Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 05-09-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by iScream

Still looking for suggestions on a brushless motor/ESC setup.
I did a quick search on eBay for "Brushless Combo" and found dozens of great deals. There is a good deal on Hobbywing Stock Combo Speed Control & 17.5 Brushless Motor right now. It's a no-reserve auction and the bid is at $1.04 with 6 days to go.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

i've got a basically new hobbywing v2.1 with mod or stock thunderpower motors i can make you a great deal on. pm me if interested.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CamLS
If you want more speed than a 17.5t, look at any of the Turnigy Trackstar motors in the single winds, or even a 13.5t. If you are just bashing, you will be more than happy with the power any of the Turnigy motors provide for the value. If you want to get into racing, then any of those motors will allow you to compete as well.

As for an ESC, are you looking for a basic one with no boost/timing adjustment options, or something more adjustable with a programming box and fully adjustable boost/timing functions? A lot of the cheaper Hobbywing ESC's can handle higher single turn mod motors, so have a look at those and go from there. It will be hard to beat their value unless you get a used high end ESC for cheap. Most ESC's will handle 3s as long as they list it, but that may be more power than your S411 can handle. If you want more speed with a 2s lipo, just go for a mod motor like a 4-7 turn. With proper gearing, those low turn motors are insanely fast.

The Savox 1251 is a great servo and it's the one that I use for racing, and a lot of others use it as well! They are $55 ish new, so keep that in mind when buying used.
What is a single wind brushless motor, never heard of such a thing. All the motors I see usually have at least 2 if not more strands of wire in them???

Then you say the ESC can handle higher turn motors but then you say a 4-7 is a low turn motor, this is getting really confusing.

Last edited by Rodney Racer; 05-09-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rodney Racer
What is a single wind brushless motor, never heard of such a thing. All the motors I see usually have at least 2 if not more strands of wire in them???

Then you say the ESC can handle higher turn motors but then you say a 4-7 is a low turn motor, this is getting really confusing.
Most esc's come in two standards they either handle from about 8 or 9 turns and up and 2 turns and up the ones that handle 2 and up are considered mod esc's and handle much more abuse and heat and are also usually more expensive
Old 05-10-2014, 09:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CamLS
If you want more speed than a 17.5t, look at any of the Turnigy Trackstar motors in the single winds, or even a 13.5t. If you are just bashing, you will be more than happy with the power any of the Turnigy motors provide for the value. If you want to get into racing, then any of those motors will allow you to compete as well.

As for an ESC, are you looking for a basic one with no boost/timing adjustment options, or something more adjustable with a programming box and fully adjustable boost/timing functions? A lot of the cheaper Hobbywing ESC's can handle higher single turn mod motors, so have a look at those and go from there. It will be hard to beat their value unless you get a used high end ESC for cheap. Most ESC's will handle 3s as long as they list it, but that may be more power than your S411 can handle. If you want more speed with a 2s lipo, just go for a mod motor like a 4-7 turn. With proper gearing, those low turn motors are insanely fast.

The Savox 1251 is a great servo and it's the one that I use for racing, and a lot of others use it as well! They are $55 ish new, so keep that in mind when buying used.
Thanks again. I need to make up my mind about what level ESC and motor I want to buy. I don't think I'll need too many features for this car, as I plan to drive it right now, but don't want to end up wishing I had some adjustment later because I didn't spend a few extra bucks up front.

I have a Tekin setup in my buggy, with the Hotwire, and I like it a lot. I have an Airtronics MT-4S transmitter so I can program a Super Vortex ESC from the TX. But both of those options are way overkill.

Anyway, I need to do more reading and make up my mind.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by iScream
Thanks again. I need to make up my mind about what level ESC and motor I want to buy. I don't think I'll need too many features for this car, as I plan to drive it right now, but don't want to end up wishing I had some adjustment later because I didn't spend a few extra bucks up front.

I have a Tekin setup in my buggy, with the Hotwire, and I like it a lot. I have an Airtronics MT-4S transmitter so I can program a Super Vortex ESC from the TX. But both of those options are way overkill.

Anyway, I need to do more reading and make up my mind.
I have an rs pro with a red line 7.5 in my tc6.1 and a Rsx in my eryx both perform flawlessly and are wicked fast. A used rspro I would recommend you can find them for around 100.00 great esc for the money
Old 05-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
This is the combo I run most of the time, and that's exactly my experience. I'm always searching for more mid-corner steering but I haven't found a spring combo that I like better, so I usually end up back at the safe, easy to drive setup
Are Yokomo springs 25mm in length? The S411 shocks being short, and the other brands' springs longer, wouldn't it affect the actual pounds that they carry when they are compressed more when installed? (I guess the question is how linear the springs are..). I currently use Serpent Grey F/White R and I see that the combo is not much different from Yoko P/B combo. Can somebody explain why Yoko springs are used so popular over Serpent spring combos? Thanks,
Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks to all you guys for the help. I'm leaning toward a Tekin RS Gen 2 and a Tekin 13.5 turn motor. I may put this thing on the shelf for a couple months though, so I can build up a truggy.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I use the Tekin gen 2 esc in my 2wd buggy. Great esc! Let me know how you get on with it running Onroad...
Old 05-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Are Yokomo springs 25mm in length? The S411 shocks being short, and the other brands' springs longer, wouldn't it affect the actual pounds that they carry when they are compressed more when installed? (I guess the question is how linear the springs are..). I currently use Serpent Grey F/White R and I see that the combo is not much different from Yoko P/B combo. Can somebody explain why Yoko springs are used so popular over Serpent spring combos? Thanks,
They're a bit longer than the Serpent springs. With the collars all the way up, I can just get it to around 5mm ride height so it works fine. I don't know why they're so popular. I see a lot of pros running the Yokomo combo on several different cars, so I tried them and liked them. It does feel quite similar to Serpent white/grey.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I think it is simply down to the consistency on the Yokomo or ride springs compared to the serpent springs. I've had and seen serpent springs which are different lengths right out of the packet and spring pairs which compress against each other at different rates. To me the Yokomo / ride springs just feel better, better matched and are more consistent than the Serpent springs...
Old 05-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So for those of you that had asked about running the TE/LE RCM shocks on the ERYX, I thought I would go back and try this again, but with a little more time to tinker with them.

First observation was that going from the ERYX short shock equipment to the TE/LE long shock setup, with all things being equal, the long shock setup comes in at 8 grams more weight, or about 2 grams more weight per corner.

I settled on a shock setup of 500 front 3 piston and 400 rear 3 piston using the stock lower orings, and Yokomo pink and blue springs.

The setup stayed the same but just changed the towers and shocks and tried the car with the same shock locations as well. The car worked fairly well but ended up changing both the front and rear shock position for the best feel, with standing the rear shock up one hole and dropping the front shock down one hole from where I had been running the short shocks. The car was able to equal my best time from the previous setup, but I felt like the car either needed to be widened out front and rear a little to make it feel a little more stable. I cant say for certain if this was because the cog was raised that little more that made the car feel like it rolled slightly more. Not really a adverse feeling but I think it could be better making it wider.

I am going to change a couple more things with the shocks, but the car had a more numbed feeling which I think can be tuned for a faster lap yet.

So all in all, if you have the parts give it a try, it may work well for your track application.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Tech Regular

Has anyone here tried the reflex racing 20 mm shock springs for the x-ray on the eryx? If so what color are you using for front and rear on med traction asphalt?
Old 05-17-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Does any one know if the arms, c hubs, steering blocks and rear uprights from the eryx will fit on the new 3.0.
Thanks
Old 05-17-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Anyone try the 4 hole pistons, if whats the difference n feel compared to the 3 hole pistons

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.