R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #1036
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

im sure you wilb beable to get spare parts near where you live or if not RC Market have a heap of spares more than enough to cover you..i have not broken a thing only replaced parts ofr differant handling characteristics.
the car is great you will like it
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #1037
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachimG View Post
I have no problem at all, the car sits like its glued to the track!
The main secret is a smooth triggerfinger .
And as Jamison said, use correct tires! There is no way you
can find a good setup with poor tires and a happy triggerfinger.
i agree with what you say absolutly trigger finger plays a big part this one of the reasons why i love to race my F1 car it teaches you throttle control
Old 09-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #1038
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
I prefer to deal with the oil instead of placing additional gears. Going to 2000 in the rear worked wonders for me and of course, the Sorex 32R tires made a huge impact. I have found that the rear stays more planted with the use of thicker oil. Don''t go to high because it can get your car to push.
I think you are missjng out then. The standard gear diff with only 2 bevels has a strange feel to it completely differejt to a ball diff and very hard to drive. Once you go to 4 bevels its starts to behave more like a ball diff so you can run much lighter oil for better rotation bu still have drive to both rear wells under power. If they released an option gear diff with 6 bevels I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #1039
Tech Elite

now that would be interesting imagine 6 small gears in such a small housing, In gas racing a long time ago i used to use the 6 beval gears in the cntre diff it felt much better.

what oils are you running in your 4 beval diff ?
Old 09-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #1040
Tech Adept

thanks for the info.:
S411LE#63,eryx 2.0,kyosho ultima sc,B44.1,futaba.the short list. Ricky Bobby body club,member #4
atmeearacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:14 AM   #1041
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft View Post
now that would be interesting imagine 6 small gears in such a small housing, In gas racing a long time ago i used to use the 6 beval gears in the cntre diff it felt much better.

what oils are you running in your 4 beval diff ?
I vary it a bit depending on track conditions... Basiccaly anything between 500cst-2000cst. Heavier oil will reduce rotation but offers more rear end stability so you get less over steer on/off power. When you have the car working well just drop the oil weight for more rotation speed.

I did some more testing today and have a fairly balanced setup. Its slightly oversteery on/off power at full lock (full lock being 100% physical lock) so you have "extra" performance when you need it but is generally smooth and hooked up. I'll post it up later when I get home. One significant change today was using a 3.5 rear toe (only just got it) which squared the rear end up quite a lot.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #1042
Tech Elite

thats good to hear i have a 3.5 toe block coming aswell i was hoping it would be here by now along with my diff parts looks like im racing tomorrow with 2 major parts missing the main one been my diff greas to have 4 bevel diff.
i will be keen to see your set up i will post mine later once im happy with it to see how close they might be
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #1043
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
I think you are missjng out then. The standard gear diff with only 2 bevels has a strange feel to it completely differejt to a ball diff and very hard to drive. Once you go to 4 bevels its starts to behave more like a ball diff so you can run much lighter oil for better rotation bu still have drive to both rear wells under power. If they released an option gear diff with 6 bevels I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Well, I have tried the 4 bevels on a TOP Photon and personally didn't like it as much. What you say holds true but I'ts kind of hard to imagine why the OEM would want to include 2 gears instead of 4 if they knew it would be better. Does the Tamiya 415 comes with four bevel gears?
madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #1044
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi hi,

My first post on Serpent forum, nice to meet you all.

Got my car for 3 meeting races, love the car so much.

Just some comments and experiences on gear diff:

I found my car is stable enough with 2 bevels + Xray 2000cst + 4 shims. Car has been ran more than 60packs and still going strong, for people who is still struggling with the rear grip on exit, I strongly recommend to start with the 411- basis - outdoor - D setup.

4 bevel gears would give better consistent feeling on the diff as I have found on my old 3racing Sakura, but with our metal gears diff it is a bit heavy compare to other brands. Hope some aftermarket brands will make some composite plastic gears in the future.

I also found running spool will give un-settle feeling during full lock turns (hairpin exit or slow/tight turns), especially on low to mid grip tracks, in most cases this could be fix by running front diff + heavy oil instead of spool, this will smooth out the exit but lose some corner speed on fast sweeper. One of my friend also run the serpent with the same setup as mine, but he is using front diff with kyosho 500000cst and I am still using Spool. test drove his car and feel easier to drive especially more trust on hairpin corners, but found spool still to be faster on my track.

Now my question:

Has anyone tested with standard 2 pieces motor mount and no middle screw on the top deck? Does the spur gear really strip? How does the handling feel after unscrew it?
DanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #1045
Tech Adept

xceed make some light weight gears but they cost around 40 us$
Nosram Comet HD ESC.
Nosram Pure 2 evolution Motor.
StevenOlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:29 PM   #1046
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDan View Post

Has anyone tested with standard 2 pieces motor mount and no middle screw on the top deck? Does the spur gear really strip? How does the handling feel after unscrew it?
My question as well. Anyone?
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #1047
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Well, I have tried the 4 bevels on a TOP Photon and personally didn't like it as much. What you say holds true but I'ts kind of hard to imagine why the OEM would want to include 2 gears instead of 4 if they knew it would be better. Does the Tamiya 415 comes with four bevel gears?
hi most of the other cars have 4 beval geras the new x-ray diffs have 4 and all the spc r also have 4 aswell but they re all plastic with plastic lasy shafts and beval gears.
serpent is the only one i know of to make the metal gear i guess going from 2-4 beval gears really is just a tuning option
Old 09-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #1048
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I miss running my car

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #1049
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I miss running my car
Well stop working too many weekends..
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:13 AM   #1050
Tech Elite

the gear diff revision kit whats the differance between this and the one in the kit ?