R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 AM   #5476
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bit of a mixed bag of a weekend. Had a local interclub event, with blinky 10.5 on saturday, and mod on sunday. Certainly learnt a lot more about the car (and also that I really need to stop being so thrifty with tyres!), and made good progress with settings.

Saturday was a nightmare, couldn't get the car anywhere close to the pace, and ended up taking huge swings trying to guess a setup... turns out the tyres I thought were ok, were obviously anything but (harsh lesson learned, really should know better by now!), and switching out to new boots really helped out. But even then, I was struggling with the car having too much mid-corner rear grip, making it really hard to hold the line into the turns. Tried a lot of things solve that including rear shock position, motor mount, diff oils, rear droop and so on. By the end of the day, I was getting a bit desperate, and ended going for broke and shoving a single piece rear suspension block on the car, as a Tamiya driving friend had done similar, and found a lot of steering.
I honestly wasn't expecting a big change, but this gave some really great results. Instantly gained a lot of steering, and now could actually drive the car on the throttle in the higher speed corners, without having to wait for the mid-corner wash out to finish. Instantly found a lot of lap time, and the whole balance of the car was better... and that was the end of saturday.

Sunday was mod, and I kept the same settings on the car. Car was straight away much more on the pace, now consistently getting 19s laps, where I had always struggled before. Interestingly, with the more powerful motor, actually felt like that the car was now squaring up too quickly out of the turn. Made a couple of tweaks to try and make it smoother, and going from 2k to 3k in the rear diff seemed to help the most. Lowering the rear shocks one hole was a bit of a step too far.. fast, but on edge to drive on a track that needs to flow. Maybe with more practise (or a thumb transplant ), I could hang on to it.. but overall, happy with the progress, and posted my fastest laps I've done at that track.

Actually race result was a bit of a wash out... got third in the first main, whilst the second had a transmitter issue meaning I was getting moving neutral (), and then stripped the gears in the diff in the third. Oh well... sometimes those days happen!

Ended up on the following setup, main changes were;
Droop - running a bigger split, by reducing front droop to 6 (from 5)
Diff - 3k instead of 2k
Rear shocks - Hole 3 instead of 2
Rear block to a one-piece
Shocks to 500wt oil, Ride Green Springs

Next time out I want to give the Ride blue's a try out again, and also give the option 1 (single screw) motor mount another go. Also need to test out top-decks again (braced v standard), as that kinda got lost in the mire of changes on saturday, and with the stripped rear diff, didn't get to test it out after racing on sunday. At least my list is a little smaller
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EC - SEQInterclub1 - 21Apr13.pdf (226.5 KB, 75 views)
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #5477
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Bit of a mixed bag of a weekend. Had a local interclub event, with blinky 10.5 on saturday, and mod on sunday. Certainly learnt a lot more about the car (and also that I really need to stop being so thrifty with tyres!), and made good progress with settings.

Saturday was a nightmare, couldn't get the car anywhere close to the pace, and ended up taking huge swings trying to guess a setup... turns out the tyres I thought were ok, were obviously anything but (harsh lesson learned, really should know better by now!), and switching out to new boots really helped out. But even then, I was struggling with the car having too much mid-corner rear grip, making it really hard to hold the line into the turns. Tried a lot of things solve that including rear shock position, motor mount, diff oils, rear droop and so on. By the end of the day, I was getting a bit desperate, and ended going for broke and shoving a single piece rear suspension block on the car, as a Tamiya driving friend had done similar, and found a lot of steering.
I honestly wasn't expecting a big change, but this gave some really great results. Instantly gained a lot of steering, and now could actually drive the car on the throttle in the higher speed corners, without having to wait for the mid-corner wash out to finish. Instantly found a lot of lap time, and the whole balance of the car was better... and that was the end of saturday.

Sunday was mod, and I kept the same settings on the car. Car was straight away much more on the pace, now consistently getting 19s laps, where I had always struggled before. Interestingly, with the more powerful motor, actually felt like that the car was now squaring up too quickly out of the turn. Made a couple of tweaks to try and make it smoother, and going from 2k to 3k in the rear diff seemed to help the most. Lowering the rear shocks one hole was a bit of a step too far.. fast, but on edge to drive on a track that needs to flow. Maybe with more practise (or a thumb transplant ), I could hang on to it.. but overall, happy with the progress, and posted my fastest laps I've done at that track.

Actually race result was a bit of a wash out... got third in the first main, whilst the second had a transmitter issue meaning I was getting moving neutral (), and then stripped the gears in the diff in the third. Oh well... sometimes those days happen!

Ended up on the following setup, main changes were;
Droop - running a bigger split, by reducing front droop to 6 (from 5)
Diff - 3k instead of 2k
Rear shocks - Hole 3 instead of 2
Rear block to a one-piece
Shocks to 500wt oil, Ride Green Springs

Next time out I want to give the Ride blue's a try out again, and also give the option 1 (single screw) motor mount another go. Also need to test out top-decks again (braced v standard), as that kinda got lost in the mire of changes on saturday, and with the stripped rear diff, didn't get to test it out after racing on sunday. At least my list is a little smaller
If I understand correctly you used the one piece block in the front suspension at the rear mount (F/R)? Or at the rear suspension at the front mount (R/F)?

Thanks
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #5478
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
If I understand correctly you used the one piece block in the front suspension at the rear mount (F/R)? Or at the rear suspension at the front mount (R/F)?

Thanks
Rear front R/F makes sence. It will stiffen the rear and give you more steering. The rear can have to much grip. We tried the same with good result - especially on high grip tracks.
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #5479
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Rear front R/F makes sence. It will stiffen the rear and give you more steering. The rear can have to much grip. We tried the same with good result - especially on high grip tracks.
Thanks for the explanation.

This makes sense indeed, but I was not 100% sure

Heard some people talk to mount the F/R one piece that would then suite tracks with traction on the lower side ...
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:41 PM   #5480
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
The only top decks I've seen broken have been the 2.0 super flex top decks and only after some really hard crashes, but it can happen.

The ball cups will loosen up after a few runs, but helping them with a dremel is definitely a benefit.

For additional building and assembly tips go here, http://www.serpent.com/product/400013/tech-tips/

The Eryx is a very strong car as far as the plastics go and handling is as good as any other car out there.

yep, I broke a flex topdeck, was a nasty front angled crash against a brick
Car is really strong, in three months only broke the topdeck in that crash and a rear whisbone. the wishbone had a crack but i realized when i finish the leg, car was almost perfect during the run I don't know since when it was broken

Regards
jimjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #5481
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

How do the shocks compare to Schumacher and Tamiya shocks? I've only used shocks from the Mi4, TRF Special Damper Set, TC6.1, and AME T-Shox. The Mi4 ones are my favorite amongst all of those, but that's probably because I have like 20x more experience with them, and the TRF shocks didn't quite fit the Mi4 properly. The only thing I liked about the TC6.1 shocks was the bushing and screw piston mounting. The AME T-Shox were a huge disappointment, an awesome idea executed poorly.

I'm not a shock expert, though. I just drill the top caps (if they aren't already), build with the shaft all the way out, pick an oil that feels good on track, and then work on driving and other aspects of setup. What I'm looking for in a shock is something that comes out of the box with proper tolerances, good bladders, and good O-rings for low stiction while still holding oil, goes together nicely, and is low maintenance. The nut to retain the piston on the Eryx seems like it could be a good thing, making it easy to swap pistons.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #5482
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDK View Post
Yup, thats correct. Made the car turn more, but without making it too loose (like some of the other changes did). Was a good find to use, so something to really keep in mind as a tweak
Old 04-26-2013, 06:11 AM   #5483
Tech Regular

My Eryx running on a less than ideal surface. This was after a week's worth of rain so there were plenty of dust, pebbles and debris on the track.

Car set up felt good but I need to test it out on normal running conditions to see how it truly holds up.

http://www.racereadyrcs.blogspot.com...ainy-week.html
Driven with Sanwa M12
tak4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #5484
Tech Regular

My Eryx running on a less than ideal surface. This was after a week's worth of rain so there were plenty of dust, pebbles and debris on the track.

Car set up felt good but I need to test it out on normal running conditions to see how it truly holds up.

Driven with Sanwa M12
Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #5485
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak4 View Post

Wow, that track is HUGE! What motor are you running?
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #5486
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Wow, that track is HUGE! What motor are you running?
I'm using the LRP X12 5.0Turn motor coupled with the LRP Flow ESC. Running quite conservatively on boost and timing but is keeping up with the rest. 8.1 fdr and temps of 80 degrees C (170 degrees F) on hot afternoons.

Some of the other guys are running 3.5Turn motors with the Turbo boosted up all the way. The car I'm focusing on in this vid is equipped with a 3.5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMqqcU_VlM0

Crazy speeds hahaha
Driven with Sanwa M12
Old 04-27-2013, 11:08 PM   #5487
Tech Champion

Next report...

Had my worst and best night with the Eryx night, all rolled into one meeting...

Wasn't planning on racing this weekend, but by friday night I got a thumb itch, so packed up the car and headed to Wynnum. Was a little behind the 8ball, as I hadn't received the spare composite gears for my V3 diff, so had to pull the old V2 with plastic gears out of the stock car, and put that in instead. It is noticeably heavier than the new diff, and doesn't feel as smooth either, so not ideal.

Basically left the same setup on the car as from last weekends Interclub, with the exception of the diff, and going up to Ride Blues from Greens. First run in practise was pretty good, car felt fast... although ended up taking out a spur gear. No biggy, right? umm, no.... after doing another two spurs in the next three runs, I was about to pack up and head home! Thankfully, with a bit of help from my mates at the track, we traced the issue down to using stainless steel motor screws. Seems they were slipping a minute amount on the mount, specifically at the end of the main straight, where there is a bump right in the middle of a heavy braking zone. Switching back to normal kit screws, no further issues for the night.
Did try a few settings in those runs, switching back to the standard top deck from the braced version (didn't notice much difference tbh), and went back to the option 2 mount to free the rear up.
Having solved the spur stripping issue, it was the final qualifier. With the track having gripped up quite a bit, took some camber link shims out to help keep the corner speed up, as i had felt in the (very brief) first Q run, it was over-gripped. This worked well, and ended up holding the fastest lap of the leg, until the very last lap.

For the first final, put Xray 2.7 linear springs on the car. Look kinda funny with the collars wound down On track, felt smoother and easier to drive than the Ride Blues, but also felt like it wasn't quite holding the same corner speed, and maybe not quite as fast over a lap. Decided to keep them on the car for the final leg though, as I had other things I wanted to try, and having won the first final (ironically, my mate who fixed the spur stripping issue and was leading, stripped one of his own!), was in with a shout of winning a clubbie

For the last one, finally tried an item that has been sitting in my pit box for months, and that was a front gear diff. I had filled it with some mouldable ear plugs, with a drop of oil, and also used 4 steel gears for durability. It's pretty darn tight, can't turn it by hand out of the car. Had been wanting to give it a run for a long time, so threw it in and.... really quite liked it. I also made a tweak to the bump steer spacers, taking 1mm out, and that in combination with the diff, helped to make the car a little less reactive on the steering initially, whilst also getting into the succession of tight hairpins at the end of the lap better. Did give up a little of on power steering, and maybe not as good on the brakes.. although having only one screw holding the front upper bulkheads on probably didn't help there

Overall, very happy with the progress made in the past few weeks, car (and driver, albeit more slowly!) improving.

Last nights setup attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EC - BaysideClub - 27Apr13.pdf (227.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #5488
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Has anyone had a chance to try the 2.0 "Hard" chassis? is it a different weave and is it stiffer than the 2.25 chassis?

***This is in reference to the new chassis for the Eryx cars and not the 1st gen cars.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #5489
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Has anyone had a chance to try the 2.0 "Hard" chassis? is it a different weave and is it stiffer than the 2.25 chassis?

***This is in reference to the new chassis for the Eryx cars and not the 1st gen cars.
I know Ryan has tried it out here on asphalt with mixed results.
I'm lead to believe that it is a different layup, not necessarily stiffer, but gives different flex, more suited to indoor high grip carpet.
Don't have one myself yet, but its on the list too pick up.

HiH
Ed
Old 05-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #5490
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default 2.0 hard chassis

I have one coming for the up coming AOC event but our outdoor track situation is not good so not sure exactly when Im going to be able to test it outside. I have also ordered a 2.0 and 2.5mm non flex top decks so I have all the flex options.

Can anyone share there experiences on carpet when starting with a new carpet and then progressing up to high traction as the event wears on. We have a brand new CRC rug coming for AOC and i have zero experience on carpet. By the sounds of it there could be up to 200 racers attending the event which will have Ride as the spec tyre. Any advice on goop as well would be appreciated. Unfortunately some of the more readily available treatments in the US are a bit hard to come by down here. I have not been able to find SXT or sticky fingers down here.

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote