Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 08-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
So it seems everyone has gone crazy with coming up with mods to secure the steering servo from the top rather than the chassis. I think we have a pretty good system right now, but do a couple of mods to it, that I think add to the car.

First, I still hack stuff pretty well, so I still use a servo saver, but, to get the clearence for the saver I take a drum sander and notch the servo mount so the servo saver sits in a hollowed out part of the mount. I'll take this down so that at its thinnest point it is one layer of laminent, similar to the thickness of the motor depression on the chassis.

The other thing I do, is eliminate the button head screw on the outer portion of the servo mount. This one I actually counter sink so that you can use a cs screw, which moves it up considerably and pretty much eliminates any chance of touching surface on hard roll situations. Just be carefull when doing this as there isn't much material to work with there and you can easily burn thru it and mess up the mount. I use a old well worn dremel grinding stone that is very close to the proper pitch of the screw head.
You have photos send for me - [email protected]
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Diff Leak

Use some AE green grease on the o-rings when you assemble it, that usually helps with leak problems. The rest is "as per" the instructions.
Johnny,
I supose you are talking about the Outdrives small o-ring, arent you ?
I don't thing the problem is there.

It's seam like the big o-ring is the problem. For some reason this o-ring is not sealing well enough even when thread the screws.

There are some more guys having the same issue here in our local track.
Its not so simple to fix.

Need more tips...

Thank you

CC
Old 08-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cestaric
Johnny,
I supose you are talking about the Outdrives small o-ring, arent you ?
I don't thing the problem is there.

It's seam like the big o-ring is the problem. For some reason this o-ring is not sealing well enough even when thread the screws.

There are some more guys having the same issue here in our local track.
Its not so simple to fix.

Need more tips...

Thank you

CC
I do the green grease on the big o ring as well.

If I remember correctly there was a bad batch of diff housings, but don't remember the exact details about them though as I never ran into that problem.

Which kits did these diffs come in or are you all on the TE cars?
Old 08-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Pickthall
You have photos send for me - [email protected]
If I get some pics I'll post them hear, but me and a camera just don't work well togeather, lol.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I do the green grease on the big o ring as well.

If I remember correctly there was a bad batch of diff housings, but don't remember the exact details about them though as I never ran into that problem.

Which kits did these diffs come in or are you all on the TE cars?
I have 3 diffs all from the original kits.... even after numerous rebuilds and using as light as 650cst oil, I have yet to see a leak issue. This includes the fact that I haven't changed the o-rings, either.

The most important thing is using a properly-sized screwdriver and FULLY tighten the screws in an alternating pattern.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by cwoods34
I have 3 diffs all from the original kits.... even after numerous rebuilds and using as light as 650cst oil, I have yet to see a leak issue. This includes the fact that I haven't changed the o-rings, either.

The most important thing is using a properly-sized screwdriver and FULLY tighten the screws in an alternating pattern.
Also some times people just put too much oil in the diff. So the pressure in the housing may cause a little leakage.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Geberit
Also some times people just put too much oil in the diff. So the pressure in the housing may cause a little leakage.
when building the diff make sure you drill the closed end of the screw hole so that trapped oil can get out.

when building the diff make sure you sand the flat sides so that they fit flush to each other. I noticed some had mold flashes that causes leaks and wobbly movement.

do not overfill your diff.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toughbeard
when building the diff make sure you drill the closed end of the screw hole so that trapped oil can get out.
?? please explain, not something shown in the stock diff instructions. I've only seen a extra hole in the Exceede diffs, is that the same hole you're talking about? Thanks
Old 08-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Well..... Cutting out something now. May not have it done till tomorrow, but right now doesn't bolt to the upper deck nor outside of the chassis, so it literally won't affect flex.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)
Default Springs?

Ok. I will try kit Setup. Which serpent springs work on carpet? I only have kit springs

Are sway bars used too?

Originally Posted by red7fifty
S411 SE, box stock, great starting point for carpet. Running dual gear diffs.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Tech Addict

?? please explain, not something shown in the stock diff instructions. I've only seen a extra hole in the Exceede diffs, is that the same hole you're talking about? Thanks
When you drill the screw hole all the way through the oil that gets in the screw hole can escape easily through the other side. If you have too much oil inthe screw hole you sometimes endup with hydrolic locking.

this causes you to think everything is snug but it is not as you are trying to tighten screw over the compressed oil and you diff stays loose and you leak oil.

properly built diff will only loose oil through the o rings around the outdrives after sometime as the o rings start to wear and the mechanical motion carries some oil out.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

ı forgot to mention, there is a tech tip out actually on the subject already. justunder a differnt car

http://serpent.com/product/804005/tech-tips/
Old 08-30-2012, 12:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi.

About leaking diffs. and the big O-ring.

All new batch of diffs. are delivered with a new big O-ring. The new O-ring is made of silicone (same material as the x-ring in the diffs.) and is slightly bigger in the material than the old black one. I have no leaking at all with the new O-ring. Soon you can order the new O-ring as a spare part. Serpent told me, that they should be available this week. I don't know the order no. yet.

With the old black O-ring you can use Asso greenslime to prevent leaking as some other mentioned. It really helps. Also be sure to tighten the screws even not to flex the diff. cups.

When I assemble the diff. i sand all gears on the backside. Especially the two big metal gears, as I want to have slightly less pressure on the x-ring to let the outdrives run smoother. Then I use Tamiya blue damper grease on the x-ring, but you can also use Asso greenslime. As I wrote above, I have no problems with leaking.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BCDK
Hi.

About leaking diffs. and the big O-ring.

All new batch of diffs. are delivered with a new big O-ring. The new O-ring is made of silicone (same material as the x-ring in the diffs.) and is slightly bigger in the material than the old black one. I have no leaking at all with the new O-ring. Soon you can order the new O-ring as a spare part. Serpent told me, that they should be available this week. I don't know the order no. yet.

With the old black O-ring you can use Asso greenslime to prevent leaking as some other mentioned. It really helps. Also be sure to tighten the screws even not to flex the diff. cups.

When I assemble the diff. i sand all gears on the backside. Especially the two big metal gears, as I want to have slightly less pressure on the x-ring to let the outdrives run smoother. Then I use Tamiya blue damper grease on the x-ring, but you can also use Asso greenslime. As I wrote above, I have no problems with leaking.
The order number will be 804200 which are the old black diff case orings. There has been a running change made on material so the old black ones will be transparent and apperantly just a little bigger on diameter.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TJames987
Ok. I will try kit Setup. Which serpent springs work on carpet? I only have kit springs

Are sway bars used too?
The older kits come with orange/yellow.... I can't remember for the TE, but orange/yellow is too stiff in my opinion. My favorite Serpent spring combinations have been grays (14.8) front and rear, OR gray front and white (13.0) rear.

Black (16.0) front and grey rear is a good combo, too, but I typically like the car to be really smooth.

As for swaybars..... 1.2 rear/1.4 front is the default.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.