Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for getting back to me and answering my questions.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default WCIC Moose Jaw

I was at the same race as Steve. Ran 3 classes and was really happy with all three cars, luck, not so much, but the cars worked very well. The qualifying was very close, and I wasn't able to make the A in the stock or mod finals, but had some really fun tight races in the B mains. The stock 17.5 setup is for the ERYX, the other two are on the TE cars, but there are more blanks to fill on the 2.0 sheet, so that is what I used. I also checked the track as a high traction track as I felt that by the end of the weekend the traction was pretty high. Although I did not compensate for this at the start of the weekend, just fine tuned the roll centers and worked on the driving.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S4112.0_CTA1.pdf (198.8 KB, 103 views)
S4112.0_MOD1.pdf (199.7 KB, 118 views)
S4112.0_STOCK 17.51.pdf (199.6 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Had a full day of practise at a club day yesterday, again had the chance to run through a lot of different things with the Eryx, and making (IMO) real progress with the car in terms of what I feel it needs.

The track was Bayside, and consists of a opening half a lap of reasonable high speed turns, followed by four hairpins back to back at the end of the lap. Also really bumpy, and the car is very hard on drivetrain and cars in general (most of the bumps are on hard acceleration and braking zones).

Started out with the same setup I ended up with from last weekend at Logan, with the exception of using a Speed6 shell, and raising the ride height to cope with the bumps.

Car was good straight away, with good steering, and rotation, with plenty of on-power as well (something I'm still getting used to having!). If anything the car was too reactive on the front, so lowered the front shock one hole on the tower to take the edge off, which helped. Next run, put 0.5mm spacers on the front axle to also help widen the car and reduce the initial bite. Normally, I'd prefer to this on the blocks than axle spacers, but I haven't been able to get any wider mirrored blocks yet. Again, this also helped, but the track had started to grip up, and was losing steering.

At this point, I did feel that the car was a bit soft, partly causing the body to scrape a lot. Switched to HPI Silver/Blue from the Yokomo Pink/Blue, and certainly moved around less, but with the track gripping up, I had lost some steering.

For the first qualifier, to gain steering, moved the front shocks back to hole 3, and bolted on the LTC... well, steering wasn't an issues now.. too far the other way, oops! Q2, put the shocks back to hole 2 on the front, and did improve the feel, but still too keen to get into the high speed turns for my average thumbs...

For the first final, decided to go back to the Yokomo springs, and take some droop out of the car... somewhat suprisingly, this took close to 3/10ths off my fastest lap, which I wasn't expecting given the tyres were well beyond their best by this point. Still struggled with balance in the high speed stuff (having to be really gentle on turn in), although it was very good in the slow speed hairpins...

Last final, gave the car some anti-dive to try and stop the car pitching too much, and also upped the rear diff oil to 3000. Honestly didn't really feel too much difference, and still struggled with the initial bite on the the faster turns. Driving it really smooth, and it was fast, but it also meant having to take some unconventional lines that didn't race well. Having said that, even with the struggles, posted my fastest time of the night, and was still on the lead lap as well, so happy enough with that.

Sitting down with the car, I'm pretty convinced now that going to wider front suspension blocks (either with straight arm, or a little bit of sweep) will help, and take away the initial bite, making the car a bit easier to drive, and hopefully able to carry better corner speed too.

Still really happy with how the car works, despite the issues, and really enjoying racing and driving it at the moment... a few more tweaks, and it should be very nicely dialled in for a base setup.

Ed
Attached Files
EC - WynnumPrac - 16Mar13.pdf (232.7 KB, 118 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 02:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tryhard, can you tell me the reference numbers of those yokomo springs??

thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jimjav
Tryhard, can you tell me the reference numbers of those yokomo springs??

thanks
Blue - YS14575L
Pink - YS1565L

Regards
Ed
Old 03-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default WA States.

here is a vid Rob took of my car for the first leg of the final. was just 1.5 secs off the track record, and Leg 2 was 7 tenths from Leg 1. Leg 3, as i had already won, i pushed pretty hard in Leg 3. i was 1.5 secs up on the track record, when a CV pin failed, and tore the right rear hub. i limped home in 3rd. but here is the Vid from Leg 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=slhtnh6gbqE
Old 03-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
here is a vid Rob took of my car for the first leg of the final. was just 1.5 secs off the track record, and Leg 2 was 7 tenths from Leg 1. Leg 3, as i had already won, i pushed pretty hard in Leg 3. i was 1.5 secs up on the track record, when a CV pin failed, and tore the right rear hub. i limped home in 3rd. but here is the Vid from Leg 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=slhtnh6gbqE
Looked really nice, what's the size of that track? Looks pretty big overall. We're still in carpet season, so we are on a big carpet track, but compared to that track, it's much smaller. What motor was that?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-17-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Finally pitched my new Tekin Redline Gen2 4.5 into the TE yesterday for a race. that motor was STUPID... i actually had to run -70 expo on the throttle to manage it on a 80x36 carpet track lol.
ran no boost at all and still had a bit of a power advantage from what i could see, though driving the lines with lots of horsepower im not used to was another story.

took 3 heats and no practice to get the 411 sorted out. ended up very close to stock but 3mm orh droop f, 3.5 rear and 450cst with yellow/grey spring combo. i didnt really think to try stiffer springs but the car was pitching over more than i would have liked and dragging the front of the body going into corners. but.. any stiffer and it would have been too slippery i think.
but all day in qualifying i was clearly a moving hazard to the more experienced guys in mod. by mains time, when i had somewhat figured the car out i was on the same lap only a second behind the major action happening ahead of me, somehow managed to get into third and stick it. second was maybe a second ahead of me still but i was too busy trying to keep the lines and dicipline with all the power.

i might also look to change escs for next season as my tekinrs pro had a couple thermals with the dragbrake which neutered two of my qualifiers alone. found a fan for the main but a bit disappointing.

Blake ran my other serpent in stock and his performance was pretty good with it for never touching the car before. he ran it with all my electrics and qualified second or third but had bad luck in the main. the gearmesh looks good but still roasted the spur off the line. he got hit and to add insult to injury, the bearings from the steering system got pushed out lol...
i guess ill have a look for some flanged bearings for the steering arms for both cars.

always nice to have a driver that can kick your ass any day of the week point out all the weak points of your car. somethings i can address going into the outdoor season
Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

was able to try some things last night on my eryx and am happy with how it ended up. still working on it but this is a good setup from last night. its different than what everyone else is running. might be worth a try. just a note i was running the kit sway bars and my shock caps were drilled and my rebound was set to zero. also used 500 cst oil both front and rear.
Attached Files
hanger-jenkins eryx 2.0.pdf (206.6 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by jeff jenkins; 03-18-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
Blue - YS14575L
Pink - YS1565L

Regards
Ed
So you are using softer springs in tarmac than the originals, Interesting, i will talk with the yokomo guy here to buy some pairs. The wyokomo blue one it's even softer than the serpent white
Old 03-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by corallyman
Looked really nice, what's the size of that track? Looks pretty big overall. We're still in carpet season, so we are on a big carpet track, but compared to that track, it's much smaller. What motor was that?

Thanks,

Steve
looking at about 250mt racing line. 70mt front straight, 40 mt back straight. the sweeper is banked. lap times in mid to high 15's.
i usually use a 3.5T , but lack of time i never changed from the last 40 deg C day. in that Vid was a Speedpassion 5.5T gt-2.0. speeds last time we had a Radar gun at the track were 118km/hr. my cons for that Final were 0.15. on a big track it is easy to mess up your cons by missing one or 2 apexes.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by jimjav
So you are using softer springs in tarmac than the originals, Interesting, i will talk with the yokomo guy here to buy some pairs. The wyokomo blue one it's even softer than the serpent white
Yup, very soft. Works though... Still want to compare to Ride's again when I get the chance, hopefully this weekend
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

i realized i made a couple mistakes in my posted setup so i edited my post to include the correct setup. I originally had the wrong rear shock position now it has the correct one.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So I tried to run the clear o-rings in the short shocks to get rid of the weeping issues. Shocks didn't show as much "wet" look to them, BUT, I don't think they where as consistant as when they had the black stock o_rings in. At the moment I think the blacks with more shock maintenence may be the better setup.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jeff jenkins
i realized i made a couple mistakes in my posted setup so i edited my post to include the correct setup. I originally had the wrong rear shock position now it has the correct one.
Guys, I race with Jeff and his car is getting better all the time. If anyone else is looking for carpet help then this info should help. When the weather gets better in a couple months we will be running some asphalt and I can't wait.

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.