EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #6797
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerv512 View Post
Wow. After almost two weeks my roller is finally finished. Completed my 2.0 build last night. It's scary soldering connections after almost a decade lol. Couldn't have done it without this forum (and petit lol). Thanks for all the help and tips guys. All i have left is to paint the body tonight and I'll be hitting the track for the first time in almost ten years. So much has changed but still remained the same. I'll post a pic once the body is complete.
Well done and welcome back. It will be fantastic stepping up to the drivers stand after your time away. Take it easy initially and it'll all come flooding back. It's like riding a bike! Have a great time.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #6798
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Just scrubbed the tires in on the street and scuffed the chassis up with some road rash on the asphalt so I wont baby it lol. Let the good times roll!
swerv512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #6799
Tech Regular

Setting my servo EPAs and i realize why my right turns are so much tighter than those to the left... The bellcrank hits the plastic battery holder. I tried to take off the 2mm spacers that the lipo holders sit on but it made getting battery tape through the chassis too tedious, so i guess i'm ditching the holders all together and going with a combination of strapping tape and double sided tape for lipo security... Anyone else able to sort this out using the factory lipo holders?
I ask because i like the idea of a little lipo protection from the carbon fiber holders in the event of a T-BONE....
Old 10-13-2015, 11:02 AM   #6800
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Setting my servo EPAs and i realize why my right turns are so much tighter than those to the left... The bellcrank hits the plastic battery holder. I tried to take off the 2mm spacers that the lipo holders sit on but it made getting battery tape through the chassis too tedious, so i guess i'm ditching the holders all together and going with a combination of strapping tape and double sided tape for lipo security... Anyone else able to sort this out using the factory lipo holders?
I ask because i like the idea of a little lipo protection from the carbon fiber holders in the event of a T-BONE....
Swing your bellcrank all the way over and determine the angle that it hits the tape holder at. Then carefully cut some of the plastic tape holder at that angle to give you more clearance. Don't go too far on the trimming so it weakens the molded part of the holder or it will break the tape portion on a heavy hit (guilty). They have new tape holders made of aliminum, but I don't know if they can be used with the hockey stick holders.
Just to give you a idea of how much you can trim, I have had them trimmed to the point of just being beside the screw hole threads, very close.
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Old 10-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #6801
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Swing your bellcrank all the way over and determine the angle that it hits the tape holder at. Then carefully cut some of the plastic tape holder at that angle to give you more clearance. Don't go too far on the trimming so it weakens the molded part of the holder or it will break the tape portion on a heavy hit (guilty). They have new tape holders made of aliminum, but I don't know if they can be used with the hockey stick holders.
Just to give you a idea of how much you can trim, I have had them trimmed to the point of just being beside the screw hole threads, very close.
I had to do the same mod to the plastic battery holder as well. Just use a sharp hobby knife and shave enough of the corner that sits beside the post of the steering bellcrank. You won't have to remove much, and it won't affect the integrity of the plastic holder as Johnny mentioned above.
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #6802
Tech Regular

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go tonight. I can say how helpful everyone has been getting me setup...
Old 10-13-2015, 07:45 PM   #6803
Tech Regular

How common is it to ditch the graphite hockey stick holders? If sufficient tape is applied, when would I be at a disadvantage for not having the hockey sticks on?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:24 AM   #6804
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The avid chassis for serpent doesn't use the hockey sticks. I have raced with my avid chassis two club race days in 17.5 now and haven't had any problems with the battery moving.
anr211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #6805
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
How common is it to ditch the graphite hockey stick holders? If sufficient tape is applied, when would I be at a disadvantage for not having the hockey sticks on?
I use the holders as do all the team drivers as well that I've seen. You do need to trim the plastic parts to clear the steering bellcrank it isn't much just rounding the end off is usually enough. Serpent released new design battery retainers which I use and are better than the stock units P/N: 401627 http://www.serpent.com/product/401627/
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:19 AM   #6806
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I have run the stock holders since day 1 without an issue, but of course did trim the plastic bits. I just picked up the Avid chassis last week and ran it over the weekend. No holders and while the battery didn't move, it does bother me a bit. Just not sure I want to go drilling a brand new (and pretty) chassis. For the last 2 years I have used a 2"wide by 3/4" long piece of carpet tape to hold in the battery (replaced every 5-8 packs). Then used the velcro strap loose (so as to not cause tweak) just to prevent a hard hit causing a battery ejection. Held up fine including outdoor asphalt, going down the back straight between 55-65mph and having a tire band break (gotta love those early Hot Race tires) and cartwheeling another 40 feet into a wooden wall.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #6807
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Weird question: How do you change the pinion on the S411 without removing/loosening the top plate? I can't find access to the screw from anywhere, without some dis-assembly.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:59 PM   #6808
Tech Regular

I just changed a pinion today and the only way I can imagine not having top remove the top deck is to have a pinion small enough to fit underneath.

On another note. I just took my 2.0 out on its maiden track voyage. The default asphalt setup was way loose in the rear. The back end wanted to step out at turn in, mid corner, and exit. I increased front droop, moved the upper front shock mount out, swapped from gray to green springs up front, increased front shock oil from 450wt to 500wt, dialed front toe from -1.0 to 0, and laid the rear shocks down. Switched to long camber links too. Setup is now much better on the slippery surface. Have to work on my throttle control though as I'm sure my on-off throttle control is the culprit and I'm band-aiding my defect with suspension changes...
Old 10-20-2015, 01:54 PM   #6809
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Weird question: How do you change the pinion on the S411 without removing/loosening the top plate? I can't find access to the screw from anywhere, without some dis-assembly.
There is a small hole in the bottom of the chassis which lines up with the pinion set screw.
EMR Factory LLC
AWESOME Graphics
Old 10-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #6810
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Close, but no cigar. The hole immediately beneath the pinion lines up with the toothed part very nicely, but there's no room to weasel a driver past that. The slot under the spur seems like an option. It's a bit fiddly, but way better than pulling the top deck. Thanks!