R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #46
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

some news : Price is bester than XRAY & TAMIYA
& next month will have update detail parts !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #47
Tech Addict

Default SERPENT S411 ARRIVAL

Well the new so far has been very good.
Pricing is being worked out and it might surprise some when confirmed. Spares also will be better supported for both myself and to customers.

More information closer to mid/late March.

Updates here as they come to light and on the eStore page for the S411.

Cheers

Ren
www.rabhobbies.com.au
venom54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #48
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
some news : Price is bester than XRAY & TAMIYA
& next month will have update detail parts !
bester, you mean cheaper or more expensive ?

sorry dumb question, just curious ..
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #49
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I got to fondle one of the demo cars yesterday, in anticipation for a local toy fair.
Some parts of it look very impressive, with some parts looking rough. As its just a display model, hopefully Serpent keep the good bits and improve on the rough bits.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:42 AM   #50
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
I remember all of this and I still can feel the vibe. What I did not know was that Serpent announced that they would no longer support the car. I thought they quietly brushed it aside while ignoring calls from those wondering what was going on.
Yes, I got this impression too, it was kept quiet from the general public that the car would no longer be supported, team drivers either not knowing this too, or they knew and were maybe advised not to tell anyone, other team drivers leaving the team (and more than likely for this very reason!)

Certainly NOT the way to treat loyal paying customers when they spend a lot of money on a chassis... Disgusting imo.

Very glad I did not get sucked into buying one.

Regardless of who you are in life, if you are not careful with what you do, your history can a habit of coming back to bite you!

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
Yes, I got this impression too, it was kept quiet from the general public that the car would no longer be supported, team drivers either not knowing this too, or they knew and were maybe advised not to tell anyone, other team drivers leaving the team (and more than likely for this very reason!)

Certainly NOT the way to treat loyal paying customers when they spend a lot of money on a chassis... Disgusting imo.

Very glad I did not get sucked into buying one.

Regardless of who you are in life, if you are not careful with what you do, your history can a habit of coming back to bite you!
That's funny, I'm a team driver and that is not what happened to me nor is what I was told. The truth has been said at least twice on the Serpent S400 thread. It was a supply issue from a source who was no longer willing to produce the parts, they owned the molds or at least had possession of them.

Think about it, why would a company venture into a new scale, produce parts, including designing molds=very expensive, hire pro drivers, then for no good reason pull the plug on a winning successful car. Then redesign the car again, again making new molds. You guys keep talking like it was some big conspiracy to get you to buy the car and then stop supporting to screw you over, it wasn't. BTW since this happened a different group makes the current parts for the newer cars and parts are in good supply.

Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendcool View Post
bester, you mean cheaper or more expensive ?

sorry dumb question, just curious ..

price is lower !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #53
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman View Post
It was a supply issue from a source who was no longer willing to produce the parts, they owned the molds or at least had possession of them.
It seems like they would have been about getting their molds back so they could continue with a new source. Sure I dont understand the workings of production, so there must be something there that I cant see, but thats what you would think would have happened.

Quote:
Think about it, why would a company venture into a new scale, produce parts, including designing molds=very expensive, hire pro drivers, then for no good reason pull the plug on a winning successful car.
This is all water under the bridge now and I can see that you are tired of explaining what happened, but it does not change the fact that a lot of drivers bought kits, loved them, raced them, and then had to abandon them for lack of parts support. So now that number of drivers plus all of their buddies who saw it happen are once bitten twice shy.

Quote:
Then redesign the car again, again making new molds. You guys keep talking like it was some big conspiracy to get you to buy the car and then stop supporting to screw you over, it wasn't.
I never felt that way, but I did feel left in the dark about why I couldnt get arms and C carriers, and it was an odd situation in the market. I think it serves as testament both to the greatness of the S400 characteristics and the irony of the failed parts support that there is a whole thread on here devoted to finding alternative parts to support the chassis. I have even seen them on there begging the exotek guy to make replacement chassis and topdecks for it. They didnt want their car to die but it was not looking good. The thing that makes me happiest about the S411 is the possibility that some of the parts appear to be compatible to help me sustain my old car.
Its all done now. X-ray drivers have gone through two or more generations of their car since this happened.

Quote:
BTW since this happened a different group makes the current parts for the newer cars and parts are in good supply.

Steve
Thats good to hear. I loved the kit and I look forward to having my faith in Serpent restored.

BTW. If the price is right I am still game.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #54
Tech Elite

Quote:
It seems like they would have been about getting their molds back so they could continue with a new source. Sure I dont understand the workings of production, so there must be something there that I cant see, but thats what you would think would have happened.

Believe me Serpent tried. The other company (with the molds) would not give them back, at least that is what I was told. I do know that Serpent tried to reach an agreement with them about making the parts available, and that they had a tentative agreement in place at one point, but then it fell apart again (at least this is what I was told). That took quite some time to get that close to a solution. I believe that is why so much time past when not much was being talked about. The agreement was being discussed for awhile.

Steve

Last edited by corallyman; 02-23-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Snoopyrc,

Let me say that I have read many of your posts, I really don't remember disagreeing with any of them, you tend to speak well and compose sound questions. I also think that you deserve to know what is going on, I have no issue at all with anything you have said.

My only little gripe is with other people who may think or feel they know exactly what happened and they really don't. Heck, I probably only know half of what went on. If someone posts something strongly enough even it is only half truth and built on speculation then much damage to a companies reputation can occur. I believe Serpent knows all of this, and they do have some work to get back their loyal customers, some may choose not to come back at all. But for someone to make it sound like they neglected thier customers willingly and with no regard, that I do have an issue with, you can understand that I'm sure.

I look forward to running an S411, and I will get one asap. I will then help anyway I can to support the car.

Steve
Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'm buying one

The car looks very good so only time will tell. Yeah it looks similar to other sedans on the market but so what. All classes of cars migrate to what ever the lastest proven design is. All 8th scale buggies look alike for the most part also but each one has unique design features that separate it from the competitor. You like buy it, if you don't like don't buy it. It's really that simple
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #57
Tech Champion

Quote:
That's funny, I'm a team driver and that is not what happened to me nor is what I was told. The truth has been said at least twice on the Serpent S400 thread. It was a supply issue from a source who was no longer willing to produce the parts, they owned the molds or at least had possession of them.

Think about it, why would a company venture into a new scale, produce parts, including designing molds=very expensive, hire pro drivers, then for no good reason pull the plug on a winning successful car. Then redesign the car again, again making new molds. You guys keep talking like it was some big conspiracy to get you to buy the car and then stop supporting to screw you over, it wasn't. BTW since this happened a different group makes the current parts for the newer cars and parts are in good supply.

Steve
The conspiracy was made probably because most people never knew the truth until it was too late (they found out the car would no longer be supported).

IMO, I do not think Serpent let its customers know early enough, hence the whispers started and only then did the truth come out.

I know of 2 UK team drivers who had supply issues with parts, (1 buying used car/s off ebay to use the parts from, being one example) which eventually, gave them no choice but to abandon the car.

The s400 was not very old, and this was probably the main contributary issue to why people were upset/angry about the parts not being available.

On a positive note, I hope Serpent do find a way to make the s401 as, or more popular as the s400, in a time where there is a resession and money is tight, especially when a lot of people have less disposable income - in times like these, people will remember what happened in the past with the s400 - and in a roundabout way, that's all i'm saying.

i'll leave it at that...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The thing at the time was, the local Serpent nut, the guy who always is wearing the Serpent shirt or hat and has Serpent Stickers all over his pit boxes; this is the guy who told me that Serpent gave up on the car because it didnt work. That didnt make sense to me because I loved it so much. Hot asphalt or winter carpet the setup was pretty neutral with few changes. I always felt like I knew what the car would do and all I had to do was worry about how I pointed it.

Now I am the first to admit that I am not and never will be A main Snowbird material. I am usually thrilled to even place at a club race, so I figure that maybe I am just not capable of pushing the car hard enough to reveal the weaknesses that they said were there, but that I never experienced. Do you get where I am coming from?

I am hoping that the Arms, C's, and steering knuckles will all be compatible with the S400. Oh and drive train. If I can replace the high risk components and the drivetrain stuff that just eventually wears out, then I can use my 400 for VTA and maybe get the 411 for something rougher.

I hope the price is not insane because I am actually starting to get excited about this car.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #59
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I am hoping that the Arms, C's, and steering knuckles will all be compatible with the S400. Oh and drive train. If I can replace the high risk components and the drivetrain stuff that just eventually wears out, then I can use my 400 for VTA and maybe get the 411 for something rougher.
The lower arms are not the same. The rollbar is connected to a different place in the arms (more like the TC6). Check the images.
Storm_PT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Either the BD5 world spec or the 411 in April
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote