Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NUCRPTRACER
Okay I am also having issues with the diffs seeping and slinging oil?
I have tried some silicone lube on all diff seals but doesn't seem to help..

Has anyone tried or done any testing with adding 2 additional small gears and another shaft in the diff? Just wandered as I picked one up used and that's what I found inside...

Any and all help is appreciated thanks to Martin and Johnny for all there help so far!!!!
It took me about 3 or 4 goes to rebuild the diff to stop it leaking. Have to be careful with those screws and make sure the large oring isnt twisted
Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

James Reilly did you run the gear diff at the slam race at the rug for more turn in or do you just prefer it over the spool? What shock oil were u running?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Marc and I looked shared setup info, but we both did our own thing. The main difference was in the springs and the diff oil. He ran yokomo springs and I ran serpent springs, but the springs felt very close given that I ran my rear shocks on the inner hole of the arm. I ended up using grey springs all around, while marc I think had yokomo pink and blue. His springs felt more linear while mine felt a little more progressive.

In terms of the diff oil, I ran 1000w and I think he ended up somewhere around 2000w.

oh yeah...he also ran 2.5 rear toe where I ran 3.0. I tried the 2.5, but with my diff oil being much lighter than his it gave the car too much off power steering.

I ran 5mm inboard spacers on the upper links. On the rear upper links I rn 4mm inboard and 3mm outboard. I think Marc ran about the same if not exactly that.

We both ran 0.5 mm spacers under the hinge pin blocks.

we both ran a spool.

Marc's car was traction rolling initially as he had the shocks layed down more than mine, but after he changed to using the 4 position in the rear and 3 in the front like mine, he stopped traction rolling.

With the exception of Alexander and Nayoto, we all ran 10.3 s laps as our fast laps in mod. Alexander and Nayato fast laps were 10.1. So it was good tight competition for positions 3 through 10 in the a main, determined by consistency instead of outright pace.

During the main, our opening lap was very clean until the last corner of the first lap where about 5 cars got together in a chain reaction. Unfortunately I got flipped by a car behind me and went to last place. I ended up 7th and marc ended up 4th.
Hi Martin,

was good to meet you and Marc at the 'birds. Thanks for all your help on the setup. Between yourself, Marc and Cory I had a great car to drive, now it's down to me to get better results next time

I ended up on a similar setup to, only real changes were 1300 cst gear oil and Xray 2.8/2.6 springs. To go from 10th B main and end up 3rd in Expert was a great result for me. Must admit though, I struggled with those Jaco tyres - maybe years of running Sorex has made me soft!

Thanks again,

Dave
Old 02-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by DeLaSoul
Hi Martin,

was good to meet you and Marc at the 'birds. Thanks for all your help on the setup. Between yourself, Marc and Cory I had a great car to drive, now it's down to me to get better results next time

I ended up on a similar setup to, only real changes were 1300 cst gear oil and Xray 2.8/2.6 springs. To go from 10th B main and end up 3rd in Expert was a great result for me. Must admit though, I struggled with those Jaco tyres - maybe years of running Sorex has made me soft!

Thanks again,

Dave
Hey Dave...I hope your trip back to the UK was smooth. Great to meet you. Yeah...we run those tires a lot in Canada, so I was familiar with them. They are typically about 2 to 3 tenths slower than sorex 28 on any given track, but the jaco blues stay very consistent. I like these tires for big races where the track has lots of grip, as they don't tend to make the car traction roll like a sorex 28 would on a high grip track.

Cheers
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Guys these Diffs are driving me crazy!! I can't stop the leak and I'm sure it's something I'm doing..
Old 02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

im sure you may have checked it already but the small black o-ring make sure you do not roll it on as this will cause it to have flat spot and when your tightening it up push it down square and tighten all screws same tension.every time i pull mine apart i use a new o-ring. I have only had one issue with leaking diffs and it was when i re-used a o-ring
Old 02-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys these Diffs are driving me crazy!! I can't stop the leak and I'm sure it's something I'm doing..
When I build the diffs, I use Associated green slime, on the o-ring gasket, just a small coating all the way around. I also slime the o-rings for the out drives.

You didn't do anything like trimming the the o-rings to eliminate drag or anything like that?

My diffs are dry and I don't even use the big shim washers.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default AND

I ASSUME THE LARGE ORING ISNT DIRTY OR HAS A PIECE OF DIRT KEEPING IT FROM SEALING? MAYBE THE DIFF CASE HAS A BUR ON IT? I BUILT MINE SEVERAL TIMES AND USED THE ORIGINAL SEALS AND HAVE NO LEAKS.

WHERE IS IT LEAKING FROM? THE OUTDRIVE OR AROUND THE SEAM?

IF YOU OVER FILL IT, AND BOLT IT TOGETHER IT MAY BUILD PRESSURE AND WHAT YOUR SEEING IS TOO MUCH OIL LEAKING OUT. I HAVE DONE THAT BY ACCIDENT ON MY 8TH SCALE.

REBUILD IT, CHECK THE SEALS AND CASE, AND ONLY FILL IT TO JUST UNDER THE TOP OF THE SMALL SATELLITE GEARS. I RUN MY DIFF WITH VERY LITTLE OIL. (ABOUT 12 DROPS, JUST ENOUGH TO KEEP IT LUBED) ITS IS SMOOTHER AND FREE-ER THAN A BALL DIFF.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BAD007SUZUKI
I ASSUME THE LARGE ORING ISNT DIRTY OR HAS A PIECE OF DIRT KEEPING IT FROM SEALING? MAYBE THE DIFF CASE HAS A BUR ON IT? I BUILT MINE SEVERAL TIMES AND USED THE ORIGINAL SEALS AND HAVE NO LEAKS.

WHERE IS IT LEAKING FROM? THE OUTDRIVE OR AROUND THE SEAM?

IF YOU OVER FILL IT, AND BOLT IT TOGETHER IT MAY BUILD PRESSURE AND WHAT YOUR SEEING IS TOO MUCH OIL LEAKING OUT. I HAVE DONE THAT BY ACCIDENT ON MY 8TH SCALE.

REBUILD IT, CHECK THE SEALS AND CASE, AND ONLY FILL IT TO JUST UNDER THE TOP OF THE SMALL SATELLITE GEARS. I RUN MY DIFF WITH VERY LITTLE OIL. (ABOUT 12 DROPS, JUST ENOUGH TO KEEP IT LUBED) ITS IS SMOOTHER AND FREE-ER THAN A BALL DIFF.

I think it's around the big seal... I've checked for twists and debris...I filled it to just almost covering the shaft of the small gears I take it that's to much??
Old 02-08-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default NO

THAT LEVEL OF OIL SHOULDNT CAUSE ANY ISSUES. THAT AMOUNT IS FINE. DO YOU BY CHANCE HAVE AN EXTRA DIFF HOUSING TO TRY? I THINK AMAIN HAS THEM FOR LESS THAN 10$. THE ONLY OTHER THING I'D TRY IS A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF GASKET SEALANT AROUND THE SEAM. I'D PUT IT OVER THE ORING.

I ALSO ASSUME THAT YOU ARE USING THE ORING THAT WAS SUPPLIED WITH THE KIT? ITS REALLY THIN DIAMETER AND ABOUT AN INCH AND A HALF AROUND. IF NOT, THEN THATS THE ISSUE.

ITS SHOWN IN THIS PICTURE: http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Differential

I think it's around the big seal... I've checked for twists and debris...I filled it to just almost covering the shaft of the small gears I take it that's to much??
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
If you want more stability I would get rid of the kick-up and the anti-squat. Also I would use a moderately thick oil in the rear diff...something between 1000 and 1500.
Hi Martin,

ThX for your help !

How many gear do you have in your diff ?

And do you think that the 2.5mm chassis, will be more stable on carpet than the 2.25 ?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

maybe its time to try a new diff housing if you can not stop the leak maybe the moulding its self maybe the problem
Old 02-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Evening gentlemen,
I have my 411 on the way and wanted to know if someone could point me to the best thread for setup for asphault. Meaning best tires to run diff and shock setup etc..also what's the best motor and esc to run. Thanks in advance

Last edited by DanielD; 02-08-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Try this:
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...rpentS411.html
The top setup by w.y hundle is pretty close to what I tried today. The guys on here helped a lot with tips and setup.
I just ran my first practice and was pretty happy . I did tear up an 87 tooth spur, the clearance on the bottom side is very minimal. I don't know if caught a rock in it or what.
I switched to a 84t xray and raised my ride height a tad.
Maybe a piece of tape over the chassis to protect the spur ?
I can already tell that the car seems to finish the corner better than my xray, off power steering was a little less than I expected but setup tweeks should fix that. I setup my end points to max out steering over 100% pretty much to max the car can handle. It felt good, more testing will tell I really like a lot of steering.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the tips guys.. My new diffs seem fine.. Ordered a few new housings and gaskets..again thanks for all the help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.