R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-16-2015, 03:39 PM   #6826
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ok. so i know much of my understeer is caused by going into corners too hot and not getting weight transfer to the front wheels. i always run zero drag brake and i NEVER use the brakes when running. i simply adjust entry speed into the corner and go neutral throttle on tight bends. because of this i never take advantage of the front end's available grip because neutral throttle seems to shift weight off the rear but never really gets to loading up the front end. so, i'm looking at either playing with drag brake (i run 17.5 blinky 99% asphalt) or actually manipulating the brake by myself (OMG)- both very foreign. I've been playing with suspension settings to band-aid my driving style but any setup that gets me the desired steering effect makes the rear end really loose. i was going to change the ackerman but i think i first need to get some time with driving changes.
another question: does changing the link position on the steering block change ackerman? i dont really get what that adjustment does? i know i can add/subtract ackerman by adding/removing shims under the ball joint on the steering bellcrank.

sorry for the long post, i'm just excited.
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #6827
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
ok. so i know much of my understeer is caused by going into corners too hot and not getting weight transfer to the front wheels. i always run zero drag brake and i NEVER use the brakes when running. i simply adjust entry speed into the corner and go neutral throttle on tight bends. because of this i never take advantage of the front end's available grip because neutral throttle seems to shift weight off the rear but never really gets to loading up the front end. so, i'm looking at either playing with drag brake (i run 17.5 blinky 99% asphalt) or actually manipulating the brake by myself (OMG)- both very foreign. I've been playing with suspension settings to band-aid my driving style but any setup that gets me the desired steering effect makes the rear end really loose. i was going to change the ackerman but i think i first need to get some time with driving changes.
another question: does changing the link position on the steering block change ackerman? i dont really get what that adjustment does? i know i can add/subtract ackerman by adding/removing shims under the ball joint on the steering bellcrank.

No issues. I use a little bit of drag brake (10-15%) this aids to transfer the weight forwards and get the front end turned in. This is particularly useful for people coming from the brushed motor days as brushless motors spin a lot freer so the motor braking is a lot less.

To get more steering on the 411 just put 4mm shims below the steering block pivot ball that you connect the steering link to. This straightens the steering link and will give you more steering without making the car loose at the rear. We used to flip the steering blocks left/right but that messed with the caster too much so found the shims worked better. Try it and see.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #6828
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
No issues. I use a little bit of drag brake (10-15%) this aids to transfer the weight forwards and get the front end turned in. This is particularly useful for people coming from the brushed motor days as brushless motors spin a lot freer so the motor braking is a lot less.

To get more steering on the 411 just put 4mm shims below the steering block pivot ball that you connect the steering link to. This straightens the steering link and will give you more steering without making the car loose at the rear. We used to flip the steering blocks left/right but that messed with the caster too much so found the shims worked better. Try it and see.
Definately want to use some braking to get weight transfer and better steering, although you may want to play with droop settings as well.

For carpet the flipped steering blocks is still the prefered method, not sure how this would effect castor though? (1mm bump steer spacer)

As far as which holes to use on the steering block, using the different holes will effect the ackeman, but on asphalt the prefered setting would be on the outer holes. The inner holes produce less difference in wheel radius.
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #6829
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Definately want to use some braking to get weight transfer and better steering, although you may want to play with droop settings as well.

For carpet the flipped steering blocks is still the prefered method, not sure how this would effect castor though? (1mm bump steer spacer)

As far as which holes to use on the steering block, using the different holes will effect the ackeman, but on asphalt the prefered setting would be on the outer holes. The inner holes produce less difference in wheel radius.
The steering blocks are not zero degree blocks and so when you flip them left/right you change the caster as well. If you use the hudy gauges you can see the difference. It isn't much but it does change. For me personally I've found varying the bump steer shims to be a much better way of doing it on both carpet and asphalt (I usually run 4mm on asphalt and 2mm on carpet initially). Each to their own of course.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #6830
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
The steering blocks are not zero degree blocks and so when you flip them left/right you change the caster as well. If you use the hudy gauges you can see the difference. It isn't much but it does change. For me personally I've found varying the bump steer shims to be a much better way of doing it on both carpet and asphalt (I usually run 4mm on asphalt and 2mm on carpet initially). Each to their own of course.
We look at it more at axle height and relation to the outdrive, much like diff height but on the outside of the car. I never even looked at caster as I thought the pivot screws passed straight threw the hub itself regardless of which way they mounted.
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #6831
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

All my cars are serpent except my touring car and it's a awesomatix. I've looked this car but they stopped making it for a bit and the issue of getting parts was painful. Whats the status now.
Falcon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:35 PM   #6832
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon01 View Post
All my cars are serpent except my touring car and it's a awesomatix. I've looked this car but they stopped making it for a bit and the issue of getting parts was painful. Whats the status now.
Parts availability is pretty decent through Amain Hobbies with $1.99 shipping for almost everything. I believe RC Mushroom, and RCMart, stock some serpent stuff as well.

Afaik, the Eryx 3.0 is still being made and is available.
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #6833
Tech Apprentice

OK my buddy and I were thinking about it but as I said before the issue was getting extra parts. I'll have a look at those places.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #6834
Tech Regular

Quote:
OK my buddy and I were thinking about it but as I said before the issue was getting extra parts. I'll have a look at those places.
I'm on Mobile so I can't tell if you're in Victoria Australia, or Victoria British Columbia?
Old 11-18-2015, 02:59 PM   #6835
Tech Apprentice

Victoria, British Columbia
Old 11-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #6836
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
You can also look for parts here at the Australian retailer for Serpent cars, and yes they do international orders.

http://www.walterrchobby.com.au/inde...parts/411.html
Old 11-18-2015, 06:44 PM   #6837
Tech Regular

Quote:
Victoria, British Columbia
Gripworks RC out of Langley will be stocking Serpent parts soon, and there is another shop out of Winnipeg that carries some parts online. By far the best option is Amain Hobbies with their USPS super saver shipping until Alex @ Gripworks gets parts in.

Honestly, I haven't broken anything on both my Serpents in 10+ months. With an Xray hard bumper (slight mods to body post holes needed) you will break very few parts. Also, don't use the extra hard parts as they are pretty fragile, stick with hard arms and chubs.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #6838
Tech Apprentice

Grip works, I met him last couple weekends at the big chill.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #6839
Tech Elite

No issues with parts or kit availability of the 3.0 plenty around. RC Market and RC Mushroom both have kits and spares if you have any issues in the US sourcing parts.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #6840
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
We look at it more at axle height and relation to the outdrive, much like diff height but on the outside of the car. I never even looked at caster as I thought the pivot screws passed straight threw the hub itself regardless of which way they mounted.
Ok I hadn't really looked at it that way! Personally I found the bump steering was the major difference when I flipped the blocks. I'll give it another shot when the indoor season properly kicks off here.