Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
Always hear great things about serpent, so excited to finally own one (2)

Gonna be running it in 17.5 blinky at our upcoming speed weekend. also, a mod car just for giggles and something to do between the 4 hour rounds.
sadly we don't run touring cars in our regular winter season so ill only have 12th scale night to practice with it and try to get it setup, so i definitely will be asking advice.
im still noob to the sport, but working my way up. figured it was time to take the equipment out of the equation =)
Welcome to the Serpent club. This is by far the friendliest and most helpful group I have encountered here. Scroll up to see my latest walls of text questions.

We originally had 7 S411's at the track, but I am the only one left. Some are no longer doing RC, other's moved to Xray. Being down the street from Nexus Racing makes Xray the car of choice, and they are quite competitive out of the box. The Serpent requires a little more setup effort but I think can be just as fast.

A-Main finishing order 17.5 TC at our regional race last week.

1. Associated TC6.1
2. Xray T4
3. Tamiya 417
4. Xray T3 2012
5. Serpent S411
6. Associated TC6.1
7. Associated TC6.1
8. Xray T4

1st and 3rd are team drivers for those chassis' and 2nd used to be.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I doubt ill be in the a main this year. Stongely doubt.
I might make b main though with the combination of vrc training and now having new, modern equipment.
Last winter i ran a used tc5 which was my first car. The summer i ran a team magic e4 which i still love.
This speed weekend i have a brand new radio system and a modern set of cars.
But. Only my second year racing. If i make bmain ill be really happy.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by valk
I doubt ill be in the a main this year. Stongely doubt.
I might make b main though with the combination of vrc training and now having new, modern equipment.
Last winter i ran a used tc5 which was my first car. The summer i ran a team magic e4 which i still love.
This speed weekend i have a brand new radio system and a modern set of cars.
But. Only my second year racing. If i make bmain ill be really happy.
Other then racing when I was a kid back in the late 80's/early 90's, I started back up at the end of 2010, and didn't really start doing anything till May of 2011. Practice practice practice. Ask the faster guys for help, follow their lines, keep improving. You will get there!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone tried the David Ehbar steering rack mod? Dropping the rack, running the 4.5mm spacers underneath, and taking all the bumpsteer out.

Just curious what you've found if you've tried it. I also wonder how much going to the 2* c-hubs effected this too.

I've been running it, (less the 2*) and can't get a handle on if its helping or hurting the car........its almost feels like its helping free the corner speed up, but I'm on a real bear of a track setup right now, so I dont have a good baseline to compare this to.

ED, help...lol, or anyone else.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Has anyone tried the David Ehbar steering rack mod? Dropping the rack, running the 4.5mm spacers underneath, and taking all the bumpsteer out.

Just curious what you've found if you've tried it. I also wonder how much going to the 2* c-hubs effected this too.

I've been running it, (less the 2*) and can't get a handle on if its helping or hurting the car........its almost feels like its helping free the corner speed up, but I'm on a real bear of a track setup right now, so I dont have a good baseline to compare this to.

I'm driving the Ehrbar steering mod on medium/high grip carpet track.

Works really good as the steering to wheel input seems to be linear through the whole corner. With the original steering posts I had the problem going into the corner I had to turn the wheel more than exiting the corner so it was harder to drive consistently.

OK there work other factors too but since I modified it it gave me a little more confidence

Old 11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone

I'm a new Serpent S411 owner. I was very impressed on my first outing with the S411 v2. However I did notice that the steering rack had a lot of slop. particularly where the flange bearing meets the steering posts. I would get inconsistent turning.

I've experimented a bit and put Tamiya 416 steering arms with 501x steering post. No slop. Ever since then, I've been getting very consistent turning. Very happy with the outcome. I'll be easy-offing the blue now that I will be keeping this Mod.

Cheers,
Chris.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Geberit

Works really good as the steering to wheel input seems to be linear through the whole corner. With the original steering posts I had the problem going into the corner I had to turn the wheel more than exiting the corner so it was harder to drive consistently.

OK there work other factors too but since I modified it it gave me a little more confidence
Wow, if that layout doesn't test the turning ability of a car, I'm not sure what would. Thanks for the input.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Geberit

Double post, sorry.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Nice track! Where is that?
Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5tylez
I'm a new Serpent S411 owner. I was very impressed on my first outing with the S411 v2. However I did notice that the steering rack had a lot of slop. particularly where the flange bearing meets the steering posts. I would get inconsistent turning.

I've experimented a bit and put Tamiya 416 steering arms with 501x steering post. No slop. Ever since then, I've been getting very consistent turning. Very happy with the outcome. I'll be easy-offing the blue now that I will be keeping this Mod.

Cheers,
Chris.

I have been itching to get rid of the slop in my steering rack. Can you list what all was needed to do this. And are these the steering post from the 501x

Old 11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5tylez

Cheers,
Chris.
Chris, where'd you get that 411 from? Ryan finally talked you into it? Thought you were strictly a Tamiya guy, lol. Good for you dude.

Any case, still got your old 417 although I'm debating on letting it go and picking up a second 411. Yeah, I'm also thinking of getting away from blue.

Hope to be racing with you and the usual suspects in Whitby in the near future.

Ray
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 98tahoeboy
I have been itching to get rid of the slop in my steering rack. Can you list what all was needed to do this. And are these the steering post from the 501x

yes those are the correct steering posts
416 steering arms are hard to come by now, however the Db01 / 501 uses the same steering arms. well at least half of a set. u will need to buy 2 sets of Db01 / 501 aluminum steering arms.
http://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-53971-t...h=595_744_1011

Yeah racing makes a silver set: (bearings not included)
http://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-tr...h=595_744_1011

then you need a 1mm spacer to go under the steering post, to clear the belt and servo plate and nuts when arms are at full steering.

finally a 0.1 shim that goes in between the steering bridge and steering arms.
if you download any TRF 416 - 417 manual, u can see which shim Im talking about when assembling a tamiya steering rack.

if you can find a tamiya MSXX steering arms they will be better as they are slightly longer giving a wider throw.

hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by modelfan
Chris, where'd you get that 411 from? Ryan finally talked you into it? Thought you were strictly a Tamiya guy, lol. Good for you dude.

Any case, still got your old 417 although I'm debating on letting it go and picking up a second 411. Yeah, I'm also thinking of getting away from blue.

Hope to be racing with you and the usual suspects in Whitby in the near future.

Ray
Sup Ray,
yes since TCS kinda fizzled out, there is no need to stick to the Blue.
when are you coming back to to Toronto?

check your PMs, I sent u a message.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve S
Nice track! Where is that?
Its in Austria, Leoben. I'm from Slovenia and It's one hour drive from my home.

They have a Buggy track on the back side and they will organize the EOS (European off-road series) race in March http://www.eurooffroadseries.com/

Old 11-10-2012, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 411s plastic shocks

New guy here. Not sure how to post questions. Hope this works. I just bought the 411 sport version and I am having a difficult time with the plastic shocks. When I try to screw on the top caps, the caps are not very strong. They keep popping off the shock body. If I hit any obstruction with the car my shocks fall apart. Any ideas as to what I should do? Thanks Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.