Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kensei
Maybe you overlooked this one, so therefore a reply as a quote.

How long run the geardiff with toothpaste?

- must that be done both ways, or is that not important?
- can one in some way feel if it is run in properly? For instance by turning it with both hands and feel how the mechanism inside moves, or so?
i used turtle wax rubbing compound for 2 mins each way...but it was not enough to smooth things out.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default first setup for the S411 - High grip carpet

Keep in mind that this was only my first day with the car, but I was very happy with this setup. My lap times (10.2 to 10.4) at my local (well 2 hours away) high grip carpet track were the same as what I would get on this layout with my xray. I only worked on changes to the spring rates, shock oils, roll center and rear diff oils, and left everything else the same. Also I don't have the ECS drives and the flex upper deck yet, which I think will help gain some more speed and consistency. The layout of the track is a great combination of tight corners, low and high speed chicanes and hard braking zones, so it was a good test for the car.

Having said that, the car felt incredibly smooth and easy to drive. I tried some higher roll center settings with softer (white) springs, and although the car had more lateral grip, it was a little harder to drive consistently, as it tends to be with most cars.

Also, as I got use to the car, and hit a lot of boards I tested out how strong this car is! I did not break any parts This surprised me given some of the hits it took.

Attached is my setup.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails Serpent S411-martin-serpent-s411-high-grip-carpet-setup.jpg  

Last edited by Martin Crisp; 12-25-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where
Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Martin Crisp
Keep in mind that this was only my first day with the car, but I was very happy with this setup. My lap times (10.2 to 10.4) at my local (well 2 hours away) high grip carpet track were the same as what I would get on this layout with my xray. I only worked on changes to the spring rates, shock oils, roll center and rear diff oils, and left everything else the same. Also I don't have the ECS drives and the flex upper deck yet, which I think will help gain some more speed and consistency. The layout of the track is a great combination of tight corners, low and high speed chicanes and hard braking zones, so it was a good test for the car.

Having said that, the car felt incredibly smooth and easy to drive. I tried some higher roll center settings with softer (white) springs, and although the car had more lateral grip, it was a little harder to drive consistently, as it tends to be with most cars.

Also, as I got use to the car, and hit a lot of boards I tested out how strong this car is! I did not break any parts This surprised me given some of the hits it took.

Attached is my setup.

Cheers.
attachment did not work.. but glad you are liking the new ride... white springs did not work for me either.. jeremy
Old 12-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Although I kinda hate to screw with this great setup (Jeremy's), I got all my hard plastics, 2.25 chassis, one piece motor mounts, ready to update my cars. Are you all running hard arms on the front only? And what about the one piece mount?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by J.Whiting
attachment did not work.. but glad you are liking the new ride... white springs did not work for me either.. jeremy
yeah...the pdf file was too big to upload, so I created a jpg file and uploaded it
Old 12-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Location: a very small town in wisconsin that is in the middle of absolutely no where

Originally Posted by pcar951
Although I kinda hate to screw with this great setup (Jeremy's), I got all my hard plastics, 2.25 chassis, one piece motor mounts, ready to update my cars. Are you all running hard arms on the front only? And what about the one piece mount?
i run all hard plastics.. the 2.25 chassis but not the one piece motor mount.. that will be on my next order i make.. so the setup will not change much.. as for how the motor mount will affect it that is yet to be determined.. give it a go and report back as i would like to know the change also..

yeah...the pdf file was too big to upload, so I created a jpg file and uploaded it
same here.. i hate the small files on rctech.. i have asked to let them be bigger for setup sheets but have been turned down every time.. jeremy
Old 12-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Tech Regular

Attached is my setup.

Cheers.

Alarmbells (not christmasbells) are ringing after looking af this setup.
1,391gr does this thing weigh? Jezus.
How am I gonna get to 1,350gr, which are the rules overhere.
Very disappointed on that part. Have to reconsider me buying this car.
Dragging around 41gr extra weight is not very appealing.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Tech Regular

i used turtle wax rubbing compound for 2 mins each way...but it was not enough to smooth things out.
And when using toothpaste?
Old 12-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

the car is not that heavy.. we need to be at 1380 for us here in the usa.. the car weighs around 1340.. that all depends on your electronics tho.. jeremy
Old 12-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

I added 14 grams myself, and since I run the ORCA MKII which is heavier than most esc out there. THey have a new one on the way that will be ligher, and they also have their spark esc which is much lighter than the MKII. Also, my xrays was the same weight as this car. Lastly the LE edition is about 15g lighter than the standard one. So you will have no issue getting to your 1350 weight with this car.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

And when using toothpaste?
I don't know...have not used toothpaste yet....this was advice given to me from someone else.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know...have not used toothpaste yet....this was advice given to me from someone else.
i remember using toothpaste to polish the armatures on brushed motors!!!! what i do is sand the back of the diff gears.. this will give a tade more spacing where they meet.. this is what i do on 1/8 scale diffs also.. i also beed blast/sand blast the gears on the diffs.. this makes for a very smooth surface.. i love being and auto tech.. you get to use alot of the big car stuff on this little stuff.. jeremy
Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

Attached is my setup.

Cheers.
First Martin , tnx for the nice App

What downstop settings did you use?

And did you take away any screws in topdeck? looks like that on the setup.

Best R
Marcus
Old 12-25-2011, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry for me asking again, but I never ever had a geardiff. Don't wanna mess things up.........

Did you leave it at that then?
If not, which follow up?
If you would have used it longer than 2 mins each way, would the result have been better than?
Or is the stuff simply not cut out to do the job properly?

It's the brown kinda thick stuff, isn't it?
Put it in the diff up untill the diffaxle, or how much?

Last edited by Kensei; 12-25-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MarcusEngdahl
First Martin , tnx for the nice App

What downstop settings did you use?

And did you take away any screws in topdeck? looks like that on the setup.

Best R
Marcus
Thanks for the comments about the app

I did not measure the droop using that approach. I measured droop above ride height. I do this by first measuring the ride height and then lift the car off the table sot that the tires are barely touching the surface and measure that ride height. The difference is the droop. I ran 2.5mm droop in the front and 3.0mm droop in the rear using this method.

As for the screws...I took out the 4 outer most screws and the one screw that screws into the motor mount.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.