R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-08-2014, 11:43 PM   #6736
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScream View Post
I found some getting started kinda stuff on touring car tires and I now have a basic understanding of rubber tires compared to foam. But I also got the idea that touring car tires are usually 26mm. That isn't what the S411 uses, right? Should I be looking for 24mm? I've got the correct manual downloaded for my car but I don't see anything in there about the correct tire and wheel sizes.

I'm probably missing something very obvious here and will look like an idiot but I don't know what size tires I need for my car. I did try searching this thread but didn't find the answer.
I'm not aware of many 26mm tires. Mostly just the HPI X-Patterns and VTA Fronts. Both of which should work fine. Or any standard 24mm race tire. Basically, if it's got a 12mm hex and is intended for a touring car, it should work fine.

If you're just looking to do driving practice on cold pavement, I'd get something cheap and soft. Post up on your local area forum and see if maybe someone has old race tires they could donate.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #6737
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
Are there supposed to be plastic blades on the front axles when using a spool? Noticed a while back that there aren't any on mine. The manual doesn't show any and I keep forgetting to ask.
Actually it depends on which spool you have, Jim. If your running the steel spool there are no pin cushions, if you have the aluminum spool then there are pin cushions.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #6738
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor0502 View Post
Greetings someone will have some basic setup for a serpent S411 TE for VTA
I just finished racing my TE in the CTA class at the WCICS event in Airdrie, AB over the weekend. The setup worked extremely well, other than some traction roll issues I had in the 4th qualifier. A camber adjustment in the front fixed that though.

I will see if I can attach a setup sheet tonight for you and it should help you get started.
HPI RS4 Pro (shelf queen)
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #6739
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Actually it depends on which spool you have, Jim. If your running the steel spool there are no pin cushions, if you have the aluminum spool then there are pin cushions.
I think it's the steel version. Looks way too thin to be aluminum and has the same red/brown colour as the rest of the steel bits. Plus, it hasn't chipped all to hell like the alloy outdrives on my mini.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:36 PM   #6740
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
I'm not aware of many 26mm tires. Mostly just the HPI X-Patterns and VTA Fronts. Both of which should work fine. Or any standard 24mm race tire. Basically, if it's got a 12mm hex and is intended for a touring car, it should work fine.

If you're just looking to do driving practice on cold pavement, I'd get something cheap and soft. Post up on your local area forum and see if maybe someone has old race tires they could donate.

-Mike
Thanks. The 26mm thing was just my misunderstanding. Not quite sure where I even got the idea that 26 was a standard touring car size rather than 24. Part of what threw me off was a hobby shop employee down in Alabama telling me "those serpent cars are really different. I doubt they use what most touring cars do", when I was down there over Thanksgiving.

-Chris
iScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #6741
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm thinking about buying the RTR version myself for Christmas - does the car need anything out of the box?

Last edited by performula; 12-20-2014 at 10:56 AM.
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:52 PM   #6742
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula View Post
I'm thinking about buying the RTR version myself for Christmas - does the car need anything out of the box?
I think the RTR car is based on the sport version car. Besides the obvious options that you could add to the RTR kit for tuning, the out of the box version is quite good. I believe if you search further back in this thread some one used one to compete in a higher competition level with the sport car. Probably a different motor, esc and radio, but the base car was the same.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #6743
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Need help this makes no sense to me. On my limited 411 I can not get full steering throw no matter what I try. EPA IS maxed out on my 4pk and I can't run a taller horn because it makes the link hit the top plate what am I doing wrong?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:21 PM   #6744
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix View Post
Need help this makes no sense to me. On my limited 411 I can not get full steering throw no matter what I try. EPA IS maxed out on my 4pk and I can't run a taller horn because it makes the link hit the top plate what am I doing wrong?
Maybe if you can shoot a picture of your car we see if something looks out of place.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #6745
Tech Regular

Is it worth getting the 2,4 and 6 degree caster C-hubs or would I be able to get a similar effect just by adding shims under the front suspension arm mounts?

Doing that seems like it would accomplish the same thing.

Am I wrong?
Old 03-23-2015, 12:47 AM   #6746
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow, it's pretty quiet around here.... Hope this car is still running strong.
I am about to get a new to me S411 TE thanks to a fellow member on this site and was wondering how will this TC stack up against the rest of TCs out there? i.e. H4e, specR, Sakura, X-ray....

My plan is to build a cheap racer with trackstar 80a / 13.5 running blinky mode.
Was thinking about buying brand new with my limited budget but just can't pull the trigger on the Associate TC4, Xi sport or specR r2... (Too many upgrade parts needed)
I hope I made a good investment...

Also, if anyone can share setup tips on this that would be really helpful.
Will plan to run it on large asphalt track with medium to high grip.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:42 AM   #6747
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo883 View Post
Wow, it's pretty quiet around here.... Hope this car is still running strong.
I am about to get a new to me S411 TE thanks to a fellow member on this site and was wondering how will this TC stack up against the rest of TCs out there? i.e. H4e, specR, Sakura, X-ray....

My plan is to build a cheap racer with trackstar 80a / 13.5 running blinky mode.
Was thinking about buying brand new with my limited budget but just can't pull the trigger on the Associate TC4, Xi sport or specR r2... (Too many upgrade parts needed)
I hope I made a good investment...

Also, if anyone can share setup tips on this that would be really helpful.
Will plan to run it on large asphalt track with medium to high grip.
Thanks in advance.
Hey!! Yeah sure the car is running very strongly. It's quiet here because most of us have moved over to the newer 3.0 so come over and see what's new! The TE is quite an old car now and there has been quite a few interesting changes to the platform since.

Serpent S411 Eryx 3.0

This is a really useful site for the older cars setups etc...

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...ntS4112.0.html

The newer 3.0 is quite different than the TE. Alu chassis etc so the setups we are currently playing with are also quite different.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #6748
Tech Regular

A new version of this car comes out every year and for most of us makes very little or no real difference to our overall performance. If it gets you out there and does not break all the time I say its a good car! Fortunately serpent has not changed the platform much so getting parts is no problem (you just have to figure out what version you want/need)

I ran a similar setup a few times this winter with my TE but with a 120amp esc. For my very small track it was to much motor, so I dropped to a 17.5. Now that outdoor season is around the corner its time to put the 4.5 back in.
D.a.v.e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #6749
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anyone using/have any luck with the rrs system? Curious if this is any good. Since I just destroyed the rear suspension on my eryx racing yesterday and have to order some parts.
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 AM   #6750
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Yes I have had great luck with the RRS. I wrote about the RRS setup here in the Eryx 3.0 thread.