R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #5281
Tech Elite
 
Pattojnr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 4,594
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Spare Shock kits.

Anyone thinking of getting spare shocks, there is the bottom seal cap missing from the shock sets 160124. if you are to buy some, then please add 160125 to your order so you can use your shocks.
__________________
Serpent - Walter RC
Serpent E Power ..... Serpent 747 Reds M3T
Serpent 966-TE Reds M7T .... S411ERYX Speedpassion 3.5T, T-Shox
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #5282
Tech Regular
 
rcwck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio USA
Posts: 478
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchy1986 View Post
So anyone out there running a s411 in stock 21.5??? Having trouble finding the right gear ratio! also need the gears from a supplier any info would be great thanks
Been running USGT 21.5 blinky using Serpent 92t spur with 47t pinion 64pitch and 25deg timing. Might have to ream out spur gear hole for motor screw access. Motor fan required. Wish Serpent would use a bottom motor mount slot for easier screw access ~ TC6.1
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #5283
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 121
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Finally this weekend i could have my firsts runs with the eryx, the first thoughts are really good. Track was dirty after two weeks of rain and snow, but the day was sunny and temps were around 10-12 C.
We run nonboost 10.5T with ratio 5.0 and everyone with same speedo and motor, Hobbywing justock 10.5T.

I started with the kit setup and I made some small changes, increase the wheelbase and I will need some thicker oil in the rear diff, maybe around 2k or 3k. Maybe when the temps go high i will need a thicker oil in the dumpers or maybe change from 4 to 3 holes in the pistons.

I noticed a lot of overall grip, car was really nice to drive and very quick. I also noticed that the car is quicker acelerating, the new diff helps a lot. I think that in the nationals with the nylon spool the eryx it's going to be the one to beat talking about accelerations.

cheers
jimjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #5284
Tech Adept
 
Mitchy1986's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Qld Australia
Posts: 102
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwck View Post
Been running USGT 21.5 blinky using Serpent 92t spur with 47t pinion 64pitch and 25deg timing. Might have to ream out spur gear hole for motor screw access. Motor fan required. Wish Serpent would use a bottom motor mount slot for easier screw access ~ TC6.1
got 68 spur and 40 pinion and all you do for motor mounting is mesh gears, do the right hand screw up then remove pinion gear (only 2 screws) then do the other screw up in motor and then insert the pinion back in. it makes no difference in time... i did full lipo run and motor was only warm. so will start messing with timing and get motor fan.
Mitchy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #5285
Tech Elite
 
kschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Kota Kinabalu,Sabah
Posts: 4,598
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu
Default

hi guys, anyone have problem with the shock leaking of s411 eryx?
i changed from the black o-ring that come with the kit to TE shock clear o-ring but it's still leaking.

any advise are very much appreciated.
__________________
Give the best while u can !
kschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #5286
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 88
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Hi guys. Wondering if You guys a able to provide me with some opinions.

Currently I have a Top Photon and quite happy with the car. But have the itch of getting a new car and obviously the 411v2 is being considered. The other I am considering is the xray t4.

I know opinions here will be bias but the things I like to know is if there are known issues I should be aware about if I did choose the 411. Does it actually run well in a carpet indoor track? Any parts that are slight more fragile so that I should have a few spares on hand just in case?

Also, any suggestions as to what upgrade options to pick up?

Sorry for the long post, since both chassis to me at this moment is on a rather equal ground.

Thanks guys
__________________
Serpent 966 / Serpent S120LT / Mugen MBX-6 / Tamiya 417X / Tamiya M-03 / Tamiya M-05 / Tamiya M-06 / Tamiya FF03 / Team Durango DEX210 / 3Racing F1-09 / Tamiya F104X1 / Tamiya F103GT / MST XXX VIP / Eagle Racing Gold R31
amuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #5287
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,285
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuse View Post
Hi guys. Wondering if You guys a able to provide me with some opinions.

Currently I have a Top Photon and quite happy with the car. But have the itch of getting a new car and obviously the 411v2 is being considered. The other I am considering is the xray t4.

I know opinions here will be bias but the things I like to know is if there are known issues I should be aware about if I did choose the 411. Does it actually run well in a carpet indoor track? Any parts that are slight more fragile so that I should have a few spares on hand just in case?

Also, any suggestions as to what upgrade options to pick up?

Sorry for the long post, since both chassis to me at this moment is on a rather equal ground.

Thanks guys
I'm thinking you actually mean the S411 2.0 Eryx....give this a read as it covers pretty much everything I ran into on the build. http://www.serpent.com/news/13643/Se...by-Gary-!.html

After that I can tell you that I usually run a hard front bumper, but with the 2.0 car, I have been running it in the stock form, (no hard bumper) and the re-fined arms are very, very strong. The track configuration we run here right now, has one corner thats a high risk, high reward corner, and it will take a corner off the car in a flash. The stock 2.0 car has been easier to drive so I haven't hit the corner as much, but still have hit a few times, with sustaining no damage to speak of. Same corner on my hard arm S411, a c-hub and a steering block. My friend with his xray, with a hard bumper, hard arms, has taken a front corner, rear corner, and a c-hub on the same corner. Now you could say its just the luck of the corner, but the new car is still on the original parts.

If I where to get any upgrades, I would consider the DJS axles, although I'm not happy with any of them on the market, but at least the Serpent ones aren't crazy for pricing. I would also consider white springs. The rest is really not needed from the out of the box kit.

I only run on carpet and have several hours on the new car now, other than a spring change, playing with shock angle, and rc adjustments the car is very good on carpet.

I should have a setup to share after the weekend, as its another WCIC series race for myself.

Hope that helps, anything else please feel free to ask on here, we are lucky to have a pretty good group of racers on here.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #5288
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,285
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
hi guys, anyone have problem with the shock leaking of s411 eryx?
i changed from the black o-ring that come with the kit to TE shock clear o-ring but it's still leaking.

any advise are very much appreciated.
I run the stock parts and have to admit I have a bit of leaking as well, although it hasn't impacted the shock performance, no squishy feel, no air, and when I check the level in the shock still seems okay, but the shock bottoms seem to be wet after a while. I take the shocks off and give them a cleaning just to keep it clean. I did re-polish the shafts and always use green slime on assembly, but the still get wet after a hard days run.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #5289
Tech Elite
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,292
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschu View Post
hi guys, anyone have problem with the shock leaking of s411 eryx?
i changed from the black o-ring that come with the kit to TE shock clear o-ring but it's still leaking.

any advise are very much appreciated.
Kschu,

I tried some different o rings when I first built my car. They felt smoother initially but they leaked before I could run them. I went back to the stock black o rings and they built properly and feel good now. They felt slightly tight at first but they are good now. Because there is only one sealing o ring, I think they need it to be slight tight but it will get better, mine did.

Steve
__________________
Team ORCA / ORCA USA / Pro Spec
Serpent America / Team Serpent S411 ERYX / On Point Racing OP12C, S120 / Xceed Products
Hangar 30 / Seattle RC Racers
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #5290
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuse View Post
Sorry for the long post, since both chassis to me at this moment is on a rather equal ground.
I'm in the same boat. Here's how I look at it:

S411:
+ No need to buy new springs
+ The floating servo mount looks pretty trick
+/- Chassis-mounted suspension: easy roll-center changes, but expensive and more difficult track width / rear toe changes
+ Really good support on this thread
+ A good local guy is running one
- I don't have good first-hand evidence of durability

T4:
+/- Bulkhead-ish-mounted suspension: cheap/easy track width / rear toe changes, but more PITA and less fine-grained roll center changes
+ Don't even need to buy spares up front, because Xrays are so tough.
- Need to shell out for all new tuning springs (added cost)
- Need to buy a carbon brace for the front bumper (added cost)
- Motor mount design is suspect
- Nobody in my club runs one yet (people are sticking with their T3'12s)
+ Good forum support and team driver setups.

Both cars are proven to be contenders at the highest levels of competition.

But I'm finally getting my Mi4CXL into the group of really fast locals (and goddamn do we have some fast people in the Northwest). A new car will mean starting from scratch with the tuning. And I'm also waiting to see the new Mi5. I like me some purple.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #5291
Tech Elite
 
corallyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonds, Wash
Posts: 4,292
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
I'm in the same boat. Here's how I look at it:

S411:
+ No need to buy new springs
+ The floating servo mount looks pretty trick
+/- Chassis-mounted suspension: easy roll-center changes, but expensive and more difficult track width / rear toe changes
+ Really good support on this thread
+ A good local guy is running one
- I don't have good first-hand evidence of durability

T4:
+/- Bulkhead-ish-mounted suspension: cheap/easy track width / rear toe changes, but more PITA and less fine-grained roll center changes
+ Don't even need to buy spares up front, because Xrays are so tough.
- Need to shell out for all new tuning springs (added cost)
- Need to buy a carbon brace for the front bumper (added cost)
- Motor mount design is suspect
- Nobody in my club runs one yet (people are sticking with their T3'12s)
+ Good forum support and team driver setups.

Both cars are proven to be contenders at the highest levels of competition.

But I'm finally getting my Mi4CXL into the group of really fast locals (and goddamn do we have some fast people in the Northwest). A new car will mean starting from scratch with the tuning. And I'm also waiting to see the new Mi5. I like me some purple.

-Mike
Mike,

Jeff Jenkins Jr and I are both running the car now. I have never broke a part yet on either of the 3 s411's that I have owned. The car is plenty durable. Switch cars whenever you feel is the right time or when you "need" to change cars, but this car should be in the consideration at least. Stop by my area at the.next event and you can see it in person.

Steve
__________________
Team ORCA / ORCA USA / Pro Spec
Serpent America / Team Serpent S411 ERYX / On Point Racing OP12C, S120 / Xceed Products
Hangar 30 / Seattle RC Racers
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:31 AM   #5292
Tech Master
 
Benzaah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,966
Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuse View Post
Hi guys. Wondering if You guys a able to provide me with some opinions.

Currently I have a Top Photon and quite happy with the car. But have the itch of getting a new car and obviously the 411v2 is being considered. The other I am considering is the xray t4.

I know opinions here will be bias but the things I like to know is if there are known issues I should be aware about if I did choose the 411. Does it actually run well in a carpet indoor track? Any parts that are slight more fragile so that I should have a few spares on hand just in case?

Also, any suggestions as to what upgrade options to pick up?

Sorry for the long post, since both chassis to me at this moment is on a rather equal ground.

Thanks guys
I love this VS stuff


First TOP = Poo. LOL

You'll get solid advice from the regulars on here and it has helped me a lot this past year. Garys build tips is awesome. It came online about a week too late for my initial build

The new car is tough and needs minimal upgrades if any. What's in the kit will be good but there are a few wants we all have that the kit doesn't provide. The only upgrades I would suggest is the DCJ front drive especially if you have any bumpy on power sections to your track, a 1.2 rear sway bar and maybe the 2.5 block for the rear and the 1.5 split blocks when they come out for the front. Those last two depends how loose you like your car. The new kit does need springs but if your like me you have loads of springs like Ride, HPI or Xray. I do like the ride and serpent springs but this is on asphalt.

One thing i ran out of was 0.5mm shims so stock up on them if you don't. This car reacts to small changes unlike the xray which responds a bit like a wet rag

Sorry if my opinion is biased. I am not an xray fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
I'm in the same boat. Here's how I look at it:

S411:
- I don't have good first-hand evidence of durability

Both cars are proven to be contenders at the highest levels of competition.

But I'm finally getting my Mi4CXL into the group of really fast locals (and goddamn do we have some fast people in the Northwest). A new car will mean starting from scratch with the tuning. And I'm also waiting to see the new Mi5. I like me some purple.

-Mike
Mi4CXL = Poo LOL.
Still running Spec R diffs? LOL spec r.

I hit plenty of stuff in battle, sometimes really hard. This last 12 months with the original S411 I've broken 2x hub/arm/knuckle combos and I've bent 1 hinge pin. I lost count of the parts i went thru on the CX i had. This new car has just as good a corner speed as the Schuie. The new car is much tougher.

You can always bling up a serpent with purple titanium screws and a D3.5
__________________
AERCCC - ARCR - RRCSA

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #5293
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tromso,Norway
Posts: 178
Default

Hi everyone, i was wondering about one thing, does the nylon spool hold up good this time around, or is it still very brittle like in the beginning when it came out? does it last a long time before it need's a change up?

Anders
__________________
*Sanwa M12*Hitec*
*TLR Eight 3.0*Fusion X3LFM*
Team_Elli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #5294
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 20
Default

Whichc spring do you recomende for new ERYX for outdoor? I look for HPI spring but i think it is to long. Maybe i buy serpent green 3.5 and white 2.3 and use only this and original. Which spring use Fischer in last ETS?
DomenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5295
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,285
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Elli View Post
Hi everyone, i was wondering about one thing, does the nylon spool hold up good this time around, or is it still very brittle like in the beginning when it came out? does it last a long time before it need's a change up?

Anders
The spool will work in the higher turn motors like 17.5 and up, but will still eventually ream itself out, so it will require continued checks and eventually replacement. Under a hard crash ther is good chance that they will break from the extreme angle of the axle into the spool output. I don't see a great improvement of running the nylon over the stock part, although I have more confidence in the stock piece thru a race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomenL View Post
Whichc spring do you recomende for new ERYX for outdoor? I look for HPI spring but i think it is to long. Maybe i buy serpent green 3.5 and white 2.3 and use only this and original. Which spring use Fischer in last ETS?
The stock supplied springs are good, I would also consider getting a pair of whites. This car has a more characteristic of requireing a spring split compared to the older car that liked similar springs front and rear. Remember also that the Serpent shocks still use the same springs as before, so shorter springs are not required. I think Fischer used hpi or ride springs on his setup.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Team VBC HK
Team R1WURKS
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batu Kawan Rc Track Tongga Malaysian R/C Racers 10418 06-28-2016 11:34 PM
DRCW Raceway Chesapeake, VA // Asphalt / Indoor Off Road / Outdoor Off Road stiltskin Racing Forum 10278 11-14-2014 07:39 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:07 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0