R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2014, 06:50 PM   #6616
Tech Regular

I know this because I am going to fit xray 6* plastic hubs. It requires xray knuckles, and axles to do. Good news is I hear serpent is in the process of making 2* & 6* hubs in plastic right now. Since I had to buy xray stuff, this is a half million dollar experiment, lol
Old 06-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #6617
Tech Addict

Wonder if i should replace my TC3 with this rtr serpent. Only question is part support? in canada.

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #6618
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schs2013 View Post
Wonder if i should replace my TC3 with this rtr serpent. Only question is part support? in canada.
Chances are high that your LHS either supports only one model of touring car (X-ray, serpent, AE etc) or doesn't support any TC models at all like mine (well Durango TC stuff, but very little).

Either way, I wouldn't worry much about that as parts are easy to get from RCMart, A-Main, RC Mushroom etc etc. A-main has cheap USPS shipping for canadians and RCMart's cheapest shipping option for Canadians also happens to be very fast in my experience.

The only LHS I've found that stocks Serpent items is clockworkracingengines.com out of winnipeg. They are nice to deal with as well, but their inventory is sometimes sparse. RCMart is the cheapest per item as well btw.

Hope that helps.
HPI RS4 Pro (shelf queen)
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #6619
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamLS View Post
Chances are high that your LHS either supports only one model of touring car (X-ray, serpent, AE etc) or doesn't support any TC models at all like mine (well Durango TC stuff, but very little).

Either way, I wouldn't worry much about that as parts are easy to get from RCMart, A-Main, RC Mushroom etc etc. A-main has cheap USPS shipping for canadians and RCMart's cheapest shipping option for Canadians also happens to be very fast in my experience.

The only LHS I've found that stocks Serpent items is clockworkracingengines.com out of winnipeg. They are nice to deal with as well, but their inventory is sometimes sparse. RCMart is the cheapest per item as well btw.

Hope that helps.
Thank you that will help alots!

-Marc Gill
Schs2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #6620
Tech Rookie

Default alu c-hub vs plastic and alu vs plastic rear upright

Hi.
What will be the positive and negative difference with alu and plastic c-hub/uprights??
Better on high grip or low grip?? Fast or technical track??
Why pay $40-60 if i dont need it..
The new rss has alu c-hubs, and i guess its a reason for that??
epstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:07 PM   #6621
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epstn View Post
Hi.
What will be the positive and negative difference with alu and plastic c-hub/uprights??
Better on high grip or low grip?? Fast or technical track??
Why pay $40-60 if i dont need it..
The new rss has alu c-hubs, and i guess its a reason for that??
Plastics are less sprung weight, on track the hards are virtually the same as the aluminum parts.

The RSS uses the aluminum c-hubs as its the only item they presently have with 2* of caster, closest to 0.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #6622
Tech Regular

Currently serpent only makes the 2* & 6* c-hubs in aluminum. But I have heard they are working on plastic ones now.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #6623
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

A question for anyone that can answer, i was down at a local track meet today, after ages spent trying to getting my eryx 2.0 to do as it should, slippery back end but after changing from front gear back to spool i seemed to have much more corner entry steering which was good. Slightly fishy back end still but much better.

Coming out of one corner though it just stopped dead, in its tracks, the marshal picked it up and said "ahh don't buy muchmore motors mate, they frizz" i noticed it must have gotten so hot the solder let go and the B lead had separated from the motor, solder was even down over the rear bulk head as though it'd splattered.

Now its a tight track, low grip but I'm only running about a 4.2 FDR in Blinky 13.5. Heat has never been an issue.
Could it be possible the motor isn't frizzed its just come unstuck.?
svndayNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:51 AM   #6624
Tech Regular

A question for anyone that can answer, i was down at a local track meet today, after ages spent trying to getting my eryx 2.0 to do as it should, slippery back end but after changing from front gear back to spool i seemed to have much more corner entry steering which was good. Slightly fishy back end still but much better.

Coming out of one corner though it just stopped dead, in its tracks, the marshal picked it up and said "ahh don't buy muchmore motors mate, they frizz" i noticed it must have gotten so hot the solder let go and the B lead had separated from the motor, solder was even down over the rear bulk head as though it'd splattered.

Now its a tight track, low grip but I'm only running about a 4.2 FDR in Blinky 13.5. Heat has never been an issue.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 AM   #6625
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svndayNZ View Post

2 things. When motors unsolder they are gone. Something got very hot to melt the solder and the magnets don't recover. I'd be pulling apart your speedy as well and check the fets and soldering for damage. 4.2 does not sound extreme for gearing on a 13.5.
As for your loose back end. Try adding more front droop so as you have for example 4/4 on the droop blocks front rear vs the kit 5/4. If you are not already try running some anti dive in the front. Go to 1 mm shims under the split blocks in front rear and 0.5mm under the solid front front block. You could also take out some EPA on the transmitter as too much steering throw causes a loose back end on corner exit for me.

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #6626
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
2 things. When motors unsolder they are gone. Something got very hot to melt the solder and the magnets don't recover. I'd be pulling apart your speedy as well and check the fets and soldering for damage. 4.2 does not sound extreme for gearing on a 13.5.
As for your loose back end. Try adding more front droop so as you have for example 4/4 on the droop blocks front rear vs the kit 5/4. If you are not already try running some anti dive in the front. Go to 1 mm shims under the split blocks in front rear and 0.5mm under the solid front front block. You could also take out some EPA on the transmitter as too much steering throw causes a loose back end on corner exit for me.
Nice one, will work on it. thanks mate
Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 AM   #6627
Tech Apprentice

Spring question:
Have a eryx 2.0 with unmodified shock collars, want to buy some yokomo springs but are they short enough to get the ride height down to ~4mm ?
Have a set of xray springs from the old days but they are useless because i cant get ride height below ~7mm...
Worst87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #6628
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst87 View Post
Spring question:
Have a eryx 2.0 with unmodified shock collars, want to buy some yokomo springs but are they short enough to get the ride height down to ~4mm ?
Have a set of xray springs from the old days but they are useless because i cant get ride height below ~7mm...
I use RIDE springs which are 25mm long and just about achieve 5.2mm ride height. If you need 4mm ride height then you'll need to use 23mm springs like the Serpent ones. If the Yokomo springs are 23mm then you'll be fine.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #6629
Tech Apprentice

Thanks 4 the quick answer. As the yokomo springs are 25mm i will rather buy the serpent springs.
Worst87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #6630
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
I use RIDE springs which are 25mm long and just about achieve 5.2mm ride height. If you need 4mm ride height then you'll need to use 23mm springs like the Serpent ones. If the Yokomo springs are 23mm then you'll be fine.
Rsd makes a set of 23mm for the xray work like a champ and are progressive rate so you won't bottom out as easy
Slash 4x4, Axial Deadbolt
scooby61 is offline   Reply With Quote