Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone know if the original shocks would be considered "emulsion" type shocks?

FYI, I have run the plastic Xray diff gears (10 tooth) in the Serpent gear diff without issues as well, although the Exceed gears feel a little better.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Anyone know if the original shocks would be considered "emulsion" type shocks?

FYI, I have run the plastic Xray diff gears (10 tooth) in the Serpent gear diff without issues as well, although the Exceed gears feel a little better.
I don't think so mr wishbone. Emulsion would suggest that air is allowed to mix with the shock oil wouldn't you say?

Btw: where's Mr. Crisp these days?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by pcar951
I don't think so mr wishbone. Emulsion would suggest that air is allowed to mix with the shock oil wouldn't you say?

Hi Jim, I know nothing of emulsion type shocks, but thinking of the TC5 type shock that used the cartridge, I thought this was similar to the serpent older shock, although, I have no idea how the air gets into the TC5 shock to create the emulsifaction? If you know please enlighten me.

Last word from Martin was that he had taken on a big work project that was taking him away from RC for quite some time.

BTW are you doing the IIC this year?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just do what I did, replace the shocks with TRF's and change out the blue caps to the exotech gun metals and be done with them
Old 09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Jim, I know nothing of emulsion type shocks, but thinking of the TC5 type shock that used the cartridge, I thought this was similar to the serpent older shock, although, I have no idea how the air gets into the TC5 shock to create the emulsifaction? If you know please enlighten me.

After reading the Associated build info on the B44 shocks, I see that it has nothing to do with the cartridge design, my bad.

Last word from Martin was that he had taken on a big work project that was taking him away from RC for quite some time.

Thanks
Originally Posted by dawgmeat
Just do what I did, replace the shocks with TRF's and change out the blue caps to the exotech gun metals and be done with them

Thats just it, always looking for that killer shock setup, so maybe there is something better than the TRF's too, although I see that they where playing around with emulsion shocks on their cars as well...............always looking
Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Thats just it, always looking for that killer shock setup, so maybe there is something better than the TRF's too, although I see that they where playing around with emulsion shocks on their cars as well...............always looking
I'm happy with TRF shocks on mine..... Using the blue mounts for them pushes the shock a couple millimeters further from the arm and tower than stock, but it hasn't affected anything.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Maybe we will all be running these.

AME T-SHOX
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-t-shox.jpg  
Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cwoods34
I'm happy with TRF shocks on mine..... Using the blue mounts for them pushes the shock a couple millimeters further from the arm and tower than stock, but it hasn't affected anything.
I always run my cars with a 1mm spacer behind the shock, top and bottom, so I would think what your describing would be perfect.

Its not the shock design issue as much as a certain feel that I'm looking for on the shock, so even though TRF has a nice shock and I believe with the nylon pistons the RCM (or the RCXX) shock can be made just as smooth, its the actual dampening and rebound feel that I'm looking for. So I'm starting to look at other alternatives, one being, emulsion type shocks, don't know much about them, but perhaps worth looking at. I dunno?

Did you get a chance to test out your servo mount yet? My version of the low mount is hanging on pretty well so far. We had a track change on Weds that I didn't make it out to, but raced on Sunday, so needless to say, I put it through some pretty high stress tests, without failure. LOL
Old 09-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rdlkgliders
Maybe we will all be running these.

AME T-SHOX

I looked at those as well, interesting design, the only advantage I see with them is the support at the top and bottom so there is very little rod deflection during the extreme stroke of the shock. I think those would be a good application if one where getting into some very heavy shock oil setups, where the drag force of the piston begins to put uneven pressure on the shaft, or different sized holes in the same piston.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I always run my cars with a 1mm spacer behind the shock, top and bottom, so I would think what your describing would be perfect.

Its not the shock design issue as much as a certain feel that I'm looking for on the shock, so even though TRF has a nice shock and I believe with the nylon pistons the RCM (or the RCXX) shock can be made just as smooth, its the actual dampening and rebound feel that I'm looking for. So I'm starting to look at other alternatives, one being, emulsion type shocks, don't know much about them, but perhaps worth looking at. I dunno?

Did you get a chance to test out your servo mount yet? My version of the low mount is hanging on pretty well so far. We had a track change on Weds that I didn't make it out to, but raced on Sunday, so needless to say, I put it through some pretty high stress tests, without failure. LOL
Yeah, it felt pretty good. Even with some barrier/traffic bumps the steering stayed exactly where I set it. I didn't get a lot of track time, but I hope to burn up some packs this Friday.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:06 PM
Tech Adept

You can create an emulsion type shock simply by cutting the bladder on the rcm shocks(retaining just the outer ring, much like an oring). And using shock tops with no hole drilled. The cavity in the top should contain some air as you bleed the shock, and will mix once the shock is pumped a few times. In offroad this is preferred on smoother tracks, where bump damping isn't as much a concern. In my experience, the rebound will be a bit slower. Just be sure to bleed fully, as hydro-lock is possible with too much oil.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Thanks
Gary no IIC for me this year, way too much happening at work these days. Only got 4 days off for summer vaction this year...bummer!
Old 09-17-2012, 08:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jsorwell
You can create an emulsion type shock simply by cutting the bladder on the rcm shocks(retaining just the outer ring, much like an oring). And using shock tops with no hole drilled. The cavity in the top should contain some air as you bleed the shock, and will mix once the shock is pumped a few times. In offroad this is preferred on smoother tracks, where bump damping isn't as much a concern. In my experience, the rebound will be a bit slower. Just be sure to bleed fully, as hydro-lock is possible with too much oil.
Awesome, thanks, I see more testing in the future. I'm guessing the Associated guys went to the TC5 shock because the top cap has the bleed screw option, which would make the process a little easier.

Gary no IIC for me this year, way too much happening at work these days. Only got 4 days off for summer vaction this year...bummer!
That's all I've managed to take off this year as well......makes for a long summer, if not IIC maybe the Birds.........
Old 09-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Gary,

Can you share your current carpet setup for your S411? Are you running the v2 motor mount and 2.5mm chassis, as well have you upgraded the diffs and shocks too?

Have you got the car where you want it and consistent? I remember some of the struggles we where having at the Regina leg of WCICS last year.

Warren
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

He's gone back to racing 1:1 cars as well as a new work project has taken him out of RC for a while. He'll be back.... they always come back - LOL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.