Like Tree16Likes

Serpent S411

Old 06-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scooby61
So what's the pro/ con's of running the all steel gear vs the composite vs the hybrid that your talking about. I'm not the world's best driver so I was looking at it as sacrificing a little acceleration ( due to Inc rotational mass) for reliability. I still crash fairly often and run on med grip small asphalt track. On rubber tires with a tekin rsx and a 5.5t.
The only real cons with the all steel diff is the rotating mass and it takes a little longer to get it broken in and feeling smooth.

I have run all the diff configurations as well as the 2 gear and 4 gear diffs. The all work about the same once they break in. In my mod car I didn't really notice any excessive wear on the out drives, but I don't get a lot of time on it. I can tell you that the newest gears for the V3 diff, the all composite gears, are a nice combination of strength and still lite. The definately look and feel good in the new diff. The older plastic gears seemed a little brittle compared to these gears.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The only real cons with the all steel diff is the rotating mass and it takes a little longer to get it broken in and feeling smooth.

I have run all the diff configurations as well as the 2 gear and 4 gear diffs. The all work about the same once they break in. In my mod car I didn't really notice any excessive wear on the out drives, but I don't get a lot of time on it. I can tell you that the newest gears for the V3 diff, the all composite gears, are a nice combination of strength and still lite. The definately look and feel good in the new diff. The older plastic gears seemed a little brittle compared to these gears.
Running only mod I have gone through 8 sets of aluminium outdrives during approximately 800 runs. It is outdoors that the wear is noticable. Not a single problem with the composite gears sofare.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quick question guys. Sorry if this has been answered before, but I did a search and couldnt find anything conclusive. Do xray gear diffs fit the ERYX 2.0?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Linguster
Running only mod I have gone through 8 sets of aluminium outdrives during approximately 800 runs. It is outdoors that the wear is noticable. Not a single problem with the composite gears sofare.
Is the stock outdrive aluminum or steel? I also have worn out the outdrives and need to get new ones. Would u say there is noticeable difference in light of speed between all and steel?
Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Glarke
Quick question guys. Sorry if this has been answered before, but I did a search and couldnt find anything conclusive. Do xray gear diffs fit the ERYX 2.0?
The Serpent diff is a 38t the xray is a 39t, so belts could be a issue also the ball end of the Serpent dog bone is a different size than Xray. Physically I think it would fit but to make it work requires more parts to be changed out.

EDIT. Sorry. They are both 38t. The outdrive for the Xray still uses a bigger ballend then the Serpent though. (See below for more)

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 06-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Adept

The Serpent diff is a 38t the xray is a 39t, so belts could be a issue also the ball end of the Serpent dog bone is a different size than Xray. Physically I think it would fit but to make it work requires more parts to be changed out.
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by snuvet75
Is the stock outdrive aluminum or steel? I also have worn out the outdrives and need to get new ones. Would u say there is noticeable difference in light of speed between all and steel?
Diffs V1,V2 both had steel outdrives, V3 and up diff has aluminum. Unfortunately the steel outdrives use a hex and screw to hold the big gear in the diff, the aluminum outdrives uses a pin and slot in the big gear. So you can't use aluminum outdrives with the complete steel gear set, or the steel outdrives with the composite gear set.

In mod I think if I was going thru that many out drives I would go to the steel diff. Although the rotating mass is a little more it would last much longer. That weight would be pretty marginal impact for mod racing.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.
No problem. What where you thinking about doing, or was it just to use the Xray diff in general?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Adept

Have a Xray diff, and potentially getting a ERYX shortly. Just wanted to know if I could use it for the front end.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

Have a Xray diff, and potentially getting a ERYX shortly. Just wanted to know if I could use it for the front end.
No that won't work as a straight change out.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Newbie to electric.

What size motors go in these cars? 540's?
Old 06-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Evo 13
Newbie to electric.

What size motors go in these cars? 540's?
Yes, thats the most popular size for TC.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

I think the serpent and xray spools/diffs have the same number of teeth. The internal ratio difference is at the small pulleys at the spur. Serpent (19 pulley) xray (20). I happen to have RSD out drives for the xray spool, and the serpent DCJs with blades fit fine. I would guess they are the same dimensions as the xray ones.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, thats the most popular size for TC.
Thanks Johnny,
Old 06-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Adam B
I think the serpent and xray spools/diffs have the same number of teeth. The internal ratio difference is at the small pulleys at the spur. Serpent (19 pulley) xray (20). I happen to have RSD out drives for the xray spool, and the serpent DCJs with blades fit fine. I would guess they are the same dimensions as the xray ones.
You are correct, they both are 38t.(my mistake in above post) I do know that when I tried to run a older Xray diff in the car, that it was too wide. Also if you go to the 20t pulleys the stock belts won't work. Definitely the ball end that has the pin cushion is smaller on the Serpent than the Xray, and yes it will fit, but when it spins up the dog bone will shift up and down enough that you could hit the end of the upper camber link bolt with the cushion itself. (guilty of doing that). So its not just a simple change out of diff for diff, more parts are required for proper fit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.