R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2016, 12:07 PM   #6946
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 6,124
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I'll likely go with hard (medium) plastics, as my regular track is med grip on a very good day.

The thing about to he kit C hubs I had is they aren't marked like the hard versions are, but they've got crescent shaped divots on the inside that matched with ones that were marked. Thanks for the tip on newer arms. I'll definitely look into that.

Rebuilding shocks several times a day...nope. I'm a weekly club racer that will barely qualify in the B, if the competition is strong. I might rebuild shocks a few times per season in my cars that see a lot of action. Hell, yesterday I barely had time to charge and sauce, before I was running again. (2 classes + 4 heats = no wrench time!)

Thanks again!
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #6947
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,404
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
I'll likely go with hard (medium) plastics, as my regular track is med grip on a very good day.

The thing about to he kit C hubs I had is they aren't marked like the hard versions are, but they've got crescent shaped divots on the inside that matched with ones that were marked. Thanks for the tip on newer arms. I'll definitely look into that.

Rebuilding shocks several times a day...nope. I'm a weekly club racer that will barely qualify in the B, if the competition is strong. I might rebuild shocks a few times per season in my cars that see a lot of action. Hell, yesterday I barely had time to charge and sauce, before I was running again. (2 classes + 4 heats = no wrench time!)

Thanks again!
Jim, I'd go with the hard plastics, the XH plastics are fragile and maybe a pro can run them, but I'd stay away from them personally.

The C-hubs are marked and usually they are on the inside lower left side or right side of the inside of the chub, unless you have old stock items, those where randomly marked or not at all some times. Just make sure when you install them that the tops of the chubs are tilted towards the back of the car.

I only rebuild shocks when they make the squishy noise on compression, or when I fly with my cars. It seems like the shocks always need rebuilds after a plane trip.

As long as the diff doesn't leak excessively, I usually only check it the same time as the shock rebuild, although lately because of playing with different diff thickness fluids, its apart more than normal.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:51 PM   #6948
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,404
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
How looking do you guys typically wait to replace your rear outdrives? Mine are getting pretty rounded and I seem to be replacing cvd blades every 8 to 10 packs before they look beaten up... I have a 2.0 with the v3 diff- aluminum outdrives.
Stay on top of the replacement of the pin cushions (blades) and you shouldn't pound out the outdrives is all you can do. I'm still trying to confirm this, but I think the Yokomo pin cushions are of a better material than the Serpent ones and should be a direct replacement. I'd say 8 to 10 packs might be sooner than what I do, but I check them continually. A quick check for the front blades is to have your car on your setup board ready to run, now try to rotate your spur gear, if you get more than 2 teeth push on the gear you can pretty much count on the front blades being worn out. More than that and they are definitely shot, less and you should be okay for a few more runs.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #6949
Tech Elite
 
axle182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 3,784
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to axle182
Default

I have been cutting a few Serpent 411 top decks for a few locals. If anyone wants one, I have two designs, and a few different thicknesses. Sorry for the terrible pic, its all I have right now. PM or email me at [email protected] Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-serpent-411.jpg  
__________________
Aaron "AJ" Freind
axle182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:48 PM   #6950
Tech Regular
 
swerv512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

pM sent for specs. always curious to see what other designs people are experimenting with...

Last edited by swerv512; 02-18-2016 at 06:39 AM.
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:25 PM   #6951
Tech Addict
 
1shnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maple,ontario,Canada
Posts: 511
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Sorry if this was asked before... I have a TE version and just wondered If I can use any other companies floating servo mount? I don't really like the serpent version and I would like to try a "floating servo"

TIA
__________________
-Fast cats
-eXpress motorsports
-T.O.P
-Airtronics
1shnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #6952
Tech Regular
 
swerv512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Curious what issues have you with the serpent floating mount...
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #6953
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 6,124
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle182 View Post
I have been cutting a few Serpent 411 top decks for a few locals. If anyone wants one, I have two designs, and a few different thicknesses. Sorry for the terrible pic, its all I have right now. PM or email me at [email protected] Thanks!
Large gain in front grip, rear stayed neutral. It's a good piece!
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #6954
Tech Addict
 
1shnot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Maple,ontario,Canada
Posts: 511
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
Curious what issues have you with the serpent floating mount...
Nothing is wrong with them... just don't like the way it looks, that's all.
__________________
-Fast cats
-eXpress motorsports
-T.O.P
-Airtronics
1shnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #6955
Tech Adept
 
spacendeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Voorhout, Netherlands
Posts: 241
Send a message via MSN to spacendeman
Default

Maybe you can also wait a little bit for the prototype that Wilck has tested last ETS?
__________________
Currently:
Serpent F110 SF2 with Hobbywing ETS setup.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 with ETS Stock setup
Serpent S411 Eryx 3.0 with ETS Stock setup as rain car.
Serpent S120 LTR with 10.5 blinky mode.
spacendeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #6956
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London ON Canada
Posts: 46
Default

This has probably been mentioned before, but the part numbers on Serpent website for 401623 Wishbone FR Lw V2 XH, and 401624 Wishbone RR Lw V2 XH, - not only have the photos transposed, but if you order the Rear 401624 the front arms are in that package.
On another note - rebuilding my 411 shocks and wondering if you guys are drilling the vent hole in the upper part of the shock above the bladder? And what advantage would that do - reduce the rebound?
Dan_E_RCTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 04:08 PM   #6957
Tech Champion
 
monkeyracing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SnowMexico
Posts: 6,124
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Drilling a hole in the cap above the bladder will eliminate any rebound caused by the bladder. I do this with my Tamiya shocks and it's made them much easier to build and tune.

I'm still fairly new to the Serpent family, so I'm hoping you can walk me through a few things regarding the versions of the cars. From what I gather, most parts (EG: wishbones) interchange between versions of the S411. What I'm wondering is will something like the V2 wishbones work with the "V1" C-hubs, etc?

There have been so many revisions of the car that I'm unsure what's going to work. Another example is I have a gear diff revision set (401371). I'm pretty sure it'll work with my diffs, but are there identifiers to tell you which version you've got?

Apologies for the many questions, but I'm doing my first complete teardown and rebuild soon.
__________________
Stab it and steer.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #6958
Tech Regular
 
swerv512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Drilling a hole in the cap above the bladder will eliminate any rebound caused by the bladder. I do this with my Tamiya shocks and it's made them much easier to build and tune.

I'm still fairly new to the Serpent family, so I'm hoping you can walk me through a few things regarding the versions of the cars. From what I gather, most parts (EG: wishbones) interchange between versions of the S411. What I'm wondering is will something like the V2 wishbones work with the "V1" C-hubs, etc?

There have been so many revisions of the car that I'm unsure what's going to work. Another example is I have a gear diff revision set (401371). I'm pretty sure it'll work with my diffs, but are there identifiers to tell you which version you've got?

Apologies for the many questions, but I'm doing my first complete teardown and rebuild soon.
Yep. First thing I did when I built the kit was take a 1/16" bit and drill the shock caps. I read that this mod is basically for high traction carpet but zero rebound in all shocks is one less variable to deal with in my setup even though I typically run on low-medium traction asphalt. The only thing is there's no going back unless you buy new shocks caps if you decide you actually want the advantages of variable rebound
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #6959
Tech Master
 
snuvet75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,274
Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
Yep. First thing I did when I built the kit was take a 1/16" bit and drill the shock caps. I read that this mod is basically for high traction carpet but zero rebound in all shocks is one less variable to deal with in my setup even though I typically run on low-medium traction asphalt. The only thing is there's no going back unless you buy new shocks caps if you decide you actually want the advantages of variable rebound
This applies to every shock. Removing rebound will do what u said. Eliminating variables.but that is really vague statement.
Shocks r composed of 2 actions. Dampening and rebound. Dampening is from oils. Rebound is from springs. Drilling the cap eliminates the rebounding action from shock's pressure and makes it rely completely on springs for rebound. That way w every adjustment u make on spring tension u see the expected result at most.. So shocks r not supposed to have the rebound u mentioned. There comes in drilling the hole.
I personally dont do it because my car has been fine on the track w other adjustment but certainly drilling wouldnt hurt at all if not better as far as u do it correctly. Especially if u compete at national/inernational level, i dont see see why u dont do it.
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:53 AM   #6960
Tech Regular
 
swerv512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 362
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
This applies to every shock. Removing rebound will do what u said. Eliminating variables.but that is really vague statement.
Shocks r composed of 2 actions. Dampening and rebound. Dampening is from oils. Rebound is from springs. Drilling the cap eliminates the rebounding action from shock's pressure and makes it rely completely on springs for rebound. That way w every adjustment u make on spring tension u see the expected result at most.. So shocks r not supposed to have the rebound u mentioned. There comes in drilling the hole.
I personally dont do it because my car has been fine on the track w other adjustment but certainly drilling wouldnt hurt at all if not better as far as u do it correctly. Especially if u compete at national/inernational level, i dont see see why u dont do it.
Thank you for the clarity and explanation.
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 10:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 06:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:03 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net