R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #766
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
while I was at the nats my buddy scooby and acouple of other guys let me feel there diff and you could spinn one wheel in the rear and it would just role on. I do know that you need a little play in the steering but I think my is more than normal.
nope mine has plenty of slop. So did my 417. That should tell ya something. Diff will break in. They are way better than those spec r diffs. I used spec r in my 417 and you could spin one tire and the other would keep going( plastic gears). In the end, my serpent feels way faster and WAY easier to drive.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #767
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamison R View Post
dear 8lb 6oz lord baby jesus, I would like to thank you

That was such a good line!
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #768
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
while I was at the nats my buddy scooby and acouple of other guys let me feel there diff and you could spinn one wheel in the rear and it would just role on. I do know that you need a little play in the steering but I think my is more than normal.
That is more of a driveline desire than a gear diff thing. I know that some plastic gear diff guys have had to buy replacement gears because of them wearing out or because they sanded to far. Our gear diffs are more along the line of long lasting durable units. A spinning gear diff like what your describing should not help the car at all compared to what our diffs are doing. How the car runs on the track (With Load applied) is very different to how it feels in your hand. Just run the car if you haven't yet, and if you have then keep running it. So far I like this car more than any others that I have owned, and that's alot, trust me.

Steve
Old 08-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #769
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
That is more of a driveline desire than a gear diff thing. I know that some plastic gear diff guys have had to buy replacement gears because of them wearing out or because they sanded to far. Our gear diffs are more along the line of long lasting durable units. A spinning gear diff like what your describing should not help the car at all compared to what our diffs are doing. How the car runs on the track (With Load applied) is very different to how it feels in your hand. Just run the car if you haven't yet, and if you have then keep running it. So far I like this car more than any others that I have owned, and that's alot, trust me.

Steve
Thanks for the input. I did run the car at the nats, but I did a dummy move and I tried a diffrent motor than I run and had all kind of temp problems. so for the main I out my d3 back in and the car was good, ther was carnage on the first turn and I got caught up in it and had to play go and get em. over all I had fun, glad I could be part of the nats.
Juwan Hunter http://rccarworld.com/............ serpent.com
Track director at RCCW.
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #770
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

I used some grinding paste to bed in the gears in my diff and it's like a baby's behind now - lovely and smooth! The only diff I've felt that's anywhere near as good was a Yokomo BD5 one. All the spec-r ones I've felt for various cars were nowhere near as good.

Just fill the diff with paste, spin one outdrive using a cordless drill and hold the pulley so that the other outdrive spins freely. Keep it going until there is no 'notchyness' in the diff. Then be sure to thoroughly clean out the paste before putting oil in.

As the gears are metallic, once you've done the above and have a smooth diff, you won't be doing it again for a long while, unlike when plastic gears are used.

It's all in the preparation! Spend the time now and reap the long term benefits on the track.

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #771
Tech Elite

Mark,

If I were to do this, can you let us know what grinding paste you used. I don't have anything like that around my house.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stiles View Post
I used some grinding paste to bed in the gears in my diff and it's like a baby's behind now - lovely and smooth! The only diff I've felt that's anywhere near as good was a Yokomo BD5 one. All the spec-r ones I've felt for various cars were nowhere near as good.

Just fill the diff with paste, spin one outdrive using a cordless drill and hold the pulley so that the other outdrive spins freely. Keep it going until there is no 'notchyness' in the diff. Then be sure to thoroughly clean out the paste before putting oil in.

As the gears are metallic, once you've done the above and have a smooth diff, you won't be doing it again for a long while, unlike when plastic gears are used.

It's all in the preparation! Spend the time now and reap the long term benefits on the track.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #772
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mark Stiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
Mark,

If I were to do this, can you let us know what grinding paste you used. I don't have anything like that around my house.

Steve
I found some valve grinding compound in my garage that I think my dad's had in there since before I was born! I would think you can probably get it from most car repair/service shops...

BRCA 1/12 Electric Circuit Section Chairman
Mark Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #773
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I wonder if you could just mix some Ajax in with the silicone oil.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 PM   #774
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
I found some valve grinding compound in my garage that I think my dad's had in there since before I was born! I would think you can probably get it from most car repair/service shops...
I use fine grind stone to smooth the edge of the teeth gears
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #775
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
I did it once..didn't like the finished..every where inside the diff and the shims look like $shit..the stuff grind everythings...
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #776
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Tooth past! That's what we used in our Mini diffs!!!

Kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #777
Tech Elite

Let the diff wear in on its own. Mine is as smooth as butter with 2 fluid changes.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #778
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what are most people using in the way of diff oil ? so far i have just been using what came with the kit..

my diff is notchy i was just going to let it wear in as normal
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #779
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwoodcraft View Post
what are most people using in the way of diff oil ? so far i have just been using what came with the kit..

my diff is notchy i was just going to let it wear in as normal
I used 1000wt for first 2 outings. Then use 3000wt now. Very smooth and predictable with the heavier fluid.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #780
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i will do one more run and then change the fluid i just breaking in the car ready for the nats here in aus
mattwoodcraft is offline   Reply With Quote