec-R blades on order . But it's a good thing that Serpent includes extra blades with the original kit.

Over here guys mostly run 416/417. The Tamiya arms are a lot harder. Will have to test hard serpent arms next, I ordered the hard C-Hubs (normal wasn't in stock).

OVA: I did put shims on top of the steering columns and that got rid of the slop. For the bridge with the smaller bearings I tried various shims below the bearing (per manual) and on top of the bearing, sandwitched between the screw. Still wobbly. However I still get tons of steering and the snake does love to hug the corners, so it's not a huge concern at this time. I just hate slop.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well another good night of practice for John and I. The backend was loose off power but we were turning 8.1-8.2 lap times (which is pretty fast at our track) I am running 45 losi oil up front and 40 losi oil in the rear, with orange spring in the front and white spring in the rear. I'm thinking of changing the rear oil to 27.5 losi and playing with the droop. The next time I will be on the track won't be for a couple of weeks at the Vegas warm-up race at the Gate in Ohio. This is a high bite track so I will let everyong know how went.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

*Bump*
Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 AM
Tech Champion

Did an event this weekend and backed to back the hard arms against the softies... I would say that unless you have unusual grip the hard arms are both faster and better to drive. Car is noticably more solid to drive around the track and has better corner speed. I think they should go to the hard arms in the kit and offer the softies as a tuning option.

Also tried out a putty/oil diff. From my quick playing around I found out it is possible to "TUNE" the amount of limited slip effect that the putty has by adding oil. The more oil the easier it gives and also the LARGER the amount of intial give BEFORE it starts to tighten. I prolly went to far with mine so it would be good for stock but not enough for mod. I would suggest starting by lightly oiling your diff and packing with oil. Assemble then turn it over many times to work the oil through the putty. Once it settles simply add more oil if you want a softer diff. I would say start from scratch if you go to far. It takes very little oil to soften the diff so take it easy.
Old 08-21-2011, 04:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what oil are you using and grade for mod ?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

hay guys can anyone tell me what the width of the bearings are in the wheels diffs and layshaft i wanty to order the boca bearings but i didnt measure the widths i have the ID and OD im away at work at the moment for a week

10x15 by 4
5x8 by 2
5x10 by 4
6x12 by 4

thanks
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dragonfire
Did an event this weekend and backed to back the hard arms against the softies... I would say that unless you have unusual grip the hard arms are both faster and better to drive. Car is noticably more solid to drive around the track and has better corner speed. I think they should go to the hard arms in the kit and offer the softies as a tuning option.

Also tried out a putty/oil diff. From my quick playing around I found out it is possible to "TUNE" the amount of limited slip effect that the putty has by adding oil. The more oil the easier it gives and also the LARGER the amount of intial give BEFORE it starts to tighten. I prolly went to far with mine so it would be good for stock but not enough for mod. I would suggest starting by lightly oiling your diff and packing with oil. Assemble then turn it over many times to work the oil through the putty. Once it settles simply add more oil if you want a softer diff. I would say start from scratch if you go to far. It takes very little oil to soften the diff so take it easy.
So the hard arms provide more or less grip? and do they take out any slop?
Old 08-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default SPEC-R DIFF

HAS ANYONE USED A SPEC-R DIFF IN THIS CAR? MY SERPENT BLADES DO NOT FIT PROPERLY IN THE CUPS. THEY ARENT BAD BUT AS YOU ROTATE THE TIRES THE DRIVE SHAFTS WOBBLE. I JUST DONT WANT TO END UP BENDING ONE OR BOTH.

WILL XRAY BLADES FIT ON THESE SERPENT DOG BONES?

I SHOULD HAVE JUST BOUGHT AN EXTRA SERPENT DIFF FOR THE FRONT, BUT THE PRICE WAS RIGHT ON THE SPEC-R

(I DIDNT GO THROUGH THE HUNDREDS OR THOUSANDS OF POSTS TO SEE IF THIS WAS ASKED ALREADY) IF SO, SORRY IN ADVANCE
Old 08-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
what oil are you using and grade for mod ?
exceed 400cst in the rear and 450cst in the front.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jamison R
So the hard arms provide more or less grip? and do they take out any slop?
I didn't notice any difference in grip... if there was it must have been small.

I didn't take notice of slop as I never worry about it. I played around once a while ago and could not prove that slop was faster or slower (tamiya of course).
Old 08-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Struggled all day today in the 10.5 class Setup was definitely lacking rear grip. Plus it didn't help that the right-side steering link popped off more than once......now off to tinker
Old 08-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft
hay guys can anyone tell me what the width of the bearings are in the wheels diffs and layshaft i wanty to order the boca bearings but i didnt measure the widths i have the ID and OD im away at work at the moment for a week

10x15 by 4
5x8 by 2
5x10 by 4
6x12 by 4

thanks
bearing set
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-ar-ber-s05.jpg  
Old 08-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

seen one of these cars on the track and got to check it out in person ...pretty impressive
Old 08-21-2011, 08:56 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Struggled all day today in the 10.5 class Setup was definitely lacking rear grip. Plus it didn't help that the right-side steering link popped off more than once......now off to tinker
Hi JB
If you are breaking loose on power..I would change the rear spring to one step harder from the box stock and one hole outward in the rear shock tower.
believe me or not .I was able to get the serpent to rotated around the corner like my xray ...serpent like thicker shock oil... xray 600cst and 450..it help to smooth out the car...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.