R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #4636
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I thought I would check to see if any S411 owners are interested in a BNIP LE #191 chassis? I got it with a car I bought but instead of using it and scratching it all up I thought someone may want it for the collector purpose. I'm asking $80 shipped so I can get a replacement. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent S411-le-191.jpg  
KyLayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #4637
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to racecees1
Talking

Hey i have a question about my s411
I have a ver2 or 1, really dont know and dont care but i have it only once this
year at the ETS this year and i have discovered that for some
reason the car drives really easy but it lacks cornering speed big time.
i drove with a 13.5 speedpassion and a cirtix esc.
I have replaced the standard arms with the hard ones and also
toe in blocks.
Mine topdeck is replaced with a 1.75 version.
i also use a RIDE spring set with 550 shock oil all around.
all the suspension brackets are standard kit and the stabi,s are also standard.
Droop is 6 front and 5 rear and i use no rolcenter plates in the rear and 0.5 front and stock front,rear.
The car drives really easy with a 4,5 modified motor in it but when i drove it with the speedpassion motor it just had no speed in corners and also zero roll.
I want to see if i can get a good set up with the stuf i have for my car and not to have to buy tons of option parts for the car.
Cuz im suffering also of the economic situation here in europe i can not buy major new stuff and have to do with what i have!
I must say that i have become more a fan for modified racing then stock racing because of tempering with motors and batteries.
I really like the car and want to improve the car so im hoping that maybe some of you have some really helpfull tips for getting more oomph out of my car!

Thanks allready
racecees1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:26 AM   #4638
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racecees1 View Post
toe in blocks.
Droop is 6 front and 5 rear and i use no rolcenter plates in the rear and 0.5 front and stock front,rear.
The car drives really easy with a 4,5 modified motor in it but when i drove it with the speedpassion motor it just had no speed in corners and also zero roll.
I want to see if i can get a good set up with the stuf i have for my car and not to have to buy tons of option parts for the car.
Cuz im suffering also of the economic situation here in europe i can not buy major new stuff and have to do with what i have!
I must say that i have become more a fan for modified racing then stock racing because of tempering with motors and batteries.
I really like the car and want to improve the car so im hoping that maybe some of you have some really helpfull tips for getting more oomph out of my car!

Thanks allready
I am far from am expert on setup, but slow corner speed to me usually means one thing. That you are slowing down for the corner more then others. This is usually because if you go faster, the car will not make the corner (push probably). Following this logic, there are several ways you can go, either trying to get more bite on the front end (more steering) or less on the rear (more rotation). Depending on this happening entry, mid, or exit will determine how you want to handle it.

More information about the slow cornering speed?

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
orcadigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #4639
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As Orcadigital has said, for stock racing one of the main things is "Use as less brake as possible" Try to keep speed as much as you can.
I made the change from modified to stock this year and one of the things that help me more was the 2.5 rear brackect, it helps the car to turn and increase your top speed.
You can also increase flexion of the car removing diferents topdeck screws.

If you use some rollcenter plates in rear you will win some steering entering the corner and maybe it will help you to keep some speed on the middle.

Regards
jimjav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #4640
Tech Rookie

Send a message via MSN to racecees1

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
I am far from am expert on setup, but slow corner speed to me usually means one thing. That you are slowing down for the corner more then others. This is usually because if you go faster, the car will not make the corner (push probably). Following this logic, there are several ways you can go, either trying to get more bite on the front end (more steering) or less on the rear (more rotation). Depending on this happening entry, mid, or exit will determine how you want to handle it.

More information about the slow cornering speed?

Hey thanks for the reply!

Well to be honest i have never had the problem of braking to much cuz i almost never had to brake before corners!! LOL but mostly i keep a pretty high speed and let the car roll in tight hairpins.
No the problem was really lack of cornerspeed and not much braking before the corners.
I forgot to mention by the way that my car has a really load of grip and thats the problem of the corner speed.
racecees1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #4641
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I don't know what Ride springs you use, but usually stiffer springs can carry more corner speed as it helps prevent overloading the outer tire (which can decrease lateral grip). Also, I always ran 1mm shims under the toe blocks (both stock and mod), but lately I've been playing with .5 and 0. A front gear diff can carry more speed but at 13.5 and faster it is usually a little slower overall, assuming 500k in it.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #4642
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default lowering steering rack.

Can any one explain why lowering the steering rack makes the steering smoother. Is it because of bump steer or are you guys shimming for that as you move the rack down?

Thanks,
VV
v_squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #4643
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Der Mo s setup....

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/serp...ch20121112.pdf

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4644
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Guys I have managed to get a deal on the rare exceed gears. Normally they are super expensive.

For 108248 price is 15 euros. This is with the out drives.

Let me know how many you need .

Good luck to all at races

Racing since the 20th century
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #4645
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

so how do you figure out rebound with the rcm shocks? i have two 411's, one is TE and has the updated shocks and one with the older ones.

building the old ones was very nice and trouble free, but how do you adjust rebound accurately?

must say, much less fiddling with them than the bladder shocks in some cases.

gonna run the non te car for the first time today with mod equipment on carpet. hope all goes well =)
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #4646
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
so how do you figure out rebound with the rcm shocks? i have two 411's, one is TE and has the updated shocks and one with the older ones.

building the old ones was very nice and trouble free, but how do you adjust rebound accurately?

must say, much less fiddling with them than the bladder shocks in some cases.

gonna run the non te car for the first time today with mod equipment on carpet. hope all goes well =)
To get equal rebound of the RCXX shock, I take a piece of fuel line tubing cut to about 6mm and then slit it so I can slip it over the shock shaft. Then I push the shaft in before completely tightening the cap. being able to repeat the upstroke of the shock as its bled makes them more consistent.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #4647
Tech Elite

Quote:
toe in blocks.

Thanks allready
If your not running ecs then you should make sure your not putting too much steering throw into the car. If you have to use full lock to get it to go around the corners you should re-adjust the car settings to get it to rotate on the nose more.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #4648
Tech Elite

Quote:
Hey thanks for the reply!

Well to be honest i have never had the problem of braking to much cuz i almost never had to brake before corners!! LOL but mostly i keep a pretty high speed and let the car roll in tight hairpins.
No the problem was really lack of cornerspeed and not much braking before the corners.
I forgot to mention by the way that my car has a really load of grip and thats the problem of the corner speed.
If you have a lot of grip, you should change your lower roll center spacing, go back to the 1mm stock spacers.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #4649
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996 View Post
The pics are from the original post by Chris... I'll have to take the measurements when I get home. Personally I run less spacers for ackerman adjustment - it looks like Chris has 3mm on his car and I run only 1mm for carpet. Chris likes his car to push a little initially - more mid-turn steering whereas I like more direct steering initially as well as throughout the turn. Two different driving styles and we both had the same comments about the modification.
Any luck with the measurements? FYI, I can tell you with the stock pieces and the flipped steering posts, there is no way that I can run 3mm of ackerman, the most before it starts to hit the front/rear suspension block is 1.5mm...........so I'm guessing the Tamiya arms are shorter.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #4650
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_squared View Post
Can any one explain why lowering the steering rack makes the steering smoother. Is it because of bump steer or are you guys shimming for that as you move the rack down?

Thanks,
VV
No, but I believe that they suggested that you don't adjust the bump steer shims if the rack gets lowered......they actually didn't run any bump steer spacers.