R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-15-2014, 05:18 PM   #6211
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm using the 5 spoke wheels, 13815 front and 13820 rear. I thought all the vintage series wheels were the same width and offsets, but never tried different styles of vintage wheels.

Also, to use my wider wheels hexes, I had to drill the 5mm axle hole all the way through the hex. The serpent axles have a step up to a larger size, and the hexes I'm using bottom out on that before the drive pin bottoms out in the cross slot.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:18 PM   #6212
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
I'm using the 5 spoke wheels, 13815 front and 13820 rear. I thought all the vintage series wheels were the same width and offsets, but never tried different styles of vintage wheels.

Also, to use my wider wheels hexes, I had to drill the 5mm axle hole all the way through the hex. The serpent axles have a step up to a larger size, and the hexes I'm using bottom out on that before the drive pin bottoms out in the cross slot.
I think you're right. They have to be the HPI wheels and tires. I also have to shim out in the front wheels to avoid contact.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 PM   #6213
Tech Initiate

Default S411 RTR upgrade

Hi guys I have purchased a RTR S411 recently. Due to budget constraint I am not getting a top of the line S411 model. Having said that, I am looking at a modest upgrade. What are the few essential parts that can bring it up to a more level playing field with the others? Thank you in advance for the advise.
F8Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:20 PM   #6214
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8Crusader View Post
Hi guys I have purchased a RTR S411 recently. Due to budget constraint I am not getting a top of the line S411 model. Having said that, I am looking at a modest upgrade. What are the few essential parts that can bring it up to a more level playing field with the others? Thank you in advance for the advise.
First upgrade I would do is go for the DJC front axles and put the current front Cvds in the rear. Other than that I'd just run it as it is and see how you get on! Good luck.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:50 AM   #6215
Tech Regular

We have a track with a fast chikane and my car "sits" in the middle of it, it scrubs a lot of speed. The front end dives in the middle. Setup tips?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:06 AM   #6216
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)
Default silly question

I have had a S411 LE and trying to decide about getting some spare parts. Any S411 parts are a direct fit right ? Does anyone know what the main diferences are from the 411 and the 411LE ? Thanks.
Team Underdog-Team UPURZ-Island Raceway & Hobby-Showing up and paying entry fee alone is not :"supporting your track" Stop fooling yourselves - buying online kills local racing programs. If we trade lower feedback always ships first. It ain't over till fat lady sings - race till your told your done and quit complaining .
peter george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:36 AM   #6217
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter george View Post
I have had a S411 LE and trying to decide about getting some spare parts. Any S411 parts are a direct fit right ? Does anyone know what the main diferences are from the 411 and the 411LE ? Thanks.
the first 411 and the LE are the same car
Juwan Hunter http://rccarworld.com/............ serpent.com
Track director at RCCW.
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #6218
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 304 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
the first 411 and the LE are the same car
Thank you sir
Team Underdog-Team UPURZ-Island Raceway & Hobby-Showing up and paying entry fee alone is not :"supporting your track" Stop fooling yourselves - buying online kills local racing programs. If we trade lower feedback always ships first. It ain't over till fat lady sings - race till your told your done and quit complaining .
peter george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:05 AM   #6219
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen View Post
We have a track with a fast chikane and my car "sits" in the middle of it, it scrubs a lot of speed. The front end dives in the middle. Setup tips?
Maybe stand the front shocks up or stiffer front spring or oil.

Same for the back if the back is rolling too much,
Old 01-16-2014, 09:48 AM   #6220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
I think you're right. They have to be the HPI wheels and tires. I also have to shim out in the front wheels to avoid contact.
Yes, these are HPI wheels and tires as well. I even took my car apart to show the other Serpent VTA driver here as we really couldn't see a wheel difference either, his where the 5 spokes and I had the black mags. But if its shims you need for clearance so be it.

I also had posted a while back that if you use some other brands of hexes that you'll have to drill all the way thru because of the stepped axle on the Serpent car. I have used the Xray hexes as the pin depth is correct and causes no bind issues between the hex and the hubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter george View Post
The only major difference between the (S411,S411V2,S411LE) and the S411TE is the shocks. The first cars all had the RCXX shocks or bottom loader shocks, the S411TE came with the RCM shocks or top loader bladder type shocks. Of course as the cars progressed there where factory change ups or parts upgrades such as motor mounts and gear diffs. The the S411 2.0 Eryx with the lowered shock towers and short shocks being the most current car.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #6221
Tech Apprentice

Default V3 diff to tight

I have tried Gebrits tip to use the ARC o-rings in the diff. Then you have a smoth action on the outdrives. The drawback is that they leak. I also used the ARC diffhouse with better function.

At the DHIcup I built 3 new diffs, all of them stock. All three where ruff in in action. I took them appart several times and rebuild them with new o-rings with no improvements. I noticed that it was hard to get the pin into the outdrive shaft. I tried to sand of the outerpart of the diffhouse but it did not improve. I had to use one of my old diffs that are tight in the O-ring.

I have found out the problem, after taken appart old V3 diffs I realize that the bigger shim is 0.3mm thick on the 5 new set that I bought last right before christmas. Looking at my old used diffs and new ones that I have in bag they have a 0.2mm shims.

I get a little frustrated that I wasted many hours at DHI trying to accomplish something impossible. I wounder if there is a logical reason behind switching to 0.3 shims?
Linguster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:47 PM   #6222
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Yes, these are HPI wheels and tires as well. I even took my car apart to show the other Serpent VTA driver here as we really couldn't see a wheel difference either, his where the 5 spokes and I had the black mags. But if its shims you need for clearance so be it.

I also had posted a while back that if you use some other brands of hexes that you'll have to drill all the way thru because of the stepped axle on the Serpent car. I have used the Xray hexes as the pin depth is correct and causes no bind issues between the hex and the hubs.
My 747 has the same problem with the wheel hexes. It came with -0.75mm hex in the front and regular foam tire wheels touched the steering blocks. I had to put 1mm shims to get the clearance. Now I installed +0.75mm offset hexes so I don't need the shims anymore. These little things from Serpent always annoy me but well, every car has its own downsides I guess.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #6223
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First time on the track today after a month and half off, put the djc's on last night And the difference was like night and day. Car handled better into and out of the turns which actually got me a few extra seconds on the race and 1 extra lap. Any one have any good solution to fix the leaking diff, besides replacing it with something else,
Cheers
Old 01-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #6224
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

First time on the track today after a month and half off, put the djc's on last night And the difference was like night and day. Car handled better into and out of the turns which actually got me a few extra seconds on the race and 1 extra lap. Any one have any good solution to fix the leaking diff, besides replacing it with something else,
Cheers
Old 01-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #6225
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Front wheel nuts keep coming loose

I've been racing my S411 ERYX for a few months and I've noticed that the front wheel nuts always become loose. If I don't remember to tighten them back down after each race they just keep getting looser until the point it falls off along with my wheel. I've tried different wheel nuts and that hasn't helped at all. Is anyone else having this issue?
jdawg81 is offline   Reply With Quote