Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
For VBC, can go direct - http://www.vbcracing.com/ or to CRC in the US http://www.teamcrc.com/

HiH
Ed
Sorry ... not thinking straight to today .... ignore this post ...

Last edited by FaanP; 11-05-2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: I'm a idiot ....
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FaanP
I don't think the serpent spurs will fit when I install this diff - Am I right? Only X-Ray spurs?
Pretty sure this diff will not effect your spur selection. It's in a separate area of the car...
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RasCalDK
As it is my setup I know it quiet well
As you can see, I'm not running a standard TE diff. I'm using 4 small Xceed plastic gears, instead of the 2 small metal gears. I assume that your diff is standard, which means you will need to use a thicker diff oil.
When running the standard diff, you will be looking at something around 2000 cst instead of the 1200 I used.
When you use to soft diff oil, you can get some strange behavior from the car. I have experienced that to soft oil, can make the rear step out coming into a corner, but not every time. I could go through corner 4 times, but the 5. time the rear would just slide without any warning.

I'm glad that I can see people using my setups, and liking them, really makes me wanna help and keep on posting setups
Well insted of cracking the diff open I changed the camber to -2 rear, -1 front. Layed the rear shocks down a tad more and reduced my d/r on my radio. And Bingo! seem to solve my stepping out in the rear at corner exit. I always have to try the simple stuff first. Car is awesome. And is it me or am I the only one running a 3.54FDR with 17.5 Blinky? Everyone else says to stick around 4.0fdr+. My temps are within reason and it's a carpet track around 90ftx40ft I believe. Does that seem too far fetched?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Akhor
Pretty sure this diff will not effect your spur selection. It's in a separate area of the car...

Yeah .... as I said in the reason for my post edit - I'm an idiot ... blue Monday I guess
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TJames987
Hey ya’all I was wondering if s411 owners opinions on the Team Edition versus the original s411 I have?

Anyone using the Derlin driveshaft adapters for front spool, what is its purpose?

I have the “soft” rear A-arms, are most people upgrading them to “medium” or “hard” parts?

Thanks. ya'all. This car was the only one that made the a-main this weekend at my local carpet track the rest were T4 XRAYS
Both are great cars, I pretty much run a combination of both cars as there are great tuning options between them all.

The Delrin adapter is a much lighter version of the aluminum spool, it seems to have very good durability, haven't broke one yet. It just lightens the car and the rotational mass.

Most go to the "Hard" parts, makes the car feel more predictable.

Great results.

Originally Posted by Cestaric
Thanks Lock,
this diff would be a direct change on my S411TE ?
Just take to Stock diff off and use this one from CRC ?

Cestaric
I think you have to change out the pin cushions and the axles as well. Check back for Tryhards post a few pages back, he gives a list of the parts needed to change over.

Originally Posted by Green Machine!
Well insted of cracking the diff open I changed the camber to -2 rear, -1 front. Layed the rear shocks down a tad more and reduced my d/r on my radio. And Bingo! seem to solve my stepping out in the rear at corner exit. I always have to try the simple stuff first. Car is awesome. And is it me or am I the only one running a 3.54FDR with 17.5 Blinky? Everyone else says to stick around 4.0fdr+. My temps are within reason and it's a carpet track around 90ftx40ft I believe. Does that seem too far fetched?
It really depends on what motor you run and what combination of parts you're using in the motor, and what timing you run on the motor. I wouldn't worry so much about what others run, but what makes you fast. I find with the combination of parts I run, that my FDR is never close to what the others are running.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Green Machine!
Good to hear, glad that you got the car sorted out
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
I had a pretty good weekend at the first WCIC series race, the report and setups should be posted in the next couple days.....I'll post the link when its up.
Here it is.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...CIC2012102627/
Old 11-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

I have used the Delrin spool outdrives a few times and they break after about one run with a 4.5 mod car, we use hard arm front and rear, they seem to work good.

Rhys

Originally Posted by TJames987

Anyone using the Derlin driveshaft adapters for front spool, what is its purpose?

I have the “soft” rear A-arms, are most people upgrading them to “medium” or “hard” parts?

Thanks. ya'all. This car was the only one that made the a-main this weekend at my local carpet track the rest were T4 XRAYS
Old 11-06-2012, 05:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crabboy
I have used the Delrin spool outdrives a few times and they break after about one run with a 4.5 mod car, we use hard arm front and rear, they seem to work good.

Rhys
will be fine for stock racing. but currently people use the delrin spool from the sport....
Old 11-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by crabboy

Rhys
Originally Posted by Toughbeard
will be fine for stock racing. but currently people use the delrin spool from the sport....

Thats my bad......completely forgot about the delrin outdrives, which don't last very long, but the delrin spool is very durable. Sorry.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In stock the nylon spool is probably ok, but after five runs in mod, there is noticeable notching going on in the outdrives (fair enough after a couple of grassy momemts). Does seem to give a bit more steering, but that to be expected given its just under half the weight of the stock spool (14g vs 8g).
Ed
Old 11-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

I have about 60 runs on a nylon spool in 17.5 boosted and i reckon its due for a change.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Will any other brand servo lever work on this car?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigRon
Will any other brand servo lever work on this car?
http://www.evilhobbyshop.com/Steerin...u,PR-1488.html

but others should work no problem. just make sure the lenght is correct. or the tierod will hit the upper deck..
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Ran the S411 this past weekend at the GORC (Georgia On Road Championship), a regional race at our local track. Thursday practice had me running 10.5 with the fast guys around 10.0.

Changed camber from 1.5/2.0 to 1.5 all around, softened the entire car, lowered the rear roll centers and the car got very mellow and easier to drive. I had switched to a front diff with 100k in it, and am really liking the feel, even though I know it is costing me a couple tenths. It is a lot more consistent and easy to drive which leads to better qualifiers if not faster laps. Started on Sweep QTS 32's and switched to Jaco Blues (both were spec tire options) on Friday as traction came up and the jacos were more consitent through the 6 min. With 10+ hours of practice friday, got the car down to a 10.0 with the fast guys hitting 9.7's. I also changed the springs from Serpent to RSD (I have the RSD on my VTA) and the car felt better in the chicanes (the weight transfer left to right felt less abrubt and the car felt more planted).

Saturday morning, rebuilt the shocks (with same 35wt oil), cleaned carpet bits out of the diff pullies and went back to work. Hit a 9.9 in controlled practice before the qualifiers started. We did qual points (which still confuses me) but had 3 decent qualifiers (with resorts was running in the "b-main" quals) and qualified 7th overall in the A-Main. There was a little knocking around at the beginning, and I got into 4th in the first lap. The first 3 cars included 2 sponsored drivers and one previously sponsored driver running a TC6.1, Xray T4 and Tamiya 417. One of our fastest drivers (who was TQ until the last qualifier) in his T3 2012 caught me about half way through and I held on to 5th for the remainder of the main, a lap down from the leaders.

Will try a spool sometime soon, as I stil have gobs of steering and when traction comes up, the back end becomes a little looser then I like. I was down to treating only the inner half of the front tires with SXT, and full rears.

It seems a little odd, while trying to dial the car in, I ended up removing all of the shims under the rear hinge pin blocks, and running more on the front (+1.5mm under both fronts). My understanding is this is raising the roll center in the front (removing front traction) while lowering it in the rear (and adding traction). It seems extreme to me though. Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.