Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by CamLS
Does anyone have any experience using the 3Racing spring set (the one in a box) with the LE/TE? I want to be able to test out different spring rates but don't want to shell out $60+ to do a little experiment. The 3Racing set sells for $17 for comparison.
That $17 will get you nearly all of the springs you actually need for this car.

I have tried pretty much every spring from Hpi, xray, yokomo, Tamiya and serpent on this car. I really like the kit black grey springs as they are easy to drive on carpet and asphalt. If you run primarily on asphalt the Ride red or Hpi silver front rear are faster and depending on which you can get easier id run those. Sometimes you need the harder front spring especially if you race where it's hot and that is where a pair of purple or pink come into play. On carpet stick with the tried and true yokomo springs. Rides also work really well on carpet but if you look to ETS everyone uses yoko springs.

So If I were to spend my money again I would just get the following.

Short ride red springs x 2 and purple x 1
Or
1x Hpi pink and 2x silver
Plus
1 x yokomo blue and 1 x pink.

Here is an interesting read on springs http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...t-results.html
Old 05-06-2014, 02:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Got springs?
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-image.jpg  
Old 05-06-2014, 04:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Nice. I have a similar number which I cart around and usually I end up on a ride spring every time. Makes me wander if I should lighten the load in the pit bag a bit
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
That $17 will get you nearly all of the springs you actually need for this car.

I have tried pretty much every spring from Hpi, xray, yokomo, Tamiya and serpent on this car. I really like the kit black grey springs as they are easy to drive on carpet and asphalt. If you run primarily on asphalt the Ride red or Hpi silver front rear are faster and depending on which you can get easier id run those. Sometimes you need the harder front spring especially if you race where it's hot and that is where a pair of purple or pink come into play. On carpet stick with the tried and true yokomo springs. Rides also work really well on carpet but if you look to ETS everyone uses yoko springs.

So If I were to spend my money again I would just get the following.

Short ride red springs x 2 and purple x 1
Or
1x Hpi pink and 2x silver
Plus
1 x yokomo blue and 1 x pink.

Here is an interesting read on springs http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...t-results.html

Thanks for the info Benzaah. The one thing I'm confused about with the 3Racing springs is the numbers listed beside them:

3Racing Spring set
M1.5 x 21 (4.25)
M1.5 x 21 (4.50)
M1.5 x 21 (4.75)
M1.5 x 21 (5.0)
M1.5 x 21 (5.25)
M1.5 x 21 (5.50)
M1.5 x 21 (5.75)
M1.5 x 21 (6.0)
M1.5 x 21 (6.5)

Are the numbers in brackets the N/mm measurements? If that is the case then they would all be significantly harder than the springs everyone (as far as I know) uses at our club track, and the larger WCICS series races.

I'm currently running Serpent White in the rear and Serpent Grey in the front on our small medium/high grip carpet track.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks for the info Benzaah. The one thing I'm confused about with the 3Racing springs is the numbers listed beside them:

3Racing Spring set
M1.5 x 21 (4.25)
M1.5 x 21 (4.50)
M1.5 x 21 (4.75)
M1.5 x 21 (5.0)
M1.5 x 21 (5.25)
M1.5 x 21 (5.50)
M1.5 x 21 (5.75)
M1.5 x 21 (6.0)
M1.5 x 21 (6.5)

Are the numbers in brackets the N/mm measurements? If that is the case then they would all be significantly harder than the springs everyone (as far as I know) uses at our club track, and the larger WCICS series races.

I'm currently running Serpent White in the rear and Serpent Grey in the front on our small medium/high grip carpet track.
If that is the N/mm they are probably for asphalt racing and also if 21 is the stack height they are pretty short as well, so not sure if they would work on the RCM LE/TE stock shock. For carpet we find the springs up to 16ish or lower are preferred.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

3Racing Spring set
M1.5 x 21 (4.25)
M1.5 x 21 (4.50)
M1.5 x 21 (4.75)
M1.5 x 21 (5.0)
M1.5 x 21 (5.25)
M1.5 x 21 (5.50)
M1.5 x 21 (5.75)
M1.5 x 21 (6.0)
M1.5 x 21 (6.5)

The 1.5 is the wire size thickness, the 21 is the length of the spring in mm, the (4.25) is the amount of coils of the spring. 4.25 means four and 1/4 coils.

Steve
Old 05-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by corallyman
The 1.5 is the wire size thickness, the 21 is the length of the spring in mm, the (4.25) is the amount of coils of the spring. 4.25 means four and 1/4 coils.

Steve
Thanks for clearing that up, I had no idea it meant the # of coils. It looks like the Spec-R springs are the same as X-ray and come in two sets from 2.5 N/mm through to 3.2 N/mm. A guy at the track has them on his Spec-R R1 so will measure them to be sure they will fit, but they should.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been playing with the Reflex Racig springs (short style for the XRAY T4). I also have Yokomo springs. I've experienced the following.....

Yokomo black front and rear: good on high bite, rotated well at low speeds

Yokomo blue front, black rear: same as above except a tad pushier all around (may be easier to drive for some people)

Yokomo pink front, blue rear: good high speed rotation, a tad pushy midcorner, also very easy to drive

RSD white front and rear (12.5lb): loads of low speed rotation, can help with traction roll, pushy at high speeds

RSD black front and rear (13.5lb): car handled very similar to Yokomo blacks except car seemed to roll a TAD more

RSD blue front and rear (14.8?lb): felt good on lower bite, very balanced between low and high speed rotation

RSD blue front, black rear: drove like Yokomo blue/black combo, but in my opinion a bit more steering and the slightest bit more lazy overall

My home track is REALLY high bite, 9-ish second laptimes for stock.

I've been running the 4-hole pistons, usually 400-450wt oil with the Reflex springs, 500wt with Yokomo blacks, and 550 or so with Yokomo pink and/or blue. I can run the same laptimes with either brand of spring, but the car drives a little differently with each shock package.

Don't be afraid to experiment! On higher bite I'm liking the Reflex springs, as they are shorter and the slightest bit more linear than Yokomo. On lower bite I've found the Yokomo springs are usually a little easier to drive. Honestly you can make either one work for you.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
Yokomo pink front, blue rear: good high speed rotation, a tad pushy midcorner, also very easy to drive
This is the combo I run most of the time, and that's exactly my experience. I'm always searching for more mid-corner steering but I haven't found a spring combo that I like better, so I usually end up back at the safe, easy to drive setup
Old 05-08-2014, 07:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Hey guys,

I bought an almost roller S411 from the classified section today. Not planning to race, just rip up and down the street out front and in some parking lots. If I can get a couple people from work to buy cars we might set up some cones or something during lunch but who knows what the chance of that actually is.

Can anyone recommend a decent brushless motor and ESC combo? Sensored would be nice but I don't need a lot of features beyond that. How many lipo cells should I be looking at running?

Also, what do I need for a servo?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by iScream
Hey guys,

I bought an almost roller S411 from the classified section today. Not planning to race, just rip up and down the street out front and in some parking lots. If I can get a couple people from work to buy cars we might set up some cones or something during lunch but who knows what the chance of that actually is.

Can anyone recommend a decent brushless motor and ESC combo? Sensored would be nice but I don't need a lot of features beyond that. How many lipo cells should I be looking at running?

Also, what do I need for a servo?

Thanks for any help.
For a motor, I would go with a $30 Turnigy Trackstar 17.5turn, a Hobbywing justock 45amp esc for $53, a Turnigy 2s lipo of your choice for $30 or less, and a servo with a 10 transit speed or faster. A stock servo from your radio system will also work fine if it came with one. A decent charger can be had for $50 or less all over the net as well. As for your car, it's not exactly a street basher, so be very careful of rocks getting jammed in the diffs. It might also be a wise idea to get a chassis protection film for the bottom of your chassis.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by CamLS; 05-08-2014 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-08-2014, 09:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For a motor, I would go with a $30 Turnigy Trackstar 17.5turn, a Hobbywing justock 45amp esc for $53, a Turnigy 2s lipo of your choice for $30 or less, and a servo with a 10 transit speed or faster. A stock servo from your radio system will also work fine if it came with one. A decent charger can be had for $50 or less all over the net as well. As for your car, it's not exactly a street basher, so be very careful of rocks getting jammed in the diffs. It might also be a wise idea to get a chassis protection film for the bottom of your chassis.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into the protective film and I'll pay attention to where I'm running to protect the diffs from rocks.

I would really like to go brushless though and have support for at least 3S lipo packs.

I have a Venom Medion dual 10amp charger I use for my 1/8th scale buggy and monster truck.

I found a Savox 1251 servo in the classified section and contacted the seller. Hopefully I'll end up with it.

Still looking for suggestions on a brushless motor/ESC setup.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Tech Elite

Ive heard the 3.0 is delayed by at least 2 more weeks. Now looking end of May release if not beginning June
Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

http://www.serpent.com/news/13754/ER...-is-added.html

Obviously my source is not particularly reliable hahahahaha.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by iScream
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into the protective film and I'll pay attention to where I'm running to protect the diffs from rocks.

I would really like to go brushless though and have support for at least 3S lipo packs.

I have a Venom Medion dual 10amp charger I use for my 1/8th scale buggy and monster truck.

I found a Savox 1251 servo in the classified section and contacted the seller. Hopefully I'll end up with it.

Still looking for suggestions on a brushless motor/ESC setup.
If you want more speed than a 17.5t, look at any of the Turnigy Trackstar motors in the single winds, or even a 13.5t. If you are just bashing, you will be more than happy with the power any of the Turnigy motors provide for the value. If you want to get into racing, then any of those motors will allow you to compete as well.

As for an ESC, are you looking for a basic one with no boost/timing adjustment options, or something more adjustable with a programming box and fully adjustable boost/timing functions? A lot of the cheaper Hobbywing ESC's can handle higher single turn mod motors, so have a look at those and go from there. It will be hard to beat their value unless you get a used high end ESC for cheap. Most ESC's will handle 3s as long as they list it, but that may be more power than your S411 can handle. If you want more speed with a 2s lipo, just go for a mod motor like a 4-7 turn. With proper gearing, those low turn motors are insanely fast.

The Savox 1251 is a great servo and it's the one that I use for racing, and a lot of others use it as well! They are $55 ish new, so keep that in mind when buying used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.