R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #5386
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
I haven't gone through and read all 359 pages on this thread obviously, so sorry if this has been covered.

Has anyone had any experience with the Serpent 411 rtr?

http://www.serpent.com/product/400007

Im fairly new to the whole touring car thing, and this looks like a fairly cheap way to get involved. Is this thing going to be even close to competitive if i was to race it on a fast outdoor track?

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim.
For starting out, that it's a pretty good package. Don't know too much about the Dragon electrics, but by all accounts, seem pretty decent and robust enough. The car itself will be more than competitive for someone just starting out (not to mention tough too) with enough tuning options so you can grow with the car as well.
The only thing, IMO, that is a negative, is that if you intend to go racing with the car, it's unlikely that the motor and esc will be legal... but there are enough cheap motor/esc combo's out there that can be used for racing, that I wouldn't worry too much. Although that is dependent on what you want to do with it.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #5387
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmah View Post
I haven't gone through and read all 359 pages on this thread obviously, so sorry if this has been covered.

Has anyone had any experience with the Serpent 411 rtr?

http://www.serpent.com/product/400007

Im fairly new to the whole touring car thing, and this looks like a fairly cheap way to get involved. Is this thing going to be even close to competitive if i was to race it on a fast outdoor track?

Any thoughts/opinions would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
For starting out, that it's a pretty good package. Don't know too much about the Dragon electrics, but by all accounts, seem pretty decent and robust enough. The car itself will be more than competitive for someone just starting out (not to mention tough too) with enough tuning options so you can grow with the car as well.
The only thing, IMO, that is a negative, is that if you intend to go racing with the car, it's unlikely that the motor and esc will be legal... but there are enough cheap motor/esc combo's out there that can be used for racing, that I wouldn't worry too much. Although that is dependent on what you want to do with it.

HiH
Ed
In addition to what Ed said, go to the Serpent site, one of the guys does a report on the S411 Sport, which is the same car, less the electronics. http://www.serpent.com/product/400006/news/
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #5388
Tech Initiate

Awesome, thanks for the info guys.

I have ordered a Xray T4 kit with all the goodies to get it going, but this is less than 1/3 of the price. That is what really got me asking whether it was all dodgy cheap stuff or not. I will probably look at getting one of these as well to practise so i dont go straight into the T4 and wreck it! haha

Thanks again gang, much appreciated.

Cheers,

Tim.
Timmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:44 AM   #5389
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Not a great night test last night, spent quite a while trying things and only really getting happy with the setting after racing (typical... ).

Anyway, on the list to test out were front blocks, and springs (again). Started out with the same setting as last time, on the Yok Springs, and in all honesty, it wasn't much cop. Track had been prepared a bit differently, and the car was hard to drive, and very nervous. Lots of steering, too much.

First change was to go from 1.5/1.0 front blocks to 2.0/1.5, so basically widening the whole front of the car. This was a helpful step forward, meaning I could lean on the front more into the turn. Still not great, with having to run little droop on the yok springs causing problems over the bumps.

I wanted to try out Ride Springs again, so switched to Ride Blue front, Green rear. However, I forgot to re-adjust the droop as well... resulting in the car doing a back flip down the back straight having hit a particularly nasty bump. Thankfully nothing broke, just lost a front body clip, not even tweaked... despite the 60ft or so flight... Finished the run, and despite a second (less spectacular) flip due to the bodyshell popping up, wasn't happy at all. Car was just too nervous for me to hang onto, couldn't be consistent with it.

Anyway, for the next run, checked the car over, and reset the droop to something more sensible (5/4.5) and it was improved. No flips, but still the balance didn't feel great. Xray 2.8f and 2.6r springs was also pretty much the same as well..

Had a little chat with Ryan Maker before the last run, and made quite a few changes. Went to 2.8's all round, along with changing the shock positions around, standing the fronts up, and dropping the rears (4F, 2R). Also went to 2.0/2.0 front suspension blocks.
In terms of balance, a good improvement, as the car could now flow through the corners much better, losing it's squaring up tendancy out of the turn.
The 2.8's did still make the car quite nervous over the bumps, so after racing I bolted on the Ride blue's front and rear. This was much better, less nervous, and I could be more consistent. If anything, now lacked a little steering.

Anyway, for the next time out, I want to try out some different shock settings, mainly 4hole pistons and heavier oils, in an attempt to reduce the pack of the shocks for better bump handling. Also want to try going back to different front blocks (namely 2.0/1.5) to see if this will help with steering, and have a few other thoughts to try out.

Setting sheet from last night attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EC-Wynnum-30Mar13.pdf (242.9 KB, 97 views)
Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #5390
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

selling a s411 roller with spares, check it out here: spring cleaning
LOW ET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #5391
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Not a great night test last night, spent quite a while trying things and only really getting happy with the setting after racing (typical... ).

Anyway, on the list to test out were front blocks, and springs (again). Started out with the same setting as last time, on the Yok Springs, and in all honesty, it wasn't much cop. Track had been prepared a bit differently, and the car was hard to drive, and very nervous. Lots of steering, too much.

First change was to go from 1.5/1.0 front blocks to 2.0/1.5, so basically widening the whole front of the car. This was a helpful step forward, meaning I could lean on the front more into the turn. Still not great, with having to run little droop on the yok springs causing problems over the bumps.

I wanted to try out Ride Springs again, so switched to Ride Blue front, Green rear. However, I forgot to re-adjust the droop as well... resulting in the car doing a back flip down the back straight having hit a particularly nasty bump. Thankfully nothing broke, just lost a front body clip, not even tweaked... despite the 60ft or so flight... Finished the run, and despite a second (less spectacular) flip due to the bodyshell popping up, wasn't happy at all. Car was just too nervous for me to hang onto, couldn't be consistent with it.

Anyway, for the next run, checked the car over, and reset the droop to something more sensible (5/4.5) and it was improved. No flips, but still the balance didn't feel great. Xray 2.8f and 2.6r springs was also pretty much the same as well..

Had a little chat with Ryan Maker before the last run, and made quite a few changes. Went to 2.8's all round, along with changing the shock positions around, standing the fronts up, and dropping the rears (4F, 2R). Also went to 2.0/2.0 front suspension blocks.
In terms of balance, a good improvement, as the car could now flow through the corners much better, losing it's squaring up tendancy out of the turn.
The 2.8's did still make the car quite nervous over the bumps, so after racing I bolted on the Ride blue's front and rear. This was much better, less nervous, and I could be more consistent. If anything, now lacked a little steering.

Anyway, for the next time out, I want to try out some different shock settings, mainly 4hole pistons and heavier oils, in an attempt to reduce the pack of the shocks for better bump handling. Also want to try going back to different front blocks (namely 2.0/1.5) to see if this will help with steering, and have a few other thoughts to try out.

Setting sheet from last night attached.
Our indoor track is a bit bumpy as well. I found that the modded pistons (drilling extra holes to make a 6 hole piston from the 3 hole) with thicker oil and soft springs worked very well for me and definitely calmed the car down without taking away the tight steering control it has. We just redid the layout and it is much tighter with several chicane style direction changes and the car handles it extremely well. I am running a wider front end like you are, but have settled on the RSD springs and have been very happy with how they feel.

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #5392
Tech Elite

Anyone happen to know off hand the bearing size for the inner front knuckle bearings with DCJ's? It is the bearing that comes with the DCJ axles and is narrower then the stock one.

Just don't have it with me and I know I need to order some.

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #5393
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

8x12 x3.5mm

Thats the size of that bearing

regards
jimjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #5394
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjav View Post
8x12 x3.5mm

Thats the size of that bearing

regards
Thank you!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #5395
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

picked up a NIB S411 Team Edition for $270.00. I figure this was a steal. Any recommendations out there for setup/changes? I am running blinky 17.5. thanks.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #5396
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've been posting my setups from the Canadian WCICS series (indoor carpet):
http://members.shaw.ca/spsoon/Steve_...onton_2012.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/spsoon/Steve_...rdrie_2012.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/spsoon/Steve_...egina_2013.pdf

They are all pretty similar, and I used Martin Crisp's Canadian Nationals setup as my starting point. Mostly spring, oil, and droop changes. I have yet to post my setup from the Calgary leg, but I'll try to do that this weekend.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #5397
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I've been posting my setups from the Canadian WCICS series (indoor carpet):
http://members.shaw.ca/spsoon/Steve_...onton_2012.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/spsoon/Steve_...rdrie_2012.pdf
http://members.shaw.ca/spsoon/Steve_...egina_2013.pdf

They are all pretty similar, and I used Martin Crisp's Canadian Nationals setup as my starting point. Mostly spring, oil, and droop changes. I have yet to post my setup from the Calgary leg, but I'll try to do that this weekend.
Thanks Steve S. appreciate it.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:33 PM   #5398
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm sorry if this has been asked... does xray steering knucles or c-hubs fit
S411 TE?
-Airtronics
1shnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #5399
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shnot View Post
S411 TE?

The outer kingpin on the xray is much larger then the Serpent one. Steering knuckle might fit with use of shims.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #5400
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shnot View Post
S411 TE?
Why would you want to do this? Do you feel the serpent parts are not up to scratch?

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote