R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #5491
Tech Champion
 
FastPete's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,202
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

I have a 2.0 want to pick up some pinions. I think it comes with a 48P 84T spur. Im going to run a 10.5 boosted. On ashfault about a 180ft straight, LH track in Joliet, IL. What handful of pinions should I pick up to start with?

Thanks
__________________
Authorized Dealer for /Agama / Tekno / Team Associated / Schelle / Hobbywing / PT Racing Shock & Diff oil / Serpent / Tekin / JConcepts / AKA / Proline / Savox / M2C / Picco / www.fiercercsolutions.com Like us on facebook www.facebook.com/FierceRCSolutions
FastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #5492
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Can anyone share there experiences on carpet when starting with a new carpet and then progressing up to high traction as the event wears on. We have a brand new CRC rug coming for AOC and i have zero experience on carpet. By the sounds of it there could be up to 200 racers attending the event which will have Ride as the spec tyre. Any advice on goop as well would be appreciated. Unfortunately some of the more readily available treatments in the US are a bit hard to come by down here. I have not been able to find SXT or sticky fingers down here.
Since no-one else has answered you, I'll throw out some debatably useful stuff.

Grip will probably come up pretty quick. I'd guess by the end of the first full day of running. I've gone through new carpet once and new layouts a few times at the club level, but never something like snowbirds or IIC with totally virgin carpet getting mobbed by a ton of people, so I could be off. In any case, new carpet that hasn't gripped up feels more like asphalt: very low grip, but very consistent regardless of line. It's kinda fun. Don't tune your car during this phase. Just keep a base setup and concentrate on learning the layout. You'll probably want/need to sauce the living crap out of your tires during this stage.

As grip comes up, it'll also get more of a distinct groove. The darker / grippier the groove gets, the starker the contrast in grip level between being in and out of the groove will be. On carpet, it's absolutely critical to drive clean and stay in the groove. You may only miss the apex by a couple car widths, but that can put you out on a very slippery part of the track. Getting out of the groove can also get your tires dirty in a hurry, too.

Sauce: Are you restricted? Is it a Jack / SXT 3.0 / Sticky Fingers situation? I haven't tried Sticky Fingers, but I prefer Jack over SXT 3.0. I find SXT to be overly aggressive during warmup and the first few laps, making it very hard to settle into a good run. Jack seems less aggressive up front, but more consistent over the whole run. I have to tip-toe for a lap or two in warm-up, then I'm good to go.

When you clean the tires, don't forget to clean the sidewalls. Check your glue seams religiously.

Setup: I don't know anything about the Eryx specifically. But if you find yourself starting to traction roll, try: less droop, similar droop front and rear instead of more in the rear, and moving weight forward in the chassis. Also, saucing less than the full front tire can work wonders. In general, use less dual rate and set up the chassis for better rotation. If you understeer, or your back end is too planted, you'll use more steering lock, and then you'll flip. You'll also scrub too much corner speed. Understeer + too much lock will also make your car do weird things on corner exit as you get on the power, and really hurt your consistency.

Carpet won't rip the crap out of your tires like asphalt can if you push the front tires hard on corner entry. However, pipes will rip the crap out of your car if you have too much initial steering and nose into the barriers.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #5493
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Since no-one else has answered you, I'll throw out some debatably useful stuff.

Grip will probably come up pretty quick. I'd guess by the end of the first full day of running. I've gone through new carpet once and new layouts a few times at the club level, but never something like snowbirds or IIC with totally virgin carpet getting mobbed by a ton of people, so I could be off. In any case, new carpet that hasn't gripped up feels more like asphalt: very low grip, but very consistent regardless of line. It's kinda fun. Don't tune your car during this phase. Just keep a base setup and concentrate on learning the layout. You'll probably want/need to sauce the living crap out of your tires during this stage.

As grip comes up, it'll also get more of a distinct groove. The darker / grippier the groove gets, the starker the contrast in grip level between being in and out of the groove will be. On carpet, it's absolutely critical to drive clean and stay in the groove. You may only miss the apex by a couple car widths, but that can put you out on a very slippery part of the track. Getting out of the groove can also get your tires dirty in a hurry, too.

Sauce: Are you restricted? Is it a Jack / SXT 3.0 / Sticky Fingers situation? I haven't tried Sticky Fingers, but I prefer Jack over SXT 3.0. I find SXT to be overly aggressive during warmup and the first few laps, making it very hard to settle into a good run. Jack seems less aggressive up front, but more consistent over the whole run. I have to tip-toe for a lap or two in warm-up, then I'm good to go.

When you clean the tires, don't forget to clean the sidewalls. Check your glue seams religiously.

Setup: I don't know anything about the Eryx specifically. But if you find yourself starting to traction roll, try: less droop, similar droop front and rear instead of more in the rear, and moving weight forward in the chassis. Also, saucing less than the full front tire can work wonders. In general, use less dual rate and set up the chassis for better rotation. If you understeer, or your back end is too planted, you'll use more steering lock, and then you'll flip. You'll also scrub too much corner speed. Understeer + too much lock will also make your car do weird things on corner exit as you get on the power, and really hurt your consistency.

Carpet won't rip the crap out of your tires like asphalt can if you push the front tires hard on corner entry. However, pipes will rip the crap out of your car if you have too much initial steering and nose into the barriers.

-Mike
All good advice.

I'll add to that and say, as for a starting setup, Fischers DHI/ETS carpet setup would be the best base to go from, IMO. His car obviously worked very well at those races (on two quite different tyres including the Ride32's), so shows it's pretty good baseline.
For high traction, seemingly the general consensus is to go with soft springs, but heavy oil, to help the car roll and stop initial rolls. I think the only thing I might change from those settings to start with would be slightly narrower rear blocks, but a wide rear will also stop the car biting and rolling. Also don't overlook the bump steer spacers to help take away mid-corner bite, and saucing less than full front width can be a useful tuning aid if struggling.

As for additive, I'd also throw in the the ring LRP Carpet2, seems more popular in the ETS style events than SXT or Jack, from what I can tell.

Pretty much the above is what I'll be starting out with at that event I think!

HiH
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #5494
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 161
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default VTA setup for S411

Does anyone have a setup sheet for Vintage Trans Am that they can point me to.

Thank you
trailblazer04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:28 AM   #5495
Tech Master
 
Benzaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,966
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good oring for the new short shocks? Mines are now leaking like crazy. Another racer at my track is experiencing the same issue.
__________________
AERCCC - ARCR - RRCSA

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:02 AM   #5496
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Melbourne,Australia
Posts: 333
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good oring for the new short shocks? Mines are now leaking like crazy. Another racer at my track is experiencing the same issue.
Are you using the clear serpent orings?
__________________
ARC R10/2015 - HOBBYWING - PROAMPS - ORCA

BRCCC
elche_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #5497
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good oring for the new short shocks? Mines are now leaking like crazy. Another racer at my track is experiencing the same issue.
I'm using the clear o-rings from RCM shocks http://www.serpent.com/product/160110/ like TryHard suggested and no leaking after 20 packs! The black o-rings seem to get hard after a while and start to leak on all ERYX's I seen
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:36 AM   #5498
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good oring for the new short shocks? Mines are now leaking like crazy. Another racer at my track is experiencing the same issue.
What these two say

Quote:
Originally Posted by elche_83 View Post
Are you using the clear serpent orings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
I'm using the clear o-rings from RCM shocks http://www.serpent.com/product/160110/ like TryHard suggested and no leaking after 20 packs! The black o-rings seem to get hard after a while and start to leak on all ERYX's I seen
HiH
Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #5499
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 744
Default

I had some time on low to medium grip asphalt tracks with my new ERYX and it feels good so far.

The only thing that bothers me is a little too much steering mid and exit of corner. This seems to happen only off power. When I get on power the rear is planted again!

It look's something like this: Entering the corner the car is pushing a little ... then as I want to ''cruise'' through the corner suddenly the over-steer happens then I apply power and the grip on the rear ''comes back''.

Now I was thinking maybe something with the diff or the track width? My setup was nothing freaky different from what the most drivers are doing. Only thing is 4mm bump steer like Ed is using it but gone to 2mm with no major improvement.

Maybe some suggestions in which direction to look?

Thanks
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #5500
Tech Elite
 
LOW ET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: cleveland, ohio
Posts: 2,485
Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
I had some time on low to medium grip asphalt tracks with my new ERYX and it feels good so far.

The only thing that bothers me is a little too much steering mid and exit of corner. This seems to happen only off power. When I get on power the rear is planted again!

It look's something like this: Entering the corner the car is pushing a little ... then as I want to ''cruise'' through the corner suddenly the over-steer happens then I apply power and the grip on the rear ''comes back''.

Now I was thinking maybe something with the diff or the track width? My setup was nothing freaky different from what the most drivers are doing. Only thing is 4mm bump steer like Ed is using it but gone to 2mm with no major improvement.

Maybe some suggestions in which direction to look?

Thanks
what oil are you running in your diff?
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #5501
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
I had some time on low to medium grip asphalt tracks with my new ERYX and it feels good so far.

The only thing that bothers me is a little too much steering mid and exit of corner. This seems to happen only off power. When I get on power the rear is planted again!

It look's something like this: Entering the corner the car is pushing a little ... then as I want to ''cruise'' through the corner suddenly the over-steer happens then I apply power and the grip on the rear ''comes back''.

Now I was thinking maybe something with the diff or the track width? My setup was nothing freaky different from what the most drivers are doing. Only thing is 4mm bump steer like Ed is using it but gone to 2mm with no major improvement.

Maybe some suggestions in which direction to look?

Thanks
Can you post the rest of the setup?
One of things I'm finding with this car is it does react very well to even small changes, so it maybe a case of making a few small tweaks and then it helps to reduce that snap.

Ed
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 PM   #5502
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 744
Default

This is what I was running. Front I used the Spool so don't bother the 500cst oil in the editable sheet.

Thanks for help!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf setup.pdf (356.0 KB, 110 views)
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #5503
Tech Regular
 
Ryan Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 258
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Ryan Maker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
This is what I was running. Front I used the Spool so don't bother the 500cst oil in the editable sheet.

Thanks for help!
Hi Geberit,

I had a look at your setup, looks really similar to what I used to run and I found it doing what you're describing. Basically I would consider changing the following:

- FR Split blocks to 1.5
- Front shocks to hole 4
- Rear Shocks Hole 2-4 (see what you like best)
- Rear diff to 2,000

This should give you more turn in and stop the front diving mid corner, hence less mid steering. And more exit steering and forward traction. Should just be more consistent throughout the whole corner. With the rear shocks, hole 2 will be smoother and more rotation off power. Hole 4 should give more aggression and less rotation, just see what you like. I've never used Ride Blue before, at the moment I use Yokomo Pink Front and Blue Rear with a lot of success. But also HPI Silver Front and Rear is always safe, so feel free to play with springs.

Hope this helps!
Ryan.
__________________
Awesomatix - Muchmore - Silverback - Roche - Radtec - LeeSpeed - Protoform - Futaba - Hiro Seiko - SG PitDesign

RC MAKER - www.rcmaker.com.au
Ryan Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #5504
Tech Addict
 
Geberit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Maker View Post
Hi Geberit,

I had a look at your setup, looks really similar to what I used to run and I found it doing what you're describing. Basically I would consider changing the following:

- FR Split blocks to 1.5
- Front shocks to hole 4
- Rear Shocks Hole 2-4 (see what you like best)
- Rear diff to 2,000

This should give you more turn in and stop the front diving mid corner, hence less mid steering. And more exit steering and forward traction. Should just be more consistent throughout the whole corner. With the rear shocks, hole 2 will be smoother and more rotation off power. Hole 4 should give more aggression and less rotation, just see what you like. I've never used Ride Blue before, at the moment I use Yokomo Pink Front and Blue Rear with a lot of success. But also HPI Silver Front and Rear is always safe, so feel free to play with springs.

Hope this helps!
Ryan.
Thanks Ryan,

will follow your suggestions!

I have the Yok springs Blue/Pink kombo at home so will give it a go.

Lojz
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #5505
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,171
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
This is what I was running. Front I used the Spool so don't bother the 500cst oil in the editable sheet.

Thanks for help!
Totally agree with what Ryan has said, he knows his shizzle. Just to expand on a couple of points from my experience;

Hole 3 in the rear seems to be a really good starting point, so I would try 4f 3r to start out, especially on the Ride Blues.
2K in the rear diff will help to smooth the car out, and take away some off power steering, whilst gaining on-power. I actually use 3K now when the traction gets up.
Going to a 1.5 FR split block will, as mentioned, help to take away mid-corner. Bare in mind it also lengthens the wheelbase a little, and adjusts the ackerman... all which contribute, IMO, to make the car more consistent through the turn. This weekend I actually went to 1.5/1.5 front blocks, and really liked how that felt, as it gained more initial... so worth trying that as well.

Had another good weekend at the track this week, didn't change too much on the car, as overall quite happy with my base setup now.
Main tweaks I made during the day were;

Springs - Switched to HPI silvers, as the Ride Greens were causing the car to stop mid corner. Did think about going to the Blues instead, but have been meaning to try out silvers for a while. It's interesting, but thats the first time in a long time that I've felt happy with the car on Silvers.
Front blocks - As mentioned above switched to 1.5/1.5 blocks to take out the arm sweep. Gained initial, and seemed more consistent to drive through the corners.
Front wheelbase - Prior to playing with the front blocks, I also lengthened the front wheelbase, going to a 1.5mm shim in front of the arm to match the wheelbase of the straight arms. Felt it was an improvement over shorter, but hard to put my finger on why...
Motor mount - Still running the one-piece with L-bracket, without any rear screws in the top (option 2 in the Eryx manual). However something I wanted to try for a while was something I had spotted on the Yokomo and Tamiya Raceberry cars.. and that was using a set screw, rather than a normal countersunk screw in the bottom. Now, I only use the front screw when running that mount anyway, so just locktited a 8mm setscrew in place of that. Did the change mid run, so got a good feel for it. It actually helped to tighten the rear of the car up a little, but not as much as say switching to the option 2 mount style. So I think that it's a good compromise between the option 1 and option 2, and a handy tweak to bare in mind. Will be staying like this for the time being I think

Anyway, next time out, I've got a few things to try... Wider front and rear suspension blocks, Yok springs (again), and also give the split rear blocks a try in combination with the wider blocks... it's a never ending list, but now I feel like I've got a good handle on what does what with the car, so can tune it as I need.

Setup attached
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-img_4459.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EC - Logan 05May13.pdf (227.2 KB, 89 views)
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | Hobbywing |

Last edited by TryHard; 05-06-2013 at 06:48 AM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:02 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0