R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #841
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz187 View Post
Has anyone tried the new light weight / hard parts yet?
I just ordered myself a 411 and I'm looking at what spares to get.
Should I stick with the standard arms, hubs, blocks etc, or are the optional LW/ hard parts the go?
I've been told the stardard serpent plastic gets sloppy real quick!
I'd assume the hard parts would be a carbon mix & break easier on the other hand..

Any thoughts??
I will be tring them this weekend I'll let you know.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #842
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Can someone tell what the 1 piece motor mount(401451) is for? I was under the impression that it gave more flex. But on RC market it describes it as reducing flex. Would appreciate someone setting me straight. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:00 PM   #843
Tech Regular

Hi I have one fitted to my car but due to bad weather I have not tried it out yet,but I can tell you that when fitted 2 screws are not use.The top deck one and a chassis one.Now that the left side lay shaft bearing is now part of the motor bracket and not 2 piece then I think the flex that occurred between the old split mount and lay shaft will be replaced with the chassis flex more in the top deck,and the point where the screw is no longer used in the chassis.After fitting it,it still looks like you can add the front of the old motor mount and remove the small attachment part of the new mount and screw it together and make a mount that has the best of both.Hoped this helps you.
zoomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:54 PM   #844
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

depending on how much traction the track has or holds would depend on how many hard parts one would put on.
correct me if wrong but wouldnt hard parts take traction away ?
i have all the option parts but at the moment am very happy with car what i will be doing is most probably put hard arms on and see how that goes but i run 2mm chassi and and 2mm top brace
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #845
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by azz187 View Post
Has anyone tried the new light weight / hard parts yet?
I just ordered myself a 411 and I'm looking at what spares to get.
Should I stick with the standard arms, hubs, blocks etc, or are the optional LW/ hard parts the go?
I've been told the stardard serpent plastic gets sloppy real quick!
I'd assume the hard parts would be a carbon mix & break easier on the other hand..

Any thoughts??
I ran the 'hard' wishbones front and rear on my car last weekend. I felt that the car had a small amount more grip and a slightly more responsive feeling. It wasn't a massive difference though and to be honest my lap times seemed relatively unaffected. Having said that, the 'hard' wishbones aren't quite as hard as we'd hoped - they are comparable to a Schumacher 'medium', and those boys are all running their 'hard' wishbones in the UK. So I guess we need tome xtra-hard ones from Serpent!

With regard to wear on plastic components - I've done half a dozen meetings with my car now (modified class) and I can't say I've noticed any excessive wear on anything. A bit of slop has developed on the front end between the c-hubs and steering blocks, but it's nothing that can't be shimmed out if you find it to be of concern.

I'm afraid I can't help with a carpet setup as I've only run my S411 on asphalt so far. That will probably change in 2-3 months once the indoor season starts here though.

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #846
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft View Post
depending on how much traction the track has or holds would depend on how many hard parts one would put on.
correct me if wrong but wouldnt hard parts take traction away ?
i have all the option parts but at the moment am very happy with car what i will be doing is most probably put hard arms on and see how that goes but i run 2mm chassi and and 2mm top brace
Yes you are correct about hard arms taking away traction, but on some carpet tracks that is what you need to do. The first local test with the car in kit form had way to much traction in the front. I like a car that pushes a little, like they say loose is fast. This weekend I will have the car on the track for the first time and I will be trying different set-ups, I am one that dose'nt believe in using parts from other car's to make a car go faster. Whitch means I will be using all Serpent parts. I will let everyone know what I find out next week.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #847
Tech Elite

when you guys are putting the hard arms is it back and front ? Or just at one end i can certainly understand why they may used i find the car has lots off steering
Old 08-13-2011, 01:48 AM   #848
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Bigger Brother

I'm at the EFRA Touring Car Euros and have been speaking to new Serpent signing Marc Fischer about the car.

He's running the harder wishbones on his car but aside from that it all appear to be stock. Clearly the car's running very well despite it only being his second outing with it, he's sitting in the top 5 after 2 rounds of qualifying.

If you ask me really nicely, I'll get some pictures up on www.EFRA.ws
Old 08-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #849
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Brother View Post
I'm at the EFRA Touring Car Euros and have been speaking to new Serpent signing Marc Fischer about the car.

He's running the harder wishbones on his car but aside from that it all appear to be stock. Clearly the car's running very well despite it only being his second outing with it, he's sitting in the top 5 after 2 rounds of qualifying.

If you ask me really nicely, I'll get some pictures up on www.EFRA.ws
Please, Please, Please

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:15 AM   #850
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Bigger Brother

Pics of Marc's car now at www.EFRA.ws in the Qualifying Round 3 update. He's looking quick still!

I found out from him that he's using a prototype chassis too on the car, same layout and cut outs but 2.25mm thick
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 AM   #851
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomster View Post
Hi I have one fitted to my car but due to bad weather I have not tried it out yet,but I can tell you that when fitted 2 screws are not use.The top deck one and a chassis one.Now that the left side lay shaft bearing is now part of the motor bracket and not 2 piece then I think the flex that occurred between the old split mount and lay shaft will be replaced with the chassis flex more in the top deck,and the point where the screw is no longer used in the chassis.After fitting it,it still looks like you can add the front of the old motor mount and remove the small attachment part of the new mount and screw it together and make a mount that has the best of both.Hoped this helps you.
Thanks for the reply. but I think I'm an idiot because I didn't quite understand what you were saying. All I want to know is, was it designed to give more flex or take it away?
Old 08-13-2011, 06:42 AM   #852
Tech Elite

the one peice mount will reduce the amount of chassi flex and maybe in some situations take traction away..

could be a good thing on carpet high traction
Old 08-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #853
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcscoot2539 View Post
Yes you are correct about hard arms taking away traction
Funny that, as the consensus in the UK seems to be that harder wishbones offer more grip. Although my definition of 'grip' is different to my definition of 'traction'. We tend to run on medium to low grip asphalt tracks in the UK, and all the top guys use the hardest wishbones they can lay their hands on...

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #854
Tech Elite

i have a good idea now how the cra feels with the standard kit stuff on it and i actually really like where its at i have made minor changes, i will be putting on the hard arms and give it a shot on tuesday night on carpet.
i have mainly been using it on asphalt surface
Old 08-13-2011, 10:29 PM   #855
Tech Champion

From my experience with hard/soft suspension/chassis parts is the following....

Harder = more potential to be fast / narrow tuning window

Softer = easy to drive / wide tuning window

I believe the reason you see flex used so much these days by top drivers is they can consistently drive the wheels of the car lap after lap. If the chassis uses harder parts, they go faster but struggle to do fast run pace due to more errors. If you read enough comments about top drivers and setup changes you will often read "it wasn't quite as fast but more consistent over 5 mins".

I suggest harder chassis components "IF" you have found a limit to what you can achieve with your car through setup and driving and it is easy to drive. Going harder with a bad car will only make you struggle.

On another note: Are the optional belts available yet? Mine are looking pretty bad already and I don't want to put the same crappy belts on again.