Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi everyone,

I've just bought a second hand s411. It's my first TE. My s411 came with a 48p spur, as I'm going to run 10.5T blinky as I'm going to change to 64pwhat spurs can I use? I have some kawadas, but they don't work. Will the Xray ones work? and the K factory ones?

Regards
Old 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jimjav
Hi everyone,

I've just bought a second hand s411. It's my first TE. My s411 came with a 48p spur, as I'm going to run 10.5T blinky as I'm going to change to 64pwhat spurs can I use? I have some kawadas, but they don't work. Will the Xray ones work? and the K factory ones?

Regards
The Xrays will work. I think the biggest you can go is the 110, but it will be a tight fit, 96 to 104 work very well. I don't think the kawadas will work and not familiar with the K factory ones, sorry.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was thinking about moving around 100-104

So many thanks
Old 12-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Has anyone tried narrow hexes in the rear ? I know they were in the works, but do we know if they were released yet ? I made my own from some Tamiya hexes.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JamesReilly
I'm sorry but expecting a delrin part to hold up to the torque reversals that the outdrive goes thru is impossible. Even the Xray delrin ones break and they offer aluminum outdrives to stop the breakages, you however have to replace blades all the time. So there is no perfect answer.
I had Xray and no problem there, but serpent's break too easy compare to Xray's. I hope serpent's have same strength xray's. :-(
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Went out today to try new setup and it was better than it used to until my car looked like it belonged to Cheech and Chong. Totally smoked up all the window with a definitive smell. Not sure what happened but my ESC went up in smoke. Thank goodness it wasn't a lipo fire !
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Jim I thought I had this issue fixed a couple times now but the rack still seems to move every once in a while. Even after locktite the bearings they seem to work their way loose. I think Serpent should re-do the rack with a shoulder in the lower pocket for the bearing to rest on and then use a flanged bearing on the top, but since that isn't happening, here is what I did.

The spare washers that come with the Xray car for the shock build, the real thin ones that are big diameter, just slightly bigger than the bearing diameter of the steering rack bearing, I use those with a brushed motor shim washer. So its the screw, the big washer, the shim washer, and then thru the bearing. Use some blue locktite on the screw, this will prevent the rack from moving up and the lower arms should keep it from falling down. Its not perfect but it works.

Oh and I did some back to back testing of the 2.25 versus the 2.50 chassis and "Numb" is the perfect description and also the 2.50 seems to plant the car a little better, no appreciable time differences between the two. If anything the 2.5 felt a little more predictable on turn in on high speed corner.

I also took a straight edge to the 2 chassis I have, and although the 2.50 is flat, much to my dismay my 2.25 chassis seems to be wavy making it very difficult to set consistent ride height. Its about 0.04mm out in places.
Thanks for the tip on the steering rack issue Gary, seems like a good fix for now. Does the rack typically only move upward or will it also drop and cause binding?

I'll be putting a straight edge on my 2.25 chassis' tonight!
Old 12-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I also took a straight edge to the 2 chassis I have, and although the 2.50 is flat, much to my dismay my 2.25 chassis seems to be wavy making it very difficult to set consistent ride height. Its about 0.04mm out in places.
Welcome too The Club mine 2.25 is also tweaked right out of the box ;/
Old 12-29-2011, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

My Le kit is tweak free until I put on the sway bars.

The spare washers that come with the Xray car for the shock build, the real thin ones that are big diameter,
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...%20%20%2810%29

Are these the washers you mean?

Last edited by Benzaah; 12-30-2011 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Benzaah

0,04mm???? That's awful! No way you could drive that
Old 12-30-2011, 01:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xtaiji
I had Xray and no problem there, but serpent's break too easy compare to Xray's. I hope serpent's have same strength xray's. :-(
The Serpent delron outdrives put too much pressure on the end tips making it really easy to break. I started to think about how I didn't like those, and how I'd rather have a pin cushion instead, but then I remembered how bad my car ran when the pin cushion broke and how the car would pull to one side. So now I think I'd rather run the stock deal and if its broke its really broke.

Originally Posted by pcar951
Thanks for the tip on the steering rack issue Gary, seems like a good fix for now. Does the rack typically only move upward or will it also drop and cause binding?

I'll be putting a straight edge on my 2.25 chassis' tonight!
From everything I've seen, the rack keeps coming up. The only time its dropped is during a right turn where the servo link is pushing downwards on the rack, the arms seem to keep it from dropping down and causing any bind.

Originally Posted by MarcusEngdahl
Welcome too The Club mine 2.25 is also tweaked right out of the box ;/
I could get the tweak set, but getting ride height was tough. it was like I had rake build into the car, where the back was higher than the rest of the car. The surface is more like a wave than a twist, with high and low spots thru the length of the chassis.

Originally Posted by Benzaah

Yes those are the ones. They usually send extras to assemble the ball ends into the rod and shock ends with the Xray shocks.

Originally Posted by Julius
0,04mm???? That's awful! No way you could drive that
Oh thats just one of many contributing factors for my less than stellar performance. LOL
Old 12-30-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

I could get the tweak set, but getting ride height was tough. it was like I had rake build into the car, where the back was higher than the rest of the car. The surface is more like a wave than a twist, with high and low spots thru the length of the chassis.
LOL
Yes , a tweaked chassi
Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

I ended up with LE #198. Time to get started on it. Looks great.

Steve
Old 12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I will soon join most of you as a S411 owner. Due to the lack of parts availability at our local track and LHS can anyone enlighten me on what parts are most common to break so I can carry these with me?
Old 12-31-2011, 12:26 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Do the hard suspension arms improve the overall consistency of the S411? The car isn't lose but it is inconsistent corner to corner with the kit suspension parts, it seems.

Just wondering if the stiffer arms would help as much as they do on other chassis...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.