Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 PM   #6181
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
do you want to run mod TC or stock TC.
Definitely mod TC
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #6182
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo 13 View Post
As a diehard Nitro guy, I'm strongly considering trying electric for the days i don't feel like hitting the parking lots at 6-7am to compensate for the loud nitro noise. That said I'm thinking about the 411 eryx. I'm a speed demon, so what motor or electronics combo should I use to maximize top speed? Please pardon me if my question appears silly as I am a total virgin to electric.

Thanks all in advance.
I do not think that you will be dissapointed with the speed that you can get on the straight of the track. At the nationals in Sweden we had 117 km topspeed on TC and 115 on 1/8 Track. Difficult the match the grip of foam tires so the lap times are slightly slower. Most common is to run a 4.5 motor and batteris that can withstand high discharge, you will need to have fans on both speedo and motor.

Competing with the same level of skills, I managed to run equal in 20 minute finals with 1/10 Nitro using two TC and only switching model memory.
Linguster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:38 AM   #6183
Tech Apprentice

Default One step foward at yesterdays race

I stayed with the new Eryx at yesterdays race, old car stayed with "mentally difficulty" in pitbag

We were racing in a gym with "virgin" carpet. "Big" track and around 11 seconds in laptimes in the end of the day.

I had gone through the car and double checked according to suggestions, no real obvious finding just minor adjustments. I did the tweek on a borrowed Muchoore glas board and not only on the blocks.

I changed to Arc orings in shocks and build a 3000 Arc diff based on Gebrits tip. The feel in the 3000Arc diff was equal to my 1200 all serpent.

Track going from no tracion to Low in the end of the day.

Car (me) did preform pretty consistant and I could trust the car. Still off pase a notch compared with the guys I normally race with

Last edited by Linguster; 12-29-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Linguster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #6184
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linguster View Post
I do not think that you will be dissapointed with the speed that you can get on the straight of the track. At the nationals in Sweden we had 117 km topspeed on TC and 115 on 1/8 Track. Difficult the match the grip of foam tires so the lap times are slightly slower. Most common is to run a 4.5 motor and batteris that can withstand high discharge, you will need to have fans on both speedo and motor.

Competing with the same level of skills, I managed to run equal in 20 minute finals with 1/10 Nitro using two TC and only switching model memory.
Thanks, Linguster
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #6185
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

just a little advance notice to someone who may be looking to get into serpent. after wcics5 january 10th, my s411 te will be available for sale used. I like the car and im not selling it cause i have a problem with it, i just need to dredge up some cash for real car stuff, and i wont get to race it again until outdoor season sometime in april/may, by which time i might have money to replace it with an eryx =D

anyway. its a 2012TE with ceramic wheel and layshaft bearings. pretty much stock. ill include a fairly sizable stash of medium hardness parts and hardware i got from the original purchase.. Might start asking around $225 for it. ill entertain offers.
it will of course be officially posted on january 12th after the mains finish up lol.

again. i love my serpent, but i have to move cash around this spring and find $950 from somewhere by february.

shipping anywhere in the world will be included in my price. car comes presassmbled, shimmed ect as perfect as i can make it.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 AM   #6186
Tech Regular

I have tried ARC o-rings in the diff and it leaks a lot at one of the outdrives. Not little but a lot.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #6187
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix82 View Post
Welcome Richard. the guys from Johhny to Chicky. to Steve S. these guys are the for most experts on these cars. I am amazed on how well these cars handle. The current set up we are running from Airdrie at the last WICICS race. works great.

Nick K
Thanks for the replies! I'll have a good look through and play with some of your suggestions. I run at Halifax in the UK which is a permanent outdoor track used predominantly by nitro 1/8 scalers so any moisture in the air makes the track super slick due to the oil/fuel and subsequent moss!!

I've read a lot about people using the Yokomo springs and loving them - which would you recommend getting as a start? I wouldn't mind buying a few sets and giving them a shot.
Richard.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:21 PM   #6188
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.S View Post
Thanks for the replies! I'll have a good look through and play with some of your suggestions. I run at Halifax in the UK which is a permanent outdoor track used predominantly by nitro 1/8 scalers so any moisture in the air makes the track super slick due to the oil/fuel and subsequent moss!!

I've read a lot about people using the Yokomo springs and loving them - which would you recommend getting as a start? I wouldn't mind buying a few sets and giving them a shot.
Yoke springs are predominantly used on carpet. If your running on asphalt you'd be better of getting either Hpi silver, red ride or the new short ride in red also. The kit black springs also work well but those other springs have more of a reputation on asphalt. Hpi are getting thin on the ground now.

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...red625-p-27165

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...medium-p-23915

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=2063

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby

Last edited by Benzaah; 12-31-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:58 AM   #6189
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
Hi Guys,

sorry for my late answer but i haven't a lot time the last days so it wasn't possible for me to write this report earlier. Last Weekend i had a race, too - just a local race, but car was good and i TQed and won in front of an former ets a-finalist - so this was okay

First, some promised pictures of Marc's car. His car's are dialed as everytime, just working :P. He had 3 cars thereby, 2 very similar but the third one had a bit different setup. lighter oils, less rear toe-in etc. but finally he went back to his typical default setup which was everytime the fastest for him.

I've tested a bit more around with rollcenter, springs, putty front diff, wheelbase etc. Rollcenter, i don't know - car feels everytime different, but the timestables shows everytime the same lap times. Maybe a lower rc is easier to drive, because the car is more forgiving and the reaction is a bit more lazier so it's more difficult to overdrive the car. Anyways, rollcenter is a nice feature to tune the car to your driving style.

Springs... yokomo springs are very easy to drive, a lot forgiving but for me if the traction goes up sometimes a bit slower then my hpi springs - but only for stock racing. Have to test more around with that.

putty front diff was really bad on carpet, this was 2-3 tenth slower even with hara putty hardness 75 because you lost a lot forward traction out of corners, at least on carpet. Changed back to spool and the times are good again.

wheelbase i tried default front but longer rear (5mm/1mm). car was lazier, very easy to drive but it wasn't fast - especially on chicanes, this is a nogo. Got a lot of improved reaction and rotation after i shortened the wheelbase again and i ended up at 3mm/3mm.

If you have more questions, especially about marc respectively his car just ask me - this should be the most interesting thing for you guys ^^

Finally, a video which i have recorded on our last practice of Marc's car.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sorry, for the bad smartphone cam quality ^^
Maybe you can write down Marcs setup with LRP CPX tires?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #6190
Tech Rookie

I need to know the measurements of the differential gears?
height, width and hole width.

Thanks
pennesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM   #6191
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
ARC pulley's and differential!

Spool and diff are direct fit but the 19T shaft pulley's have to be modified they are to wide and the hole for the pin is too shallow.

Diff housing and o-rings from ARC internals and out drives Serpent, 0% leaking and smooth action!

Hole thing works really good

Doing my change over tonight (tired of not seeing carpet stuck in the sprockets) ........ what mods did you have to do to the shaft pulley ones.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #6192
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard.S View Post

Im still running the stock springs currently. I borrowed a set of springs for practice for the Edmonton leg of the WCICS race series, and i was really pleased with the handling. I have ordered some for each of my cars. (Eryx, TE with V2 Rack,Mono motor mount). I'd say they are a great tuning option, I have seem other guys trying the ARC, Tamiya, and RDS(i think) springs, each seem to offer something different. But I am not the one to ask about them.Id ask Johnny Wishbone on those. Enjoy

Nick K
Phoenix82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:41 PM   #6193
Tech Regular

How do I get steering inte the middle of the corner and out with this car? Ive tried various setups including the ones from team driver and it behaves the same. The car gets into the corner ok but then it is stuck. Im using Fischers Snowbird setup but with a gear diff up front and without arm sweep to get more steering out of the corner.

I tried a friends Tamiya 418 five laps with unsauced tires and a lipo that already run five minutes and immedieately drove whitin 1/10 of my own best lap with my Eryx. It had a lot more roll, grip and steering. Were using the same tires (LRP CPX) and additive.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:44 AM   #6194
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Generally for TCs (I don't run serpent): Simplest thing to try would be .5mm more front droop (lower number on the gauge). If you like that, try another .5mm all around. If the car isn't responding to other changes, droop is often to blame. Other easy things to try are laying the front shocks down a hole, and/or standing the rear shocks up a hole. If you lose turn-in, try going up a small step in front shock oil. If you lose on-power steering due to added front droop, try going thicker on the rear diff oil.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #6195
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Generally for TCs (I don't run serpent): Simplest thing to try would be .5mm more front droop (lower number on the gauge). If you like that, try another .5mm all around. If the car isn't responding to other changes, droop is often to blame. Other easy things to try are laying the front shocks down a hole, and/or standing the rear shocks up a hole. If you lose turn-in, try going up a small step in front shock oil. If you lose on-power steering due to added front droop, try going thicker on the rear diff oil.

-Mike
Mmm, droop can be a very powerful tool. I will try some things. Thanks!