R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #5146
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I put the DJCs in my s411 not long after it was released and have only ever run my car on a dusty outdoor track. When I pull the front end apart to check bearings etc I usually just check the 'feel' of the DJCs out of the car. Every time they were nice and smooth and I ended up just putting them back in the car as.

Not sure if others give them any special attention but I found them to be reliable and maintenance free with only cosmetic wear on the pins. I did however flip the outdrives as they were starting to get a groove in them.

Regards,

Simon
Team_Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #5147
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Krusty View Post
I put the DJCs in my s411 not long after it was released and have only ever run my car on a dusty outdoor track. When I pull the front end apart to check bearings etc I usually just check the 'feel' of the DJCs out of the car. Every time they were nice and smooth and I ended up just putting them back in the car as.

Not sure if others give them any special attention but I found them to be reliable and maintenance free with only cosmetic wear on the pins. I did however flip the outdrives as they were starting to get a groove in them.

Regards,

Simon
Hi.

You need to complete rebuilt the djc axles some times. Maintenance: check often (at least every week), if there still are some grease behind the shrink foil. If not, put some black grease in. The complete rebuilt depends how often you race. We rebuilt the axles once every month. We still use the first djc axles, and they are now more than 1 year old. We race modified high level indoor as well as outdoor.

The same with the outdrives. If you don't put grease into the outdrives, you will later have problems. Use the same type of shrinking foil as for the djc axles. Put it on the outdrive and put black grease in. It will not fly out with the shrinking foil on. Again - after more than a year no wear. No sign of a scratch.
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #5148
Tech Adept

We also got the new Eryx. Wonderfull car. Really nice to built. I had a little play at the diff, but a .2 mm shim did it. And also at the spur axel I had a play. Again - .3 mm shims did it. Later I have noticed a play in the steering crancks. I have to check it.

We had a race in the weekend. The car worked really good - untill a spring support got of. None saw where it got off. No crash - just driven hard on a plastic curb. Unfortunately, we could not find it, and we had no spare. The other spring supports, we had in our bag, did not fit. After about 10 years of racing rc cars, this is the first time ever we have that probem.

We solved the problem using the tower and two complete dampers from the TE. It worked ok, but for sure we wanted to have the new dampers in all four corners.

Like Alston we had a little problem we traction roll. We need more practice with the car to find the right solution.
BCDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #5149
Tech Apprentice

Default Eryx

For those that have the Eryx, can you tell me if the C-Hubs, Steering knuckle and rear hubs are the same as the old car?
www.drcrc.ca
www.fastcats.ca
Jinjiro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #5150
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjiro7 View Post
For those that have the Eryx, can you tell me if the C-Hubs, Steering knuckle and rear hubs are the same as the old car?
They are still the Same !!
Der_Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #5151
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Mo View Post
They are still the Same !!

From what I was told, from Marc at the DHI cup, the plastic compound should be new. The new compound should cope better with wear, and is harder. The same goes for the new wishbones.

The steering knuckles are almost the same shape, only thing is the have goten a bit more "beef" around the 2 holes, were the steering links are mounted.

The C-hub and rear hub are not changed, other that the compound.

Marc also told that there will come new even harder arms, at some point in spring.

Serpent S411 - Serpent.com/2-speed.de
Hobbywing Xerun V3 and Thunder Power Z3R motors - ToniSport
RasCalDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 PM   #5152
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I got some new front arms (medium) and noticed that the inboard hinge pin holes don't quite line up perfectly. This makes the arm tight on the hinge pin, but it's pretty free to rotate in the chassis mounts, so maybe it's ok? I'm wondering if this is by design, or a molding problem with the new parts.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #5153
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasCalDK View Post

Marc also told that there will come new even harder arms, at some point in spring.
Thanks for the info that's what I wanted to know. LOL "even harder arms" won't be a wise choice here in Toronto, one of our tracks uses metal barriers for their corners.

www.drcrc.ca
www.fastcats.ca
Jinjiro7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #5154
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tahoeboy View Post
After an exhausting and mentally straining week I walked away from my first Snobird National with my head held high. This week was the 19th annual Snowbird Nationals with over 600+ entries running both onroad and oval racing this is the largest race in the world. My first experience was amazing. A lot of talented guys here and a quick reality check that I am not the fastest around. Many big names in attendance like Marc Fisher, Paul Lemieux, Josh Cyrul, Keven Hebert, Mike Haynes, Eric Anderson, Ralph Burch just to name a few. Everyone was super helpful and really friendly not one negative thing to say about this event.

I received the new Serpent Eryx this past Tuesday and stayed up the entire night building it until practice started 5:00am Wednesday. In practice I realized the car was really amazing just from using Marc Fisher setup from the last ETS race. But I also realized that the setup made quite a bit of traction which was not what we needed seeing that the traction was up quite a bit from all the racers in attendance. I struggled to get used to the new car in such a short time but I stuck with it. The car was just how I liked it early really responsive and carried great corner speed but I had traction rolling problems. I went on to do things to take the traction away from the car. I qualified originally in 30th place when I first got the car then the following qualifier I bettered it to a 22th place next qualifier I only bettered my pace by .2 tenths which didn't move me in spots what so ever. The final qualifier I knew I had to push for it all so I did as much as I could to get the car to continue to have great rotation but wanted to lose some of the grip. In my warm up laps I thought that the car felt great and just the way I liked it. In that run I bettered my pace by 12 places to place my self bottom of the A in 10th place. With the unique format here at Snowbirds, B Mains are run to see who bumps up to the A Main. So even with me being 10th in the A main I had to prove I belonged by bumping up from the B main. In the B main my car felt great unfortunately I was hit and spun out in the 7th turn of the layout causing me to fall to third and couldn't recover the lead from over 3 seconds. I had to settle for second place.
Alston,

Glad you enjoyed the Snowbirds. We missed you around here, but I took advantage of your absence and won a couple races.

I don't get why you had to bump up from the B main when you qualified 10th overall. You had several rounds to show you were 10th and a A Main driver. Then you had just one chance to make the A. That's seems unreasonable and was a bummer.

I would appreciate if you could upload a detailed set up sheet for your ERYX that was the best at the Snowbirds. I'm expecting the car soon and I would like a good 17.5 high bite carpet set up to start off correctly.

Thanks,
Klunk
rcwck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #5155
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Finished my build of Eryx yesterday. Did go together very nicely, qulaity seems to have taken a step up from when what I recall on my TE, the fit and finish just seems better.
Noticeable on the countersinking of the carbon, the screws seems to nestle better. Only issues I've had are that the tops of the layshaft mounts are ground down (nicely done, but still noticeable), and the aformentioned layshaft play. And for those who haven't read the manual (Patto? ), pic of the lower layshaft bulkheads attached.

New wishbones. Well, the new compound feels good, but the bigger difference is that the wishbones are now 0.8mm thicker, and there has been some revisions to the webbing. The photo attached shows an old Hard arm, and can see the rib closest to the outside is wider, and there is changes to the webbing elsewhere. Overall, makes the arms less twistable than the old Hards... which is good move.
As RasCalDK has already mentioned, everything else is the same, with the exception of more meet around the screw holes on the steering hubs, so everything on the new cars will fit the old

New shocks are very good, built all four and got the same rebound first time. Only thing that needs to be done is to put the bladders into the top cap first, then put on the top, and screw down a little. Then push in the shaft for rebound setting, before screwing down the top cap fully. All four feel very nice and smoth, the black o-ring seems to work rather well.
Another picture is attached, shows the difference in the new towers....

The diff is nice too, built it up as kit, didn't seem to have any play issues. It does need a little bit of breaking in, as a bit notchy at the moment, but nothing a run on it shouldn't sort out.

One thing I did have reservations on was the new servo mount, but I'm happy to say that now I'm a convert... it's very nice to be able to undo two screws, two ball joints, and then have the whole of the steering system in your hand, including the servo.... sure going to make car cleans easier!
For the time being I've put 3mm worth of bumpsteer spacers in, but I have a thought that this will be dropped back.

Overall, very happy with the kit, if the performance outdoors matches how the car has been going indoors, then it should make for a good step forward

Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-img_2383.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2388.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2395.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2400.jpg   Serpent S411-img_2401.jpg  

Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #5156
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

does anyone else find the caster block hinge pin to be.. kinda sloppy? i changed all the plastics on my mod car trying to make it better but no effect really. still feels like the pin has a little wiggle room in the caster block. i could shim it side to side for sure but still had a little wiggle. no real complaints how the car drove just a tiny annoyance but seems to be common with the touring cars ive owned so far.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 AM   #5157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
And for those who haven't read the manual (Patto? ), pic of the lower layshaft bulkheads attached.
Yeah Yeah............ all too eager to setup my battery first. i got caught out. Shocks were piece of pie also. but after a run, they may need more time given to them than previously. a build up of oil on my back shock bottoms. will check them later to see if any air is evident. i never shimmed the layshaft, didnt have any issues all day. i thaught about some shims for bump steer, but didnt touch that either. but will be something i try.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:51 AM   #5158
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
Yeah Yeah............ all too eager to setup my battery first. i got caught out. Shocks were piece of pie also. but after a run, they may need more time given to them than previously. a build up of oil on my back shock bottoms. will check them later to see if any air is evident. i never shimmed the layshaft, didnt have any issues all day. i thaught about some shims for bump steer, but didnt touch that either. but will be something i try.
I'll agree the shocks as they are atm (just built) feel really nice... but proof of the pudding will be after I've run them. If I spy any leakage, I'll be breaking out the bits in the pit box to see what I can do (probably white o-ring and shims, as before).
And I wouldn't worry too much, I built my car completely arse about face... did the chassis prep first (first car in ages I've actually sanded and CA'd), then shocks and diff... then onto the rest
Old 02-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #5159
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
I'll agree the shocks as they are atm (just built) feel really nice... but proof of the pudding will be after I've run them. If I spy any leakage, I'll be breaking out the bits in the pit box to see what I can do (probably white o-ring and shims, as before).
And I wouldn't worry too much, I built my car completely arse about face... did the chassis prep first (first car in ages I've actually sanded and CA'd), then shocks and diff... then onto the rest
i got everything built up to a point to have all turnbuckles built. i left it Friday night at that stage, and did all turnbuckles together. i enjoy every build till its turnbuckle time !
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:46 AM   #5160
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattojnr View Post
i got everything built up to a point to have all turnbuckles built. i left it Friday night at that stage, and did all turnbuckles together. i enjoy every build till its turnbuckle time !
You need one of these... makes building turnbuckles so much easier!

http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....ducts_id=13824