Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 09-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital
Taking the S411 (and the S120) to the USVTA Southern Nationals this weekend. Car has felt very good lately, but still a good bit off pace (0.6 sec a lap at home track fast lap to fast lap) and 0.8-0.9 off on regular lapping. I have not had the practice lately which is a big part of it as well.

As I haven't been following this thread as consistently as I was able to in the past, I am curious what the theory is now on the motor mount. It seems the hybrid V1/V2 seems like the new thing to try? Full top deck screws or still skipping some of those near the motor mount?

Current track is a bit bumpy, but the one this weekend is glass smooth. I am assuming I can stiffen things up a little and go for some more traction bite to power through corners a little more aggressively then? Thinking things like sways, shock oil and springs primarily, as I do not have the chassis and top deck options (just stock and flex top decks, and my chassis's are 2.25).

When you guys go to a new track (layout or venue) do you take the car back to either box stock, or some other version of setup, and tune from there? Or do you take what you have, and then adjust as the conditions warrant?
I normally find a good baseline setup and start at that each track.... it may be the kit setup, or it may be waaay out there... as long as it is comfortable to you!

If you plan to go on a higher bite track, expect to take out uptravel, raise camber links, and maybe soften the springs depending how you usually run them. If going to lower bite, do what is necessary to get the back end stuck first, like increase toe, thinner diff oil, lower roll center, etc. I can't tell you how many people would break out of a race from getting loose in the sweeper and causing accidents.

The car doesn't need to be as fast as the track allows..... only faster than the others!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Went from a front gear diff and rear steel shafts to the nylon spool (with sleeves) and aluminun shafts. It cut about 21g of rotating mass from the car, which is a LOT. The gear diffs are heavy so no surprise there, but even the steel spool is about 18, compared to 8-9 for the nylon.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Anyone ever noticed their rear toe being asymmetrical? One side is 3 deg as expected and the other is closer to 2. I don't know if the problem is in the brackets, uprights, or arms.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steve S
Anyone ever noticed their rear toe being asymmetrical? One side is 3 deg as expected and the other is closer to 2. I don't know if the problem is in the brackets, uprights, or arms.
Check your uprights first. I had another manufacture chassis that had this problem. The upright was drilled almost a degree off. It could also be a bent suspension mount. A hard enough hit would wreck the alignment there.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Does anyone know if the new shock pistons will work in the older RCX shocks?
Old 09-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Steve S
while checking all the parts in the rear end, make sure to check your setup tool as well. I had one customer came to with the same problem and it turned out that his setup tool was manufactured wrong...

sometimes a good hit will throw things out of alignment as well.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Does anyone know if the new shock pistons will work in the older RCX shocks?
Hi,
Yes they do,I've had them both apart to check a few months ago.
Hope this helps
Tim
Old 09-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default DJC driveshafts?

Anyone know when the "Serpent DJC Driveshaft Set (2)
[SER401445]" will be back in stock in the US? I saw that amain and stormer hobbies are out of stock.

Any other US distributors have these upgraded driveshafts? Thanks for the help
Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by TJames987
[SER401445]" will be back in stock in the US? I saw that amain and stormer hobbies are out of stock.

Importer SerpentAmerica-DesotoRacing out also. Stormer has email notification and Amain you backorder them and they notify you when they are in stock, no prepayment required, no commitment.

RC-Mushroom has em. I know that's HK. But service is good and sometimes u gotta go HK. I go there when in a pinch. Prob be ~$10 shipping and 2 weeks shipping if you go econo.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Originally Posted by Timbo99
Hi,
Yes they do,I've had them both apart to check a few months ago.
Hope this helps
Tim
Cool. I want to order some of the new machined shock pistons but at $12 a pop and not owning any of the new shocks to put them on, I don't want to waste my money. Has anyone Put together a set with the old bodies?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TJames987

we have them in Stock

41 euros... around 6 euros for shipping to europe. (might be less need to check at order time)

let me know...

[email protected]
Old 09-25-2012, 04:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

just thought I'd share some pics of some parts I'm gonna test out this weekend...

Top deck is a standard 2mm carbon, cut to the same shape as flexie version, but with a more forward flex point, similar in position to other cars out there (i.e. above the steering posts!)

Second pic is my prototype centre servo mount. It's a bit rough round the edges, and a bit too thick in places (even though it's only 5-6g)... can be better! Gonna need to drill an extra hole in the chassis too!

Excuse the crappy iPhone pics though!

Regards
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-img_2972.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2997.jpg  
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cwoods34
I normally find a good baseline setup and start at that each track.... it may be the kit setup, or it may be waaay out there... as long as it is comfortable to you!

If you plan to go on a higher bite track, expect to take out uptravel, raise camber links, and maybe soften the springs depending how you usually run them. If going to lower bite, do what is necessary to get the back end stuck first, like increase toe, thinner diff oil, lower roll center, etc. I can't tell you how many people would break out of a race from getting loose in the sweeper and causing accidents.

The car doesn't need to be as fast as the track allows..... only faster than the others!
Our track is medium/high bite carpet, and the track we were going to was going to be a brand new layout, but would pick up traction quickly. Went without any setup changes to start, and the car pushed a little. Stiffened the rear springs 2 sets, laid down the front shocks 1 hole, car felt good. Saturday rolled around, the car started rotating better, and went into the first qualifier seeded 14th (out of 58). Moved up to 12th in the first qualifier and then changed rear tires going into the second qualifier. Turned out to be a nightmare, no rear traction and hooked violently. Reglued the tire I had an issue with and went out in the third qualifier, just as bad. Because it was so bad and abrubt, I was assuming something had broken. Replaced all the plastics, problem still there. Raised all my roll centers and it got slightly better. Dropped down to 22nd by the end of Saturday. Sunday morning, decided to lay down my rear shocks all the way, just to see. Car was much better if I was in the grove, and completely awful outside of it. Last chance qualifier it was better, but did not improve my time. Went into the C-Main in 2nd place. Softed the rear sway bar, softened the rear springs, tweaked the droop a little and hoped for the best. Went out in the main, and car hooked up excellent. Raced 1st/2nd for the first few minutes till the then 1st place car hit the wall and broke. Maintained the lead for the rest, 2nd place about 5 seconds back and third place a lap down. Top half finish which was my goal, though I feel after running that I had a B-Main car, just could not put together the qualifiers to show it.

Excited to get back to the track and work on some of the new things everyone here is doing and try and get a little more corner speed out of the car.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
just thought I'd share some pics of some parts I'm gonna test out this weekend...

Top deck is a standard 2mm carbon, cut to the same shape as flexie version, but with a more forward flex point, similar in position to other cars out there (i.e. above the steering posts!)

Second pic is my prototype centre servo mount. It's a bit rough round the edges, and a bit too thick in places (even though it's only 5-6g)... can be better! Gonna need to drill an extra hole in the chassis too!

Excuse the crappy iPhone pics though!

Regards
Ed
Hi Ed,

Can I ask what you servo mount start life as or have you made it from scratch?

Cheers

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.