R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 AM   #6406
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronf1 View Post
Does someone is using hudy servo horn on the Eryx?
I am running serpent s747 servo horn, it is a bit longer and makes the steering feel better #804154 you will need to add one more 1 mm shim. Also it is cheapper
jimjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM   #6407
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Durango has a nice 4 spring servo saver with a longer horn that would work very well with the car, looks almost like a Xray, but in a one hole version.

Had a very good weekend racing the final WCIC race of the season. Cars where working great and if your on carpet try Paul Cicarellos setup from the last Rug Burn race, well worth it.

Also Serpents, Steve Soon won both the Stock and Mod races as well as the Championships running ERYX cars.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #6408
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Anyone notice this?

http://www.serpent.com/file.php?FileID=5885
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #6409
Tech Regular

I heard just yesterday that the 3.0 is coming soon. Basically it's the same car, but with misc hop-ups included. When I get more info, I will try to share.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #6410
Tech Elite

All the option parts with a aluminum chassis.

Wish I knew who makes the setup sheet, really would like to change a couple things to make it easier and more informative.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #6411
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Aluminum chassis huh? I remember somebody posted Fisher ' car w that. Is that some sort of trend that the other brands might follow? Just thinking of the possible advantage, I can't think many. Wouldn't it bend and cause tweak a lot more?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #6412
Tech Elite

Yes I thought that was why we went to carbon fiber years ago to get away from aluminum chassis, but perhaps they have better materials now.

Lower mass weight, not sure about flex capabilities though.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #6413
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Yes I thought that was why we went to carbon fiber years ago to get away from aluminum chassis, but perhaps they have better materials now.

Lower mass weight, not sure about flex capabilities though.
Yeah whatever the case is, I'm pretty sure they have found it better in some ways than current CF. Can't wait to see some feedback. Any guess on release date?
Old 04-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #6414
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Yeah whatever the case is, I'm pretty sure they have found it better in some ways than current CF. Can't wait to see some feedback. Any guess on release date?
2 weeks.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:48 PM   #6415
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
I heard just yesterday that the 3.0 is coming soon. Basically it's the same car, but with misc hop-ups included. When I get more info, I will try to share.

Top plate towards the rear seems different thus a different motor mount on the horizion
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:02 PM   #6416
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm still confused as to why aluminum chassis are the "in" thing right now. At the top level they might be fine, but at the club level where you're more likely to have some big crashes, I could see the chassis developing some irreversible tweak pretty quickly.

I could be completely wrong though lol.
HPI RS4 Pro (shelf queen)
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #6417
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As Gary mentioned, we wrapped up the 2013/14 WCICS season last weekend. Serpent took 1st in TC Stock & Mod at the race, and also in the overall championship

Here is my TC Mod setup for the Calgary leg.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Steve_Soon_WCICS_Calgary_2014.pdf (259.1 KB, 79 views)
Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 AM   #6418
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey, new Serpent owner here. (I blame Steve) I picked up a pair of used S411 v1 and I've got questions about how things go together. Be gentle, it's my first grown up TC.

I'm using an Arc 64p 96t spur gear, with a 47t pinion, to start out with an FDR of about 4.1. The first problem i ran into was mounting the motor. With the spur in place, I couldn't get the rear motor screw into place. I ended up removing the motor mount, attaching the motor to it and reinstalling the assembly.

The second issue occurred when installing the pinion. In order to fit the pinion in place, I had to loosen the rearward section of the top plate to gain clearance to slide the pinion onto the motor shaft.

Thirdly (and finally) was setting the mesh and tightening the motor down. The forward motor screw was easy enough to reach, but getting to the rear screw proved difficult, as the spur gear was again in the way.

I guess I'm wondering if I missed something or did something wrong. Should I have invested in larger spur gears? (I call it invested, as these things were $10 each!)
Old 04-11-2014, 01:00 AM   #6419
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey, new Serpent owner here. (I blame Steve) I picked up a pair of used S411 v1 and I've got questions about how things go together. Be gentle, it's my first grown up TC.

I'm using an Arc 64p 96t spur gear, with a 47t pinion, to start out with an FDR of about 4.1. The first problem i ran into was mounting the motor. With the spur in place, I couldn't get the rear motor screw into place. I ended up removing the motor mount, attaching the motor to it and reinstalling the assembly.

The second issue occurred when installing the pinion. In order to fit the pinion in place, I had to loosen the rearward section of the top plate to gain clearance to slide the pinion onto the motor shaft.

Thirdly (and finally) was setting the mesh and tightening the motor down. The forward motor screw was easy enough to reach, but getting to the rear screw proved difficult, as the spur gear was again in the way.

I guess I'm wondering if I missed something or did something wrong. Should I have invested in larger spur gears? (I call it invested, as these things were $10 each!)
Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #6420
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post

Best thing is to upgrade to the V3 motor mount as it was redesigned to make lower FDR's easier and adds a lower screw hole to make access easier. You won't need to remove the mount to remove/install the motor anymore. The mount isn't really needed in modified as you run a much higher FDR.

The pinion is a bit tricky to get on and off but I found if you approach the Allen screw from an angle forward of the car it's ok.

The serpent spurs have holes in them and you can get to the rear motor screw easily. Again best thing to do is upgrade to the V3 motor mount as you get a lower mounting hole which is easier to get at when you are using other manufacturers spur gears.

Hope that helps?? Enjoy your 411 it is a brilliant car.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote