R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2012, 09:40 PM   #4876
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

A couple of other things from past topics.

My leaking diff was fixed by changing out the big o-ring from the stock one to the clear one. This has really stopped all the weeping issues and possibly took some of the notchy feel out of the diff as well, (or it finally broke in), this was based on the V2 diff housing and gears.

I had a nasty tweak that really killed my car at the last WCIC series race, I mean this thing was so bad, I had to get another person to press the chassis flat while I tightened the top deck, but every time I got back from a run it came back tweaked. I chased that for the entire weekend and never did get it fixed, the only saving grace was in my final I had a clean run, so it didn't tweak out on me again. Back to club racing, a little rougher racing, and one run and the tweak is back. To make a long story short, I finally found the problem...the lower screws on the right hand bulk head where holding the car down, so I loosened them with the top deck tight and the car pretty much popped back into place. Just to be safe, I did this on all the lower bulk heads and the car is very flat again. Just passing this down as I have never had a car that needed the lower bulkhead screws cycled, lots of toppers and upper bulkheads, but never lowers.

Also something I had missed, even after checking the front end of my car several times, is, using the inner steering hub steering link position. This seems to work on really small tight tracks where your trying to scrub speed and get into the corners tighter, BUT, not recommended for high speed flowing tracks. I couldn't believe how much that setting will kill corner speed.

Hope everyone has a safe and great Xmas and a Happy New Year.

I still owe you guys some pics too.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #4877
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

come on johnnny, get in your car and come see us next weekend!
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #4878
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
come on johnnny, get in your car and come see us next weekend!
Its just not going to happen for me . Believe me I would if I could .
Old 12-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #4879
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Machine! View Post
Intigy has a gunmetal gray 4mm, 5mm, & 7mm offset hex. I use them sometimes. I got them here: http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=2667
is that what you are talking about?
That looks like exactly what I want, thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #4880
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

does anyone run 48 pitch gears ? wondering what fits to get a range of 4.0-3.7 FDR

Last edited by miket3; 12-31-2012 at 01:58 PM.
miket3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #4881
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Based on overall widths of the hex as follows;

Stock Serpent = 5.48mm
Xray -.75 = 4.27mm
Wray +1.5 = 6.12mm

Ed, your steering rack mod seems to work well on carpet as well, I hope to run your V2/V2.4.5de/V2.1.5e/v2.2.1e this Sunday, but the prior mods do show good results so far.

Thanks
Nice info on the hexes, I've ordered the Xray -0.75mm and the 0.75mm shims to try out. I do think the car is a little wide for asphalt, so want to narrow it down a little

I think your autocorrect went a bit crazy there at the end I'm guessing it's testing the motor-mount combo?

I actually had the car on the gauges yesterday, and ran through a load of different steering settings. Interesting to note that the car has a lot of inside steering lock (31.5), with the outside lock varying from 19-22 dependent on the ackerman spacer. Using a 1mm ackerman shim as the baseline, 21 is achieved on the outside.
Also firmed up my thoughts on the bumpsteer spacers. Less spacers (raising the outer ball stud / lowering the link) reduces the amount of outside lock on compression.
One thing I also found, I can now get the steering setup to be equal side to side on the gauges, without touching the EPA on the transmittier, which I couldn't get sorted before... still think it's related to the drop down servo link.

Quote:
My leaking diff was fixed by changing out the big o-ring from the stock one to the clear one. This has really stopped all the weeping issues and possibly took some of the notchy feel out of the diff as well, (or it finally broke in), this was based on the V2 diff housing and gears.
I think I've also resolved some of my leaking problems too. I switched out the clear x-rings for some white normal o-rings from the VBC diff I have, as well as switching out the larger o-ring... seems to have stopped seapage from the outdrives.

Quote:
Also something I had missed, even after checking the front end of my car several times, is, using the inner steering hub steering link position. This seems to work on really small tight tracks where your trying to scrub speed and get into the corners tighter, BUT, not recommended for high speed flowing tracks. I couldn't believe how much that setting will kill corner speed.
Interestingly, I tested that out on the gauges after you posted about this. At full lock, the outside is more like 17-18, which didn't make sense. Anyway, I went back and had a look at the initial lock situation, and the inner links gave a lot more difference on the initial turn. For 5 inside, outside gives 4 on the outer hole, but 6 on the inner ones... my guess is that the inner links gain a lot of lock quickly then tail off, whereas the outer holes are more linear.

Well... I think I seriously need to get to the track sometime soon...
Old 12-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #4882
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

I modded my steering as per Ed's previous post. I am running on asphalt so i started with 1mm under the steering posts and 4mm under the steering blocks. I had to remove some ackerman shims as the xray ball ends im using with 2mm shims were fouling the hinge pin blocks. Even with the drop in ackerman The car had a lot more steering but did not handle the tracks bumps too well. I dropped back to 3mm under the steering block and this helped more. Took me a few runs to get a good feel for the new steering and then I ran out of track time. I really like the feel of this new set up.

Next on my list, I have organised to have my top deck cut in the rear as I do not own a Dremel. I'm hoping this cures some of the rear whip I experience at the end of a run..

Adelaide RC

Walter Rc Hobby
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #4883
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

can anyone recommend a good motor fan to use?
LOW ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #4884
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Shameless self-promotion, but a solid deal for anyone looking for a complete S411 package:

Click

R.I.P. Tommy Kraimer, 28 time UK Champion, 4 time JMRCA champion, and engineering mastermind behind the TKX-10. The world will never be the same.
Zaner24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #4885
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Nice info on the hexes, I've ordered the Xray -0.75mm and the 0.75mm shims to try out. I do think the car is a little wide for asphalt, so want to narrow it down a little

I think your autocorrect went a bit crazy there at the end I'm guessing it's testing the motor-mount combo?

V2/V2.4.5de/V2.1.5e/v2.2.1e = V2 steering rack/spacers(4.5mm)/david ehbar, etc, etc, etc, lol.

I actually had the car on the gauges yesterday, and ran through a load of different steering settings. Interesting to note that the car has a lot of inside steering lock (31.5), with the outside lock varying from 19-22 dependent on the ackerman spacer. Using a 1mm ackerman shim as the baseline, 21 is achieved on the outside.
Also firmed up my thoughts on the bumpsteer spacers. Less spacers (raising the outer ball stud / lowering the link) reduces the amount of outside lock on compression.
One thing I also found, I can now get the steering setup to be equal side to side on the gauges, without touching the EPA on the transmittier, which I couldn't get sorted before... still think it's related to the drop down servo link.

I ran the V2.2/1mm/ed modded steering rack with a 4.5mm on the steering hubs (1mm ackerman).....more testing required BUT on carpet, this mod and a couple other things I changed on the car, has made it so much easier to drive hard fast, the missing mid corner steering is there and entry and exit have not suffered either. The corner speed carries much better to the point that the car actually wants to be driven harder thru the corner, something I don't remember ever having a car wanting. The feedback from the car seems to dictate when it wants the speed picked up. The car felt unbelievably planted....front and back, the only way a could get the car to want to kick the back out was by intentionally oversteering the car on a hard 270* corner. I also believe that the drop down link may be the cause of some weirdness in the car. Eds mod fixes all of that.

I think I've also resolved some of my leaking problems too. I switched out the clear x-rings for some white normal o-rings from the VBC diff I have, as well as switching out the larger o-ring... seems to have stopped seapage from the outdrives.

Interestingly, I tested that out on the gauges after you posted about this. At full lock, the outside is more like 17-18, which didn't make sense. Anyway, I went back and had a look at the initial lock situation, and the inner links gave a lot more difference on the initial turn. For 5 inside, outside gives 4 on the outer hole, but 6 on the inner ones... my guess is that the inner links gain a lot of lock quickly then tail off, whereas the outer holes are more linear.

That really explains what the car felt like, it was like a extreme expo setting on the steering........all I can say is there must be someplace that its needed, but be careful with it, not for the weak of steering hearted racer, lol.

Well... I think I seriously need to get to the track sometime soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
can anyone recommend a good motor fan to use?

I use the Side Piece Racing Fan, from Mike Hanulec. They really blow (in a good way) and have very good life span. I just shoe goo it to the chassis behind the motor, I do have a deflector on it as well.

Last edited by Johnny Wishbone; 12-31-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #4886
Tech Elite

Quote:
I use the One Piece Racing Fan, from Mike Hanulec. The really blow (in a good way) and have very good life span. I just shoe goo it to the chassis behind the motor, I do have a deflector on it as well.
thanks for the info.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #4887
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
I use the Side Piece Racing Fan, from Mike Hanulec. They really blow (in a good way) and have very good life span. I just shoe goo it to the chassis behind the motor, I do have a deflector on it as well.
Good to hear that the steering mod is working out for you, I should be getting it on track on thursday myself for a day of practise... long list of stuff to work through.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #4888
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey guys I'm new to the serpent worlds have owned several other touring. Cars but got a heck if a deal on a serpent and its one of the only brands I haven't driven so I figured I would give it a try .does anyone know of a good site to look for a good basic setup for a high bite carpet /ozite track . All I have found is older setups and I'm just wondering if there is any up to date ones .. Thanks in advance
4wdmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #4889
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket3 View Post
does anyone run 48 pitch gears ? wondering what fits to get a range of 4.0-3.7 FDR
what he said^^^

what pinion/spurs are you guys running in 17.5 blinky (64p for me)?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #4890
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
what he said^^^

what pinion/spurs are you guys running in 17.5 blinky (64p for me)?
I run 64p 17.5 with a 96/49 and change pinion a tooth or 2 depending on track size
4wdmonster is offline   Reply With Quote