R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #6076
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
Thanks for the Answers

Maybe someone can give me an working spur-gear/pinion combination in 64dp which can be used for an fdr between 4.0-5.0 ?
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...ng-Springs.pdf
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:38 AM   #6077
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to #iZzy Send a message via MSN to #iZzy Send a message via Yahoo to #iZzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Thanks for that, but is it really so that all these combinations will fit? don't wanna order some spurgears/pinions and then i have problem to get them in the car
Old 12-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #6078
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by #iZzy View Post
Thanks for that, but is it really so that all these combinations will fit? don't wanna order some spurgears/pinions and then i have problem to get them in the car
With the V3 motor mount most combos will fit. For 64dp I'd go with the smallest spur 96t and get a range of pinions say 40-47. However IMO 48dp is better for blinky go with a 70t spur and a range of pinions 28-35.
Serpent Viper 977e, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent 411 4.0 Eryx, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.0, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #6079
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

HI! I purchased a used S411 kit from the internet and currently run the car in the USVTA category. I race at Horsham RC raceway (if anyone knows it) which is a carpeted indoor track. My question is a pretty easy one, I think:

I had the car set up buy the other gentleman who runs a Serpent, but I cannot seem to get the nose to bite like his does. I think it might be my shock oil. I need recommendations on shock oil. I just got the orange and white springs for the front and rear, and have the stock 1.4 MM rear anti-roll bar.

What does everyone recommend for a mid to high bite carpet track?

Thanks a million!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #6080
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez83 View Post
HI! I purchased a used S411 kit from the internet and currently run the car in the USVTA category. I race at Horsham RC raceway (if anyone knows it) which is a carpeted indoor track. My question is a pretty easy one, I think:

I had the car set up buy the other gentleman who runs a Serpent, but I cannot seem to get the nose to bite like his does. I think it might be my shock oil. I need recommendations on shock oil. I just got the orange and white springs for the front and rear, and have the stock 1.4 MM rear anti-roll bar.

What does everyone recommend for a mid to high bite carpet track?

Thanks a million!
Orange front is way to hard! If using Serpent springs go with Black/Gray. combo.
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #6081
Tech Regular

THANKS!!

And what weight oil should I use with the black/gray combo?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #6082
Tech Addict

Quote:
THANKS!!

And what weight oil should I use with the black/gray combo?
Start with 3x1 piston front and rear 500 cst oil.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #6083
Tech Regular

Great. Thank you. Do you think I need to use the 1.2 mm rear anti-roll bar? The other Serpent car has it, or should I just loosen the 1.4 to free it up some?
Sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm new to 4wd TC cars having grown up racing 1/12 in the mid-90's.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #6084
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Great. Thank you. Do you think I need to use the 1.2 mm rear anti-roll bar? The other Serpent car has it, or should I just loosen the 1.4 to free it up some?
Sorry, I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm new to 4wd TC cars having grown up racing 1/12 in the mid-90's.
It sounds like you're looking for more steering, so you should stick with the 1.4mm for now and try different spring combos as suggested above.

The anti-roll bar should always be completely free! The tightness is not intended as a handling adjustment; any binding will result in weird tweak problems.

I would suggest making one change at a time, so you can get a feel for what it does. Maybe start with your current setup and try going softer on the front spring one step at a time.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #6085
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
I had also the problem some shocks didnít move freely! But then I remembered that I changed the o-rings only on two shocks since I didnít have more at home at that moment. So I opened all four and compared them! They were of different size just by looking at them you could see the outer diameter was bigger!

The clear O-rongs can be of different size, depending of the badge you got them from. The slightly bigger o-rings came with the ERYX kit (one of the first ones!) Later when I purchased more of them they were all the same.

The problem was when I tightened the lower cap the o-ring got compressed too much and it bind the shock shaft!
You were ringt in the analysis that it is the O-ring. I opened three packages of o-rings and I got one out of 24 that runns smoth. I wounder what batch I got of the o-rings.. But also that I got in the kit. I will try to send a mail to Serpent to see what they have to say.
Linguster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #6086
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
It sounds like you're looking for more steering, so you should stick with the 1.4mm for now and try different spring combos as suggested above.

The anti-roll bar should always be completely free! The tightness is not intended as a handling adjustment; any binding will result in weird tweak problems.

I would suggest making one change at a time, so you can get a feel for what it does. Maybe start with your current setup and try going softer on the front spring one step at a time.

Cool. I'll put 500 cst oil in all 4 shocks at use the black/gray spring combo. Whoever owned the car before me has the front shock oil thicker than the rear. You pro's have been a big help!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #6087
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Yes stick with 1.4mm rear (long version). Currently we are driving high bite carpet and 1.6mm rear works very good (Asmer set-up ETS). I don't know why but it never felt good with thinner ARB's at the rear. I used 1.2 and 1.3 but always went back to 1.4 on asphalt medium grip track!

As with the o-rings in my diffs I ditched the x-ring and went with o-rings from ARC R10 #104006. If you use the x-ring from serpent you have to change them frequently since they swell from the silicon oil and start to bind and you get inconsistent diff action! This was also the info from Ehrbar (co-designer of the S411) on the ETS! So I will probably try the o-rings from ARC R10 #104002 for the shocks too see how they work.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #6088
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

In the search for steering I have found running the rear shocks on the inside hole on the arm to work very well. I used to run this on an old xray T3 and it's a tip from the hudy tuning guide.

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #6089
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Have any of you guys driven the S411 FF car ? I started running my current S411 in rubber t/c instead of USGT. The USGT rules allow a FF car to run at 1200 grams compared to 1450 grams for the 4wd model. Do you think at the lighter weight one would be competetive ? The class runs a blinky 21.5. and spec 24mm ride tires ? Would i be able to get one that light with a 2S shorty ?

Mike
miket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #6090
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket3 View Post
Have any of you guys driven the S411 FF car ? I started running my current S411 in rubber t/c instead of USGT. The USGT rules allow a FF car to run at 1200 grams compared to 1450 grams for the 4wd model. Do you think at the lighter weight one would be competetive ? The class runs a blinky 21.5. and spec 24mm ride tires ? Would i be able to get one that light with a 2S shorty ?

Mike
I have no experience with the FF car, I did run shorty in my raincar to compensate for the heavy waterproof speedo. You will need to work on your "layout" of speedo and reciever to get the weight balance correct. I think the short was 100 grams lighter. My Eryx sits at 1335 with no weights and a 298 gram battery. I do not know what that starting point is with the FF but it might be duable to get to 1200ish
Linguster is offline   Reply With Quote